Sunday, May 24, 2020

Meal Review and Option Check-list

     Last week I had a mammoth shop spending $240. DH and kid spent some on DQ on the way home from college. I had DD1 pick up a few things at Trader Joe's and we made a brief stop for bread and bananas. I still have $75 to the end of the month to meet that last $100 challenge and bring our spending on food and household to $625. Now, I will be fessing up Thursday in a Non-Thrift post that this does not count a major double splurge of $125 on brewery hard seltzer and expensive take-out. Both were intentional purchases that I am choosing to separate from my self imposed challenge. Last week I didn't meal plan, but rather made a master list of the meals I thought I could come up with for the week, including extras for the long weekend. Those in red, were on the menu this week. 



  1. Hamburgers and homemade fries
  2. Hotdogs and pasta salad
  3. Crock pot pasta with vegetables
  4. Spaghetti and meatballs
  5. Meatballs in mushroom sauce with roast potatoes
  6. Chow Mein with Rice
  7. Rice Hot Dish with vegetables
  8. Tuna hotdish
  9. Chicken and stuffing hotdish with mashed potatoes
  10. Chicken, rice, and broccoli hotdish with cheese
  11. Grilled chicken, steamed carrots, wild rice
  12. Sausage and biscuits and scrambled eggs
  13. Lasagna
  14. Cheese Ravioli with vegetables
  15. Frozen pizza  (with quesadilla and French fries)
  16. Home made pizza with vegetables
  17. Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and soup (canned or bean fro freezer)
  18. Chili and grilled cheese

+ Goulash found a bag of precooked hamburger in the freezer I had forgotten was there.

     With my Sunday using up bit from the freezer and fridge and Friday's Take out, it was only five meals, leaving me plenty to create options this week. Since we decided not to go to the cabin, We'll grill chicken tonight along with a spinach salad, roasted carrots and potatoes. I'll do BLT's for lunch today-unless I decide biscuits, sausage and gravy sounds better by 11:00. I'll do burgers and pasta salad on Monday, and for lunch, whatever I didn't make today. The rest of the week will just sort of happen like last week did. I do need milk, eggs, hotdog buns, bread, fruit, and maybe some more potatoes. The college kid was looking for tortillas  on Friday afternoon for nibbling, so I'll add those. I can get all this without going into a real grocery store as Kwik Trip has limited produce, bakery, and dairy, so if DH's mom decides to shop for herself, it could be just a stop there. 

     What are your plans this long weekend? Does it feel the same as a regular week? Are your gathering with people, or continuing to isolate within your own home, or a bit of both like we are if outside?




8 comments:

  1. We had burgers & corn on the grill yesterday (with homemade mojitos) & today my husband is grilling chicken. We'll serve that over Caesar salads.

    Not sure about Monday. We'll have plenty of leftovers. Or, we may grill hot dogs.

    We're still sheltering in place, which is required where we live. We'll be using the pool & relaxing at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the pool. Grilled chicken on salads is so good.

      Delete
  2. We went on a nice, albeit VERY muddy, hike yesterday at a new to us park to find fairies! Today and tomorrow I am not sure what our plans are. Tomorrow is my hubby's b-day so not sure what we are going to. We might go to my parents for a cookout. We might stay home. Not sure yet. LOL If we don't go today, I am going to make BLTs for dinner after seeing a friend's photos of ones she made yesterday. They looked so good! If we don't go anywhere tomorrow I have the fixing for hot dogs and maybe pasta salad. Like I said we are playing it by ear. I hope that you have a good weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post and enjoyed sharing your adventures.

      Delete
  3. We are only seeing my daughter and her new husband. We are allowed up to 25 people, too many right now for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn. Ours is supposed to be 10 and continued social distancing. I'll just see what my comfort level is week to week.

      Delete
  4. I am doing some cooking too: ribs in the over; macaroni salad; a black bean salsa. I will eat it all with relish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find THE macaroni salad? I made tuna pasta salad and have leftovers for today.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.