Sunday, July 14, 2019

What exactly Was on the Menu this Past Week?

I'm not going to post menus on Sunday anymore. I never follow them anyway! I know meal planning saves time and money, but the amount of time I have varies on different days, along with who is home, and what we end up feeling like. Instead. I'll keep thinking about meal options, and post what actually what was on our plates the previous week. Perhaps that will give me better inspiration for ensuring we do not eat out as much (though failed a bit this past week). It was a very lazy week for me cooking. 


  • Sunday- Meatball stroganoff, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, corn
  • Monday-I made vegan curry and basmati rice. DD1 joined us as she and DD2 were doing practice set up of the tent. 
  • Tuesday- Combination of leftovers and grilled ham, turkey, and cheeses sandwiches
  • Wednesday-DD2 and I ended up sharing a pasta dish at Trivia, plus chips, salsa and guac with DD2. DH 
  • Thursday-DH made ribs in the slow cookie, then under the broiler, corn bread, and grilling baked beans, and Caesar salad. 
  • Friday-DH had egg rolls. I was not feeling well after work and later just had some toast and water. DD2 is gone with DD1 for the weekend. 
  • Saturday-Ate supper at a memorial service gathering. 

I'm going to try really hard to not buy anything this week except for bread and milk. I alos have a coupon for a free Take and Bake, part of a deal card from one of DD2's friends for Marching Band. That said here are options I'm thinking about. We have a lot of chicken-both some already cooked and frozen.

  • Grilled chicken, tuna salad, lettuce salad, and brownies
  • Spaghetti and meatballs
  • Mock lasagna with farfalle noodles and cheese
  • Chicken and rice hot dish with corn
  • Take and Bake pizza and Salad
  • Tuna noodle hot dish
  • Bean, cheese, and rice burritos and/or with fajita vegetables (mushrooms,onions and peppers)
  • Cheese and deli meat wraps
  • Homemade pizzas or mini pizza's with veggies and cheese

Nothing exciting, but I believe everything needed is in the freezer, pantry , or refrigerator with the exception of the milk. DH has a lot of take out lunches this past week, and I splurged on pasta the other night with the girls. Next weekend we have a family gathering at the lake and I'll need to pick up buns, but am going to use two of the five Sloppy Joe packages as my part of the pot luck. this will free up some freezer space. I've got $70 left in my H&G budget. We have a lot of food n the house, but the trick to meeting my challenge will be ensuring we use up what we have.  


I'm behind reading blogs already and then yesterday a newly subscribed to blog showed dozens and dozens of posts going back more than a year in my reading list. Perhaps the blogger hit a repost so they all looked like new posts, and I'm sure they are all interesting reads, but many of my standbys have been buried. My apologies if I have been seen as unreciprical. 


16 comments:

  1. Just this last fall someone explained a 'hot dish.' I always just always thought it would be a dish of something that was hot. What do you call the dish in which you put the food to cook it? I call it a casserole. I also call the whole dish of food a casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot dish is what Minnesotan's call a casserole. We rarely even say Green bean Casserole, but rather green bean hot dish at the holidays. I guess I just call the dish it is baked in a baking dish or pan, depending on the size and shape. I suppose I do hear some say casserole dish, but then they are referring to the actual baking utensil.

      Delete
  2. Our freezers are packed, so we really need to eat down the food we have. We have so much in there that it's getting difficult to navigate. Unfortunately, not all of it is stuff everyone eats (a lot of bread products, and M & I try to avoid, etc). So, some of it is timing as much as planning.

    For the week ahead, we'll be having a planned dinner out with friends one night, tonight we're having tri tip, one night will be grilled chicken sausages over salads. We'll also have leftovers, & then be out of town for a few nights as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll think about the details day to day I think. I have a hard time remembering what we ate or didn't eat all the time. I love grilled chicken sausages.

      Delete
  3. I do understand the posting menus vs. what really happens. I am usually far off from what I post and what actually happens. I will continue ,just because. One day I have hopes that what I plan and what happens will actually be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On occasion, the plan and the kitchen match. I'll keep havig my menu ideas.

      Delete
  4. Strange you should mention loads of posts from another blogger - I got that too yesterday. And I'm with you on not posting the menus - just seems like another thing to have to "stick to".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man though, to know what I will cook, and what people will get for dinner without having to think about-sounds really nice. I guess with just the two of us, and only a few nights a week on the same schedule, I'm going to have to figure out a better way to organize meals.

      Delete
  5. I'm no good at meal planning either - or rather I am like you and I can plan but then I don't stick to it. However, it sounds as though like me, you keep an eye on what is in the fridge and that's what gets eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am trying to be better with food waste-it is just so senseless.

      Delete
  6. You will notice I don't post menus as I don't follow them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of it and as Anne said, when the plan aligns, it would be a nice situation.

      Delete
  7. Not to be worrying - I'm on line today trying to get caught up after what feels a few weeks off line. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a weird traffic jam on my blog reading list and and quite annoying.

      Delete
  8. I can never remember my google PW and too lazy to look it up now. Anyhow this is Nan- I enjoy reading your blog! What I do for meal planning is try to keep a running list of what I have in the freezer and pantry. I just made one and am thawing a turkey breast which I'll brine as soon as it's thawed. I try to decide what to eat from my list of food I have and then of course, I do like to grocery shop. Saturday AM I went to 3 stores plus Aldi LOL- I maybe spent $10 in each but I like to buy the BOGO and all are with 5 miles of my house. When my third child was 16, I started planning for the empty nest and got a job and started a new career. You have your career so maybe a hobby you love which is what you seem to be thinking about. It will just be a new normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Nan. I like to know what I have on hand, and usually, I can still get something on the table without making a special stop, even if it is weird. Yes-I am looking at developing or devoting more time to hobbies since I certainly don't need to work more.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.