Monday, May 25, 2020

Don't Know What I'm Doing But A Garden Area I Will Have

     Here's a lovely post I read on Facebook Saturday morning ftom a friend sprucing up her yard. 

"I am cleaning out my gardens and dug out a bunch of perennial geraniums. If you want some, stop by my house. They are in a red container on the side of the garage. Just pick out a clipping and barely put the roots under the ground and they will take off!

They spread, but pretty slowly. They grow anywhere and are very low maintenance. They bloom in the late spring.

I will be getting rid of lots of day lillies, irises, monarda (bee balm), and a few other odds and ends over the next few weeks, so let me know if you are looking for something in particular."

     My readers will know I am not a gardener but she walked me around, safey distanced, and showed  me a variety of plants and dug some up right onthe spot. I took home a bucket filled. Now I need to figure out where and how I want to make a little area on the side of the house. I have visions of putting a bench there as well  and reading surrounding by flowering plants, bee's, and butterflys. 

Here's what I have:
  • Perennial Geraniums
  • Iris
  • Monarda
  • And a plant she wans't sure of, but it was stunning-had a picture from last year.
     I  am playing around with some sketches, but the reality is if I just get some space cleared and them in the ground I'll consider it a win. I'll need DH to drag me out a good shovel and help me turn up some old yard debris. I also need a few bags of top soil to help me out a bit. When she tackles her day lilies, I'll pick up some of those as well. It's raining so the ground will get a good soaking and might be easier to turn later. Wish me patience.

16 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Iris corms barely have to be underground. They multiply and seem to want to lie on the surface. I had someone help me and they planted the corms about 6 inches deep in clay. Every year they come up but never bloom! Digging in wet ground always works best for me...lol. When I think of reading amongst flowers, I think of reading amongst the bees, especially with bee balm. I cannot wait to see pictures of your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be waiting for some time, but I like your confidence in me.

      Delete
  2. You will have some lovely flowers! The first time I planted hardy geraniums I put them in a semi-sunny spot. They burned there, so I moved the survivors to full shade, and they seem to like it there. You are fortunate to have a friend give you all these plants! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I think I have it figured out and will have some evenings to keep busy.

      Delete
  3. You've got this! We are always experimenting with plants, some of which work, some that don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know she offered me more if this first bunch wither.

      Delete
  4. I think any flowers which attracts butterflies and bees are terrific.
    The foliage of Monarda smells (to me) almost like basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a nice scent to ready by.

      Delete
  5. Any flowers this year are going to be fantastic. And in your case if they actually grow you will feel so accomplished :) I am sure they will, we used to have day lillies and once they catch they return every year like clockwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of those I have right now, I'm excited about the Irises. The Geraniums, if they take off will be a nice addition.

      Delete
  6. I think a "sitooterie" (Scottish word for a place to "sit oot") would be wonderful, surrounded by beautiful flowers. I'm not very good with flowers - just bung 'em in anywhere and hope for the best, but my neighbours have a beautiful garden (built up over many years) and it really looks lovely. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden will definitely be the bung em in type of garden. It's like I should have the inclination but it rarely goes to fruition.

      Delete
  7. If you live in my realm you have to be a hardy lot. I grow zinnias and marigolds well. Lantana is my friend also. If you are finicky and I plant you, you will die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure both of you are much more flower astute than you're giving away.

      Delete
  8. I like Anna/Treaders bung em in and hope for the best approach.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.