Monday, July 13, 2020

Monday Sprucing Up

     Monday gets a bad rap often as the killer of our weekend relaxation and fun. Tuesday has always been my struggle bust day, to quote my daughter, and once through Tuesday, the rest of the week is a cake walk. I've tried to look at Monday's as a new opportunity, fresh start. It hasn't been working very well since working from home, as my days blur, and I go so few places other than occasionally to my daughters, to the grocery store, and to the lake. I think though Monday's might be good nights to set aside for sprucing up projects, outside, inside, and for myself personally. It's an opportunity to use Monday as a different kind of fresh start. 

     Because I generally am not full of energy on week nights, these won't be huge purging projects, but things that I can do or take care of in 15-30 minute increments.

Tonight outside:
Weed rock areas around porch
Sweep off porch walls, and sweep sidewalk
Wash white porch railings (that are not looking too white at the moment)

Tonight Inside:
Organize spaces for the kitchen appliances-they have taken over my counter!

Personal:
Already did this early this morning. As I purge clothes that do not fit, I don't wear and do not like, I'm finding holes on a few very basic pieces. Since I will likely not be second hand shopping for a bit, and I tend to keep my clothes for years, I justified perusing a couple sites like Kohl's and Old Navy, to find basic fillers. I hit the layering discount jack pot and was able to get two pairs of linen pants, white and black, two long sleeve tunic tops, two sleeveless blouses (for now and can be worn under suit jackets), and a pair of slip on tennis shoes. I also got a six pack of socks for DD2, and a 10 pack of masks. With free shipping, my total was $106. Considering last year I spent under $60 on myself for all clothing and undergarment purchases, and haven't bought anything other than black slip on shoes,  nylons, and two long sleeve t-shirts this year, my cost per wear is pretty darn low. 

     There's my Monday spruce up for today planned. Planned is the key word. I might also make Monday night my pamper night too, breaking out a different kind of face mask! 

     As for ordering more of the covering mask sort, while we each have a few masks, I want to keep a washed ready and handy supply available. The mask sewers in my life are on pause right now and have done so many I don't want to be a burden. If fall plans do not change for DD2, I want her to have several backups as well and she may not always have access to her laundry room. This way she can wash them in hot soapy water and let them air dry. I'll get a couple more to my son and older daughter too. My daughter and I are supposed to be getting a freebie mask in the mail as well. 

     DH's brother's family was in Milwaukee this past weekend, one of the hardest hit  places with COVID outbreaks, plus were around hundreds of families across the Midwest at a youth sports tournament. They are not masks wearers and I doubt there was little if any social distancing as families tail gated between matches. We've decided we won't go to the cabin for the next two weekends if his brothers family is there, as the risk they have been exposed is much higher, and the opportunity for contact tracing much lower. This gives me free reign to look at day trip opportunities and explore places that fit my comfort level. 

     I'm trying to think of challenges as opportunities. Since Monday is going to come each week anyway, I might as well embrace it and turn the day into a positive. I won't normally be spending money though! 

14 comments:

  1. