Friday, November 15, 2019

Rowing the Boat

College football season is coming close to deciding what schools are in what bowl games. Our Minnesota Gophers are 9-0 and have a real shot at the Rose Bowl which will make many a Minnesotan heading to California to fulfill a bucket list item. I , hubs, nor any of my kids attended the  U, but there still is community pride in following your  state large universities. I know Anne over at Cooking and All that Jazz is a huge Alabama Crimson Tide fan. Anne, weigh in if you are fans because of college ties or just  because, they're 'bama? My older sisters late husband was an Alabama alum and top fan; because of him, we've all been  fans as well. 

There's an expression now "Row the Boat" that goes with the Minnesota Gophers. I didn't have a clue what it meant. The story behind is touching.sad and motivational. It stems from the mantra of the Gopher coach, P.J. Fleck after losing his son. You can read the details here at the St Paul Pioneer Press article. To quote the coach, 

“As you hold your son as he passes away, your whole life changes. What you believe in, how you’ve believed in it, what you’ve done to that point, where you’re going to go and how you’re going to live your life all changes. But Row the Boat is really my second son’s life as I continue to live his life for him. It’s his life."


Fleck has been great for Minnesota and not just as a coach. There were years of looking the other way as some football elite were more thugs than athletes, and for years, the school had to rebuild-is rebuilding the compass. He is a father figure, uncle, friend, and judge and jury for his kids-expecting  goodness, expecting leadership, expecting grace and humility, and dedication to their own futures. I think we all could use a bit more boat rowing. Now Go Gophers!

6 comments:

  1. It is great to have a coach who is a builder of men, not just players.
    TheHub and I met while at Alabama. 2 of our 3 sons went there and the 3rd is still an Alabama fan, but he opted for a school with a strong music program. He did host dorm football watching parties while he was in school and created Alabama fans there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure do have an Alabama family legacy. I'll root for them since likely they will never play Minnesota.

      Delete
  2. I am an Alabama fan if they are not playing Auburn. Auburn is who I root for if Auburn is playing Alabama. I am an Auburn fan because when my son was about seven, he became an Auburn fan, and I am not sure why. So, I became an Auburn fan to support son. I did attend Auburn for three classes beyond my MA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice-we support our kids right! Were you working towards a PhD?

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful metaphor. As Anne says, it's great to be building men and not just players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems very motivating to his players and fellow coaches. He is what is right about sports, and not all the bad things that can come out of obsessive winning at all costs, or elitist mentality.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.