Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Let's Get a Little Serious About Thrift and Frugality

     I practice, better on some days than others, a thrifty and frugal life, trying to contain my wants, focus on getting needs met  on a budget, and yes, letting myself and my family splurge every now and then. Our splurge might be different than your splurge or any one's else's and my frugal wins might seem like fool hearty expenses for others. We try to manage our funds so that we can max our retirement accounts, cash flow our daughters college, at least her undergrad degree, give to our church and charity, go on modest vacations and the occasional big trip, keep our house homey and in good repair, and share in joyful moments with friends and family through celebrations and gifts. Admittedly, we have been more fortunate than most-not just most in the whole world, but most in the United States, the richest country on earth. Let me get honest. I am thrifty and frugal to try and make my already nice and  yes, charmed life, a bit better. My spending challenges are for intention, but also for game and personal satisfaction. If I spent $100 more on groceries in a month, all other areas of my budget wouldn't really be impacted unless I chose to let them be by cutting back. 

     I read a ton of blogs on thrift ad frugality. Many are like me, people leading a financially secure life, but looking to ensure a solid retirement and a healthy quality of life in with their families. Some have been on the financial edge, and are using frugality to  get back to where they were before a job loss, divorce, or health crisis. Very few though are written from the perspective of someone just trying to keep their head above water. I regularly read Frugal Trenches, mostly for a catchup on how she and her children are doing, but not so much for money saving tips. She adopted three children with special needs plus has her own significant health needs that make her life anything but frugal on the best of days. Her post the other day, Not Achieving Goals Despite Long Term Frugality was a sobering reminder of  how my good fortune in life has most to do with plain luck, and virtually nothing to do with any great financial sense that I may possess. See, I have the luxury of playing grocery games of challenging myself to spend $300 on H&G for the month There is no risk or penalty of failing. I don't even have to pull money away from another  budget line item if I don't want to. Sure, a few bucks less might have gone in savings, or maybe we'll skip a take out, but for the most part I'll just write about it and give myself a new challenge. Where as spending $50 on parking at the hospital may result in the writer not being able to pay her heating bill on a given month.

     I understand to a certain point what Frugal Trenches is writing about knowing that without a few lucky moments, life could have been very difficult for me as well. While put on bed rest, losing weeks more of income than we planned, I made it to 37 weeks with my son, and he did not have any health issues, despite being so tiny. When we had two kids in diapers and barely made enough to cover all the expenses, there were shopping trips that I carried a calculator along making sure not to go over what we had in the checkbook. There was experimenting with the cheapest diaper I could find and not buying any new clothes despite changing jobs from teaching preschool to an office setting. Things got better though as one child then the other was toilet trained (instant cash flow boost) and our incomes went up. Then both kids were in school and the savings from child care went into me earning another degree, paying for itself with higher earnings. We could afford another child, our extra blessing, and all our children have been for the most part, healthy. Even when DH was unemployed for a while, we had my salary, which along with unemployment stretched to cover all the bills, even though we tapped into savings for college tuition for the older kids. As she writes, having two people to rely on when times get financially tough is in and of itself a vital piece of individual luck. 

Sometimes thrifty and frugality are tools to get closer to your families goals and even dreams. Its a great tool for getting over financial blips, particularly knowing that they are just blips and normal spending, if so desired, may resume in the future. I can't let myself forget and be cavalier or  nonchalant that sometimes the need to be thrifty and frugal is shear necessity for many families, and maybe for some of you reading my blog. I'll keep writing about my  efforts, perhaps though, nudging myself to remember that I truly have been lucky and most of my wins come down to that. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned Frugal Trenches. I used to follow her blog but when I changed computer I lost my favourites - so now I can follow her again. I know what you mean about having the luxury of "playing" at frugality too. Although I lost a lot of money in my pension when I left 2 years earlier than I planned I still have a very decent pension. This was brought home to me just yesterday at the supermarket when I was standing behind an older gent who wasn't sure if his debit card would go through for his purchases - and he only spent just over 20 euros! I couldn't even begin to imagine having to worry about 20 euros. I had already decided I would offer to pay for it if it didn't go through but thankfully he was spared the embarrassment and it worked. Having grown up in a relatively poor family I KNOW how lucky I am - and that's a good thing actually. It makes me so very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read "Frugal Trenches," but you piqued my interest.
    Yes, we are very fortunate women, aren't we? I try to not forget that, in so many ways, particularly financially, I have LUCKED OUT. Mostly, because I had the good luck to be born to parents who valued education for education's sake. That overriding mantra led me, in my young adulthood live a life with a group of people with values very similar to mine, making the journey to this financially secure point a lot easier.l lifestyle, it is very important to remember that your values are YOUR values, and the rest of the world can pound tar. I remind myself that Money is a resource, which also requires an output of resources, mainly time, to earn. And, just like little bits of food add up to a large caloric intake over the course of the week, so to do little bits of money saved add up to a chunk of cash--if you save them, that is, bearing in mind your life's bigger picture. Those of us who have been doing this for so long might not realize how easily someone wishing to learn might overlook the little practices we now do as habit. It requires mindfulness, and mindfulness is a learned practice. Personally, I find that frugality cannot happen without mindfulness or intent, and mindfulness, for me, anyway, is one of the enriching life practices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Meg B. Mindfulness, that habit of holding back instead of going hog wild when you get some extra cash is what makes all the difference. Two people can inherit the same amount of money. One will invest it, or buy a home. The other will spend it all down to zero and have little or nothing to show for it. I know these two people.

