Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Mugs and What Goes in Them

     I don't have a vast mug collection, but rather an assortment of mismatched items bought by myself or someone else travelling. I have a few given as gifts, tucked in with a pound of coffee or holding a gift card. During the enhanced telework period, my team has been sharing our  Mug of the Day, just a little prompt to start our mornings. I started the ritual accidentally by having a different mug over three meetings in a short period, noticed by one of my team. It just became a meeting ice breaker that builds a little work life connection that is not intrusive. So many of mine are Christmas mugs, but are also of the right size to be able to fill and drink through a full hour meeting. 

     If I had more storage, I think I'd like to expand my mug collection so I have more variety to fit my mood and my beverage of choice. For my first coffee of the day, I like a nice wide and deep mug, enough to get a robust and strong coffee, but plenty of room for  cream, or at least milk as I tend to have at home. It needs to be big because I carry it to a comfy spot and am apt to slosh. Not great for carpet or comfy furniture. My Dollar Tree big white mug is preferred, but the Canada mug the girls brought me last summer, or a red mug from my  nephew are next options.

     When I take an honest to goodness tea break, either late morning or mid afternoon, I like to use a mug from somewhere I have or would like to travel. I often use a Chicago or Puerto Rico mug, gifted to me by coworkers, their places of home. I've been to Chicago airports more times than I can count, had a two day meeting outside of Chicago, drove through Chicago on a college visit road tour, and even did a fly in and out same day, but with less than an hour to wonder in the theatre district near the hotel. Why we have not gone to Chicago for plain travel, I don't really know. I suspect we will be road tripping more the next few years, so maybe in our plans. 





     I've had several friendly colleagues over the years who hail from Puerto Rico, and if they are examples of the hospitality shown, I'd love to visit myself. Here's some of the tea we've been enjoying. The box from Fortnum and Mason is long gone but I keep the box and put plain black tea in it. I know, odd, but it reminds me of London.







     My niece had my name for Christmas and this gem came holding some coffee sachets. It's not so obvious Christmas that I'll use ear round. It's another of those nice deep and wide ones. I like the idea of it for a hot cocktail. I'm not a cider drinker, but have decided mulled wine, or even the  fast track version of just warmed wine that has become more available the past few years. Of course the mug is way to big to fill, but cozy for the hand. I wouldn't judge anyone if they did fill it with mulled wine though. 




     My older daughter has been buying me coffee for a while as gift. She knows her mama! In college it was little portions of flavored coffees bought either in Milwaukee or on route home. Here last few international trips she has brought me coffee from Iceland and New Zealand. I guess it has become our thing and I like it. I have an idea for a crafty project with the bags, which is why I still have the Iceland one, long since drank. As you start your day, what do yo gravitate towards? Do you gift mugs and beverages? Are mugs one of your travel memory take homes or simply more clutter? 





17 comments:

  1. I use the same mug everyday. It’s on the larger side and has Mom printed all over it in different fonts, forms and colors. We also have all sorts, Disney, RealTree, Virginia Beach, one with math problems on it. My sister in laws mom got me a Starbucks mug from Hawaii and it’s my second favorite. There is a Starbucks Pittsburgh one that I really want but can’t justify spending $13 on it. Maybe someone will get it for my birthday? I like the idea of breaking the ice with your mug of the day. The little things make a big difference sometimes! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Starbucks mugs too, but have never bought one. If I ever find a charity shop one, I'll snatc hit up.

      Delete
  2. I got rid of a bunch of mugs at the charity shop not so long ago as I just had way too many. Plus I discovered another box of my ex's stuff in my basement and decided to keep some of his mugs as they were cute. My ex was VERY skinny and when we were in Shenandoah National Park one time he bought a mug with a pair of really skinny legs sticking out the top. I'm not sure it was a lot of use but it was pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a nice, big mug for my morning pot of coffee. That said, I dislike mismatched mugs, and souvenir mugs. I consider them clutter. I like my mugs to match my dishes. However, I have several complete sets of dishes, both formal and everyday, purchased at thrift stores. (Lenox and Pfaltzgraff. I couldn't say no at $50 for complete service for 8 plus serving dishes and cannisters, could I?) Prior to the move, I changed them with the seasons, but since the move, the spare everyday china sets have been in a box in the guest room closet. Somehow, though, the mugs are in the cabinet above the French press.
    You should go to Puerto Rico! I loved it there. In fact, I wanted to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate matchy matchy for coffee. Sure, if I have a set table, I'll match, but for me or close family and friends, I like the eclectic. I just have limited space.

      Delete
  4. I always like mugs but never drink from them. One mug I lost had my name on it and in pretty colors and flowers I like--pinks and reds. Then, I lost in the house one that said--Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges. I don't drink coffee or hot tea. I rarely drink hot chocolate. Most of my drinks are cold and icy like tea and Coke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are days, even in summer, I crave a mug of coffee. Love that mug statement. I'm borrowing it.

      Delete
  5. What a fun way to break the ice at a meeting where you may not know everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried in a big meeting and it didn't take, but this is just my small team of five.

      Delete
  6. I have different mugs for different drinks. I prefer tea out of a porcelain one. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a teapot and cup and saucer, but the reality is, I just bung a tea bag in a mug and I'm set.

      Delete
  7. I might use that mug idea for my meetings. As for me, I made a mug (three shades of green) at a work pottery painting event. My youngest was born on St. Patrick's Day, so was previously obsessed with the color green. I drink out of that mug every day for my coffee.

    In the afternoon, I rotate between two tea mugs. One was a gift from a nanny that we fired, but it's from Starbucks, and I love the shape & feel. The other is a mug I got from mentoring women at work, and same thing, love the size, shape & feel.

    My parents have dedicated coffee mugs, and adore their yearly trip to Hawaii. We bought them the Starbucks destination Hawaii mugs, and they use them every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older children received beautiful mugs made by a local potter form our pastor for HS graduation. I think mugs are a nice way to remember a trip-I wish I had a London, Bath, and Cardiff one.

      Delete
  8. I love mugs! All of mine came from charity shops and they're a very mismatched assortment. They'd be a great thing to collect once lockdown's over, a memento of each place you'd travelled to, even if it's just a mundane town! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to remember the place or a story behind the. My girls' have a freebie charity sale mug form a now closed coffee house in our town. Both claim it for their own-when rightfully it should be mine!

      Delete
  9. Any photographers around? If so, this mug just might suit them. This mug looks exactly like a 24-105 mm black lens with a realistic lens-cap lid with rubber-grip focus zoom rings. It even has an auto-focus switch that actually switches. Fill this mug with film for the film photographer or camera batteries and an SD card or stick drive for the digital image maker. steampunk mugs

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.