Sunday, November 17, 2019

What's Happening in the Kitchen?

I rarely report back what we had have for meals in the week, mostly because I forget. But this week I actually tracked what we ate and what we have going into the following week

Here was the plan:

  • Sunday-leftover pork loin, sliced thin in gravy with rice, corn, and crescent rolls
  • Monday-Homemade breaded Italian Chicken strips with  parmesan potato wedges 
  • Tuesday- Crock Pot three cheese pasta prima vera
  • Wednesday- Rice and bean burritos/ bowls with pepper jack cheese
  • Thursday- Chicken stir fry vegetables and broccoli rice
  • Friday- Leftovers or a take and bake pizza (new shop)
  • Saturday- Leftovers or Take and Bake pizza depending on what we did Friday
And here's what we ate:
  • Sunday-leftover pork loin and mac and cheese for DH, made a veggie curry and rice for DD1 and myself
  • Monday-Crock Pot three cheese pasta prima vera, salad
  • Tuesday- Pork loin sliced with BBQ ( to finish it up), rice an broccoli side dish
  • Wednesday- Rice and bean burritos/ bowls with pepper jack cheese
  • Thursday- DH was hungry for pulled BBQ chicken, so made two large breasts, shredded and added $7 to my  spending by buying buns, tator tots, and sauce. It was pretty good though.
  • Friday- I went a different route home so didn't swing into Aldi, but instead stopped at Papa Murphy's, used a $5 off coupon for a family size  pizza. Leftover will be eaten by DH Sunday.
  • Saturday- We really didn't have much for leftovers as we were eating for lunches. I wasn't feeling well so DH reheated the leftover chicken and tots from Thursday. 
There was so much more pork loin left from the previous Thursday-more than I thought, so we got two meals out of it. I would have liked to try the egg roll in a bowl, but it would have meant a trip to the store, plus I didn't master the darn pot yet. DH was really hungry for mac and cheese on Sunday, and I was in the mood for curry and since DD1 was going to come over for the game and try and help me figure out the Instapot, I had a perfect reason to make a batch-which meant  two lunches left even after sending a couple portions home with her. I now there are rules for leftovers and I'm sure I pushed it with the pork, at five days between Thursday the 7th and Tuesday the 12th, but it was fine. What are your rules?

Plans this week include

  • Sunday-Fall birthday meal at Sister-in-laws, bringing a green salad and a jello salad 
  • Monday- breaded chicken, stove top stuffing, mashed potatoes, and corn (specifically to have two meals of leftovers for DH, lunch and a supper)
  • Tuesday- I'm travelling so DH will be fend for himself from leftovers or choice of frozen options-pizza, sliders, pot pie, Hot pocket, or Chimichanga
  • Wednesday- DH, fend for himself
  • Thursday- DH, fend for himself
  • Friday- leftovers from Monday if DH didn't eat, or Chicken lo Mein and egg rolls
  • Saturday- probably a pasta dish

Not the healthiest but I also bought a bag of salad for him to round out any of the frozen meals. There is also a portion of soup in the freezer, deli meats, cheese, and tortillas for wraps. I also prepared a couple chicken breasts and sliced them for easy meals. I don't know what he might eat for lunches and what for supper, but I bought many options on Friday in my weekly stop. so hopefully he'll feel like he has options.

6 comments:

  1. I guess I am dense today, but what are your rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant that there are safety rules for how long food is considered still safe, and I think it is usually three/four days supposedly days after cooking. My pork loin was stretched to five days past being cooked.

      Delete
  2. I love pasta so probably a pasta dish sounds scumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well as evidenced by my waistline.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He won't go hungry and it is only three days. ow I have to resist Philly cheese steaks.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.