Thursday, November 14, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-Little Efforts Matter Edition

    


     It's so easy to spend money on nothingness. I like a good Target poke around as much as the next person, and always find cute things that if I was in the mind to buy, would be nice additions to my home, office, or closet. I don't always tell myself no. Last Friday I had to mail a couple things and pick up just a couple groceries and stopped at Target. I mostly wanted to look and stretch my legs since it was cold and wet outside. I found a few candles to supplement my sister-in-laws birthday gifts, and one for myself. I've burned down the one I like to use in the living room when I have lazy nights and wine. I found  some old fashion glasses in a hard acrylic, 6 of them scribed with the word "gather" in gold, and a black skirt-all of these on clearance at 50-70% off. Once home, I decided I didn't really need the skirt, it went against my clothing challenge, and it didn't fit as well as I would have liked. I plan to return it. The glasses though, I really like and I do not have any decent glasses for mixed drinks. I'd have bought more if there were more than the six. It was not a need, but I don't think complete nothingness. 

     I didn't save loads this week, but I also didn't spend a fortune, and  second guessing the skirt will put $12 back in my pocket. Other examples of thrift for the week included:

  • Used up the pork loin from last Thursday. DH didn't even complain about essentially having it three times in a week.
  • Put out an ISO for any jam and jelly jars. My friend S has a box to give me. Of course I will gift her back some jam once I make and can it. 
  • After DH's spending and my tight budget, I purchased only what I needed at the store and have $10 additional to put towards this weeks shop.
  • Brought both a batch of cookies and  salsa roll-ups to a party. Both were hits, and super affordable as cookies came from a $ .89 cake mix, and the roll-up ingredients were from Aldi and at most cost $4.50 for a large platter full. 
  • Received a free 2 ounce sample of Oil of Olay Shower gel, plus a $1 coupon.
  • I splurged with DD1 at the vegan restaurant, a late birthday lunch, but for less than $50, we were completely stuffed, had leftover buffalo cauliflower, and bought  community bowl tokens to pay our good fortune forward. We used one of the Starbucks cards we got last winter when we got bumped from our hotel, for a coffee a couple hours after lunch. Time with your adult kids? A priceless bargain. 
I like saving where I can which allows a little freedom and flexibility  from time to time. Will we eat at that restaurant regularly? Probably not, but it was a good experience in addition to tasty food. It will be extra time taking the skirt back, but the reality is I would probably  either let it sit in my closet, tag on, or wear once or twice at most. I'll wait to get clothes that I want to own. How about you all? Any savings this week, big or small?

3 comments:

  1. It is all on my blog and too lengthy for here. Tommy and I got a flu shot at Publix and each received a $10 gift card which I spent on groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop over and read. I hope you don't have an flu shot after effects. I had a sore arm for a week, though the shot itself was nothing.

      Delete
  2. Just our normal frugal activities. I like shopping at Target too, but do try to not go as often as I would like to. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.