Sunday, July 12, 2020

Meal Options and Trader Joe’s

     On route home, my daughter and I were close enough that we did a Trader Joe’s stop. For those who have been reading my posts for a while, you know Trader Joe's has lured me into their retail clutches with a few only found there items and a fee quality staples that have become family and personal favorites. I spent $35 on a mix of frozen and pantry items. I also got a package of their naan, some clementines, and bananas as their bakery and produce is reasonably priced and good quality. I have a standing list for DD1 who makes a stop about one time per month, usually when she is in the area for w ork. Yesterday though there were holes in my list that I couldn't find-their vanilla almond granola, another frozen palak paneer, and vegetable fried rice. It was late on Saturday though. Besides these items below, I also got a jar of olive tapenade and fresh butternut squash ravioli. Occasionally Aldi has a version of these items, but hit or miss. These are my treats. I think if I lived in New York, I would make occasional outings to Zabar's, which I only know through movie, or if in London, Fortnum and Mason's. Yes, I know TJ's are all over and nothing special, but the foods are an affordable unique treat. 




 Anyway, with my medical drama earlier in the week, meals were once again all over the place. 
These were meals we had as planned:
Burrito bowls with rice and refried beans
Ravioli in mushroom white tomato sauce
Frozen Domino's Pizza
Homemade chicken tenders, homemade potato wedges
Plus:
Chicken patties and sweet potato fries
A couple nights of leftovers.

     DD2 had requested next weekend off, but was number four and they only allow three to request. She has been working seven days a week since June 8th and really wanted next weekend to go camping with friends. She ended up swapping a shift with someone that wanted yesterday off, but was scheduled and worked a double, so from 8:00 until after midnight. She works at 4:00 today, so I'll be happy to make her any nice mid day meal she would like. I just hope the girl she changed with doesn't flake out an decide she can't work a double next weekend. Beyond what DD2 decides, today is going to be a clean out the refrigerator day. I have eggs that need using up and bits of other items. The rest of the week may look like this:

Chow mein, rice, and egg rolls
Chicken patties, homemade french fries
Cottage pie with hamburger and mixed vegetables
Butternut Squash in mushrooms and roasted vegetables
Penne Pasta with roasted vegetables
Tuna Tettrazini with mixed vegetables
Egg bake with cheese and onions, diced potatoes
Homemade pizza with cheese and vegetables
Curry and rice with naan

     These all can be made with items in the house, though likely we'll do another shop of some sort. The weekly pops into the grocery store are the height of my excitement. There also could be a leftover or fend for yourself night. My sister turns 60 this week and we have an outdoor  party planned next Saturday, though I'm not sure how food will be done yet. I'm leery of eating buffet style anything. Covid19 makes celebrating a challenge for all of us; I'd like to see my siblings all stay healthy. What are you thinking of cooking this week? Do you have any shops that you only shop at occasionally, but have specialty items you just love to buy? Has anyone shopped at  Zabar's or Fortnum and Mason's. I'd love to know what you bought.



16 comments:

  1. I'm not in London but I imagine you'd have to sell a kidney to shop at Fortnum and Mason's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous store and one I would guess is more a destination shop than true shopping for staples.

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure I went to Fortnum and Mason's when I was in London in the mid 90's, and bought shortbread and lemon curd just to say I shopped there. I remember the shop was ridiculously expensive.
    We don't have a Trader Joe's near us, but when I am in the area of the closest, I pop in just to sight see.
    I have no ideas whatsoever about meals this week. One of our local farm stands has been harvesting raspberries, so I've bought 3 flats over the past week or so. I've made two batches of jam and several baked goods. (Pie, pound cake, kuchen.) The prices aren't great for a flat, ($28) but cheaper than the grocery store, fresher, and I'm supporting local farmers. It's not often that I splurge, so I am allowing this. Plus, I have over a year's worth raspberry jam (our favorite) in our pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of my raspberry bushes survived our whacking and are bearing some fruit. I will go out an d pick them later.

      Delete
  3. I hope you are feeling better, Sam. I've never been to a Trader Joe's, but have always wanted to go. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fun little place for some speciality items. I couldn't do allmy shopping there.

      Delete
  4. I have an abundance of coleslaw mix in the refrigerator. Besides, i love coleslaw. Even though I have plenty of cooked and frozen chicken thighs for Tommy, i am going to bake a couple of packages of bscb for freezing for future meals and for eating now. So, we will have different iterations of chicken for meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to eat a lot of chicken. Tonight will be cottage pie though.

      Delete
  5. We love their orange chicken among other items that we grab there. I am unashamed to syt ht we also help keep schwans in business these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cheaper than take out, and a nice change. I see the Schwanns truck but havne't bought in years-mabye over a decade since my son still livd at home.

      Delete
  6. I so wish we had Trader Joes in the UK! I used to regularly Skype an American blogger friend and she'd talk me through her purchases, I was green with envy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll do "hauls" but it is usually my daughter making hte stop for me since her work brings her that direction. The soup-oh my!!!!

      Delete
  7. I love Trader Joes! They do a great job with crowd control & social distancing in our area, but it also means that the lines are SUPER long. As a result, we haven't been in a few months, which is unusual for us. The kids love to pick up snacks from TJs. I also love the tomato soup you bought, and the tapenade. We often do "Asian takeout" night, which is the Trader Joes version of various Asian food takeout options: spring rolls, fried rice, etc. It's not cheap, but much cheaper than takeout, and yields lots of leftovers.

    I love their trail mix options as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The line was OK-my daughte said it is worse during the week, or the times she has gone there. She just waits and checks messages. It is cheaper than take out and sometime, I get so sick of cooking.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.