Friday, February 7, 2020

My Cottage Pie

 
     
     I think I have the terminology down regarding some of the savory pies from across the pond. Shepherds Pie, a lamb stew baked with a topping of mashed potatoes. A Cottage pie, any other stew with meat topped with mashed potatoes, and Gardener pie, made with just vegetables. Feel free to correct me. I have only had lamb as part of a gyro or other sort of kabob type sandwich. It just is not common in the US or at least in Minnesota. With the odds and ends I have on hand, I thought the Cottage pie met the definition of use it up and comfort food for the week. With not doing any cooking for a couple days, Tuesday night I whipped up both a tuna hotdish, which we ate for supper and I brought the small portion DH didn't eat, for my lunch. I also made the  cottage pie. 

     I was lazy though, as I just was off on Monday with an upset stomach, and a poor night of sleep. I used a steamer bag of California blend vegetables and 6 meatballs cut in half for the meat. I used 1/3 of the corn we ate with the hotdish, a small can of mushroom's and a  with a combination of gravy from a packet, cut with milk and a little flour to reduce the sodium. It all went into a baking dish, and covered with prepared instant mashed potatoes. Prep was so minimal. Wednesday there ended up not being enough of us available so no trivia. After walking pup, I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for at least  40 minutes, dotted it with pats of butter, and added another 10. It was good and cold form the refrigerator so took some time to get the potatoes cooked through as the layer was quite thick.  I'm really not sure that they were supposed to have a crust or stay smooth, but it tasted good. There's leftovers for another night or a couple lunches. 

     In hindsight, this should have been a great meal to cook while I had kids at home. While I made stews  a lot, I was more apt to serve with rice or mashed potatoes on the side. This would have been easy enough to make a couple at a time and stick one in the freezer. Live and learn. Several of you have suggested this as a easy meal so I finally had sense to take you up on the suggestion. Have you tried anything new lately?

7 comments:

  1. Yes, shepherd's pie is lamb mince and cottage pie usually with beef mince but sometimes turkey or something similar. I think what we call mince you call ground meat - yes? I've never heard gardener's pie though: I'd call a meat-free jobby "shepherdess pie" but maybe that's regional. Gardener's pie makes sense but the English language doesn't always do the sensible thing on either side of the Atlantic.
    I make several of whatever-pie-I-am-making and freeze whatever I don't want to eat right now.
    However you have defeated me on one term - what is a gyro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My potatoes always get a bit of a crisp to them in a cottage pie. If you prefer them smooth, you can wrap foil around the pan.
    I made a strawberry swirl bundt cake the other day. I had a can of strawberry pie filling hiding in the pantry (not sure why), and decided I wanted it gone. I used more of a muffin base for the cake--less sugar since that pie filling is loaded with it. It turned out great, albeit more of a snack/coffee cake than dessert. I've gone off cooking since the holidays. My family has been having a lot of fend for themselves evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never see many of those pies but with meat or vegetables. Pot pie is what I see but never eat. As for potatoes on top--not something I see often in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good. I would like something like this. I'll have to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can't go wrong with an old favorite like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks good! we used to have either cottage pie or shepherds pie every monday night as a kid, made from the leftover roast on sunday - lamb or beef. its such a nice, simple meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmm, that's real peasant food in my eyes. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.