Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Trying to Get Ahead-But I'm So Tired

Each morning when I wake up, I feel sluggish, but bounce back within a half hour. The energy seems to peak about 2:00, and then slowly slows and by the time I'm home, I feel down right drained again. I have an appointment at the end of the month and until then, I'll continue taking the vitamin D and iron as prescribed and melatonin at night to try and at least maximize the quality of my evening sleep. We've had steamy weather too, and while heat generally hasn't bothered me, just like the cold of winter, the extremes are starting to get to me. I never could live in the tropics, or probably even the southern US states in the summer.

I'm still in a weird office move situation. I think I explained there is chain move situation in which a sublease organization needed to move out of the building, so division A could take their spaces, and 1/2 of my division B, could move into theirs, freeing space for 1/2 of division C, which leaves the last of division B (mine) and C, coordinating a flipping of  office space, but not quite one to one. As the logistics were not organized in advance, and due to vacations and just plain procrastination, there have been bottlenecks starting all the way with the subleasers vacating space. I packed and moved most of my stuff, organizing what I could but sine my computer docking station and phone haven't been moved yet, I've been working from a sparse cubicle, waiting for the now, overwhelmed IT consultant to get me moved. six of us are in this same position. There's still a swapping of items from file cabinets or moving the cabinets entirely. I need nine lateral drawers for documents that are old, but still need to be accessed periodically, otherwise we've done a great job purging. I've got file sin my office down to four small file cabinet drawers and one large, and quite frankly, could probably do another purge and wouldn't miss anything. 

Other than the move, we've got about four weeks before we start ramping up for fall and the start of the school year. When you work in education, but not in schools, people thinking you also have down time in the summer. The only thing that gives us a little break is that we have fewer stakeholders needing to reach us daily, but this is the time close the prior year and prepare for the year ahead. Come the week after labor day, our calendars will blow up until the school year norms a bit. My team has fiscal year end reports to complete, training session to get scheduled, and the updating of all the training we will provide starting in mid-August through September. It's busy, but I like this time as its our best opportunity to really think about the upcoming school year needs and hopefully get ahead. The vacation schedules are both a help and a hindrance. On one hand, it is quieter; there is more access to copiers and the computer lab and other shared resources. On the flip side, juggling meeting times with people that need to collaborate can get tricky. It is not uncommon for co-workers to not see each other for 4-6 weeks at a time if their vacation schedules and any work conference (also a major part of summer) schedules conflict. 

At home, despite being pretty darn tired, there is laundry to do, supper to get on the table (or as often as not, in a bowl while sitting on the couch watching  TV or YouTube). I'm frustrated with DD2's slow progression on her thank you notes. She's being thoughtful on what she writes, but they should have been out weeks ago! I'm giving her until Friday-not sure what the consequence will be, but I'm giving her until then. We've got some admin for college to get done today. I may take an hour or two off this afternoon or tomorrow to take care of it with her. There are additional health office forms, and some follow-up records for her AP courses. 

It's already mid-week. I feel like I blinked and lost two days. Summer is like that. I long for the lazy and long days I remember in the past. 



12 comments:

  1. The older I get, there are no longer long and lazy days. It IS horrid in the summer humidity and heat here in AL, but I love the lushness. I really prefer the heat to cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cooled down a bit last night ad in the shade was actually pleasant. I always thought I liked summer, and I do, but not this kind of summer.

      Delete
  2. For your daughter, does she have a list? Perhaps you can create an incentive for when she is 50% and then 100% done? They would be things you might already do, but I'd make it clear fun/optional stuff is off the table until she gets her chores done. That said, I'm parenting young boys who need that kind of system - it might be super over the top for a young woman her age ;-)

    I definitely go through energy spurts. Both with the weather, my own activities, what I'm eating, how I'm sleeping, etc. Hope you are feeling more energized!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has each card and is going through them and writing a personal note on the back of the photo card thank you's I ordered. She thinks she's about 1/2 done. She just gets distracted, the off task. She is way to summer mode right now. I actually was sleeping well last night-then the loud rain and mopey dog woke me up.

      Delete
  3. It is exhausting when you're not refreshed. I am a great one for power naps.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they would be good, but alas, not workable during most work days. I'm trying to see if just getting some fresh air might help, but it has been stifling. I hope the weather is a part of the problem because that changes.

      Delete
  4. You work hard and I am not surprised that you are tired and drained. I would suggest a power nap after work. I used to fall asleep while Hub's watched the news. I would sleep for an hour and was able to get up and get more done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My worry is I would go to sleep at 6 and not wake up until 10!

      Delete
  5. You have a very full life so I'm not surprised you're exhausted! Add to that the heat (give me the cold any day) and there's no wonder you're tired all the time. And I tend to agree, the "long lazy days" seem to be a distant memory don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've booked some time off in the fall-just for me. I have a lot more vacation time than DH, though he needs some down time as well.

      Delete
  6. Your life is moving at a pretty brisk pace right now, so it is not surprising you are tired, both physically and mentally.
    Being on the receiving end of thank you notes, I really don't care the time line of when I get one, or even if I get one, but it is nice to know the gift was received. I would say as long as she gets them all completed before she leaves for school she is still OK. That being said, I send gifts by mail to our nieces and nephews, most of whom text thanks the minute they get the gift with the promise of an official thank you to follow. I always tell them to do something noble with the price of the stamp and consider me properly thanked via text. (Especially since I only read the note then stick it in the recycling bin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of these came by mail-I should have helped her figure out which ones were at the party and which ones came by mail so those could have been sent out first. Hindsight. She promised they will be done by this weekend. She is writing a nice note in each one, so for those that do want a thank you, at least they'll get a heart felt one as she does really appreciate every gift she received. .

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.