Saturday, November 16, 2019

Things I've Been Spending Money On

 
     In my journey to save where I can and spend when it matters, I'm reaching a healthy balance I think. A month ago I was being a little batty about minutia savings, and worrying about money spent on everything, and posted Questioning Too Much Financial Worry. I had come off two expensive months in August and September, had paid not jut for books, tuition, and room and board, but had additional  music fees for my daughter. DH had  an OK, but not overwhelmingly good months and  was starting to get a bit of the weight of the next four years on my shoulders. I was even debating about a relatively small splurge for our 32nd wedding anniversary. Well, as usual good readers, you all gave me  great thinking points about it being OK to spend occasionally, and reminders, that I am collectively paraphrasing, that money is a tool to support a happy and productive life and not to obsess too much. 

     Lately I have been working both ends of the thrifty/frugal and money is for spending spectrum. I love my H&G challenges. I'm buying more whole foods that actually have to be cooked and pushing  my skills to make a touch more variety in our meals. With just the two of us home, leftovers are plenty. I'm either incorporating them into the  supper menus, or putting in smaller portions that I can grab and go for lunch. While doing this at home and saving a lot of money, we have not shunned eating out or take out, in fact we are spending  a higher percent than ever of our overall food budget on meals out of the house. The difference though than in past years, other then DH's  lunch runs on the fly, our  meals out have been for experiences and special occasions rather than just not wanting to cook. For example, my daughter and I wanted to try the vegan restaurant, J Selby's, and what better way than together and for a late birthday treat since she had been busy the weekends surrounding her birthday. 

     I realize I also spend  money at the brewery. Not a huge amount because occasionally I pick up the beers, sometimes my daughter, or a friend does. it balances out, but I think it is well spent. Trivia is a nice brain escape on Wednesdays', and last  night it worked out well for my daughter and I to play Bingo there from 6-8. She was getting up early to work out and then head to a college friends for the weekend as they were attending  a gala fundraiser, and I wanted to do something, but still have an early night. They have live music most weekends. The brewery has been a great community addition to our town and we want it to do well and prosper. 

     I added Acorn TV to my streaming services, at least temporarily. I like that  a membership can be stopped and started anytime. I've loved getting caught up on the 9th season of Doc Martin, but I won't share any spoilers! There's a couple other shows I've seen the preview for that look quite good as well. I prefer British crime dramas over US because they are more realistic, show the real time and effort it takes, and are not one and done in 60 minutes. I've heard about the issue that might be coming with different smart TVs and streaming services so we'll have to see if we have those issue with the large TV downstairs. We have already decided to get a new TV for the bedroom, so if we have the issues, we'll just do without those downstairs. We need to decide if we are going to ditch our current satellite package because of the various streaming services, but for now, have them all. Call me dull, but in the coldest of cold in the winter, a nice night out for me, is a nice night in with a take out meal, wine or beer and something entertaining to watch. 

     I'm been meeting people for coffee a bit more in the last six weeks. I'll gladly drink coffee at home using $3.49 Aldi vanilla or hazelnut (both are very tasty), while at the  same time spending the same or more on a single cup of coffee at an independent coffee shop meeting a friend or work colleague. It's just what it is, a necessary part of work life for me now. I met my friend N on Tuesday, who I have not seen since August, and we had a good catchup on our kids and family. Life just slows down in a coffee shop. Will I swing through a Starbucks for  morning coffee? Not likely, but I seem to not  hesitate to spend $7 on a cup of coffee and tiny muffin at the Dancing Goat.

     I don't claim to be a frugal zealot, but I don't like stupid spending. I know I could host more, have people over and not spend nearly what I spend on food and beverages outside of the home, but for now, this is working. If things get tight budgetarily, beer, coffee, and meals out are easy places to cut out expenses. I don't really have them in other places. People close to me know I am not putting money into my closet or house right now, other than a few candles. Saving and splurging is a balancing act. I hope I can keep things steady as I head into the great season of holiday spending.  

11 comments:

  1. It is hard to balance frugality and spending. I have been so frugal in some ways for so long that my sisters refuse to go out to dinner with me. I need to learn to relax about money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had that reputation in my family, but the fact was, at that time, we really didn't have spare money. I'd limit myself to water after maybe one drink and was not opposed to coupons and happy hours instead of full price meals.

      Delete
  2. You are frugal in your own way :) I've had to be way more frugal than usual lately, that means not buying the occasional lottery ticket...I am also fine tuning Christmas spending whereas in the past I would just buy more and more. It's been harder on hubby than me but the coming months look promising business wise so we may increase our paychecks soon, in the mean time I am practicing my old frugal ways. It's easy when more money is coming in to be a little more frivolous. The hardest thing for us is not eating out. I've tried to buy more varied diet items so we don't get bored eating at home - that is tough though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After decades of eating out being chain restaurants and the value meals, I've decided I'd rather eat at home and when we do go out, choose restaurants for better quality. That's been hard on DH who often associated volume of food to quality, think the Old Country Buffet's in the past.

      Delete
  3. I haven't even started watching the latest series of Doc Martin, I hope it's good. Sequels can sometimes be a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one. The season I was disappointed in was season 6 as it seemed a little too strained, though still very good. I thought the next couple seasons were really good, but I won't give any spoilers, other than I hope there is a season 10 or at least a wrap up.

      Delete
  4. I really want a happy ending for P.C. Penhale. He's my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't give any spoilers, but to say there needs to be a season 10. Joe is awkwardly adorable.

      Delete
    2. Got a trial Acorn account, just finished seried 9, and cancelled it promptly after the last episode. Something tells me there will be a series 10.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you at least are aware of where you spend and why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to look in my wallet or check book or credit card statement and not be able to comprehend where our money went. My choices will be different from others though, which is OK.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.