Thursday, December 12, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-Nearly Done with Shopping Edition

  
   
     Well, DH finally went to the doctor. At first they thought pneumonia but a chest x-ray ruled it out, but did find fluid around his lungs. He is on a water pill  of sorts now to try and  drain the fluid and he will need to meet with his cardiologist. He said he felt better this morning. We have our daughters concert in Minneapolis tonight-I hope he feels well enough to go. This means a short work day for me. Since it is Thursday, I thought I would look back at any wins I had. No doubt Christmas shopping is expensive, but I got a fair chunk done last Friday and found some deals. 

  • Most of the deals was found at Old Navy. My sister had mentioned a jean jacket. I saw some on a rack, and not only were they clearance, it rang up at $ .97! There were two in medium and a small, so my girls are getting them as well. DD1 was with so she knows, but wow! I also got t-shirts (under $4 for both) to go with my niece and nephews books and diaries, and another shirt for my sister for $2.97, a nice linen  one that will be great cruise wear for February. Check the clearance rack!
  • DD1 is going to New Zealand in January and she too scored on summer clothes for pennies on the dollar. She is pretty set now and if something gets lost or ruined, she paid virtually nothing. We've been avoiding fast fashion, but since we all wear our clothes for years, I figured splurging on the clearance rack was a win.
  • Amazon customer service credited both my lost packages. I will no longer have things shipped to my house. My daughter will get them at her work, but I also learned our local grocery store has an Amazon locker for accepting packages. 
  • Hopefully DH is on the mend. Our grocery budget has been stretched because he is not eating much or going out to eat. He has stopped for more juice and comfort foods though.
  • My MIL is so hard to buy for but I came up with two ideas. One in Trader Joe's. She entertains a lot for cards and church circles. I figured why not get her a supply of quick desert mixes that she can just have on hand? I bought her four different ones at $2.99 each. I at least know they will get used because she likes TJ food. I also found her an inverted Umbrella, the ones that fold opposite. I don't think she has one and I thought it would be useful as it takes her longer to get in and out of cars and this will keep her dry while maneuvering. 
     So far I am in budget. I have some things for DS and DD2 still to fill in. I haven't done cards yet, though that is on the plan for Friday night, pick up Saturday, and get mailed by Monday, still a week ahead of Christmas. I'm not sure what I am getting DH-something at least to open that he will appreciate and needs, but not expensive because we just got those TV's. I got my holiday tree (adopt families)  items delivered last Friday to church, but want to do another drop off of food and  fill in gifts that our family service makes good use of in the final week before Christmas and the weeks when school is out and families often need  extra food pantry help. So my week, considering the time of year, was fairly thrifty. I didn't go overboard, and am choosing some good gifts. How is your budget doing this month?

6 comments:

  1. Well done on the Old Navy purchase! I would have bought several in my own size! Funny thing: Two of my kids get Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic gift cards every year, because they go on "Spend $50 get $8 Rite Aid Bonus Cash." (Used to be $10 if I remember correctly.) I then turn the Bonus Cash into other gifts which give Bonus cash. I have had the gift cards for several months, actually. The nearest Old Navy and Gap are about 25 miles away, which is doable for us.
    I have been "finished" shopping for a while, months, in fact. But, DH is a bit of an impulse shopper at Christmastime. For instance, at Costco I stopped and looked at an item, mentioning that DD would love them, and he said "put them in the cart, why not?"
    I have one luncheon meet up with friends today, kids have their last finals at college, and public school has one more week before break. After today's lunch I am not going anywhere, or making any plans from now until Christams! The house is decorated, the pantry is full of baking supplies, and I plan on staying home to look at the lights and watch the candles burn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the three jackets they had that were clearnaced that low-others were more of a cropped style and on clearance at $11.99, which still was good price. Other than church on Sunday and walking the dog, I plan to be home form Friday at 6 until I go back to work on Monday! .

      Delete
  2. I hope your husband is okay. This happened to my hubby years ago after a bad cold. Had nothing to do with his heart. I still have two son -in-laws and I need to send Hubs folks a gift on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still lingering and he feels exhausted. He missed the concert in Minneapolis last night.

      Delete
  3. I have run out of money before I ran out of month. I am glad your husband finally went to doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a while before he feels better though. He is still pretty ill.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.