      Delete
    2. Still though, if the bills are mounting the little extra cash is going towards those bills. If you read a few of her posts, the effort she needs to put forth daily to make ends meet would wear me down.

      Delete
  3. I do feel lucky now as met and married a wonderful man and we lead a nice stable financial life...but as a child I lived in pretty much poverty with one good parent and a deadbeat Dad who fled the country and didn't have a relationship with his kid. This after moving from USA to Canada when I was 10 months old. When he left Mom didn't even have a job. She managed as best as she could but we really never had 2 nickles to rub together. We always had a garden, thankfully. I was that kid that didn't get to go on school trips or have new clothes. Fortunately our neighborhood might have had 1 rich kid but the rest were like us so there was a bag of outgrown clothes that made the rounds to different households and no one made fun of you for never having anything new except maybe runners in September. Lots of people didn't grow up like that but I also know what food and heat insecurity is like since both happened to me. It is part of the reason I squirrel away money for a rainy day...I have seen that rainy day and don't want to go back. My husband likes to remind the kids of this regularly when they complain about being broke, they really have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never known food insecurity or housing so can't truly imagine either. I just hope I use my abundance well including for the wellness of others.

      Delete
  4. I will have to look up that blog. I feel like I have been in the trenches all my life. Still feel like I am there. Hubs being unemployed most of our first 10 years of marriage,having over $80,000 worth of medical not covered by insurance for a baby we had to finance a funeral for, then years of underemployment. Also my stupidity of trying to live a better life style then our poverty would allow, adding debt to allow my kids to have what I thought they should. So many mistakes, that I regret. But we are both blessed by a hard work ethic and just good luck along the way. You are a hard worker and you make your own luck. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Society jas a way of pushing wants as needs. You re moving forward Kim.

      Delete
  5. I worked hard, long and smart, trusting in my health and work ethic. But 100% disability when I was 46 and finishing school put me behind forever, it seems! Things are hard, but people tell me it is not my fault when I am down. Still, things have gotten harder.

    My friend who is letting me stay with him went to college with no job, no cares. All was paid for from his dead father's insurance. Wen I tell him my poverty in college, he has no words.

    Yet, I feel lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can throw fast balls pretty quickly. I hope your life stays positive now.

      Delete
  6. I had never read her before but did just now. It was a sobering post. I have known for a long time that I am extremely fortunate, and know that most of it is due to circumstances beyond my control, since I had no input into who my parents were or how they chose to raise me and what they chose to pass on as life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly- I start with my parents providing what I needed.

      Delete
  7. I had never read her blog. It did help me with a mental conflict though. I do some things that others in my extended family disagree with. Unfortunately it came up recently, my food budget is low because of scratch and dent grocery stores, gardening and canning. Others don't think we "need" to do these things because we are both employed and "doing well." Sigh. After having a number of issues happen and it taking years to recover, we have no desire to return and will continue our cost cutting efforts.

    Thank you for the little wake up call.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your savings methods hurt anyone else and are they safe? Then I'd let your family be ignored. No one knows where our own budget priorities are and if you have experienced insecurity in your budget, kudos to you for finding a way to save and feel more in control. Let them shop expensive places if they want.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.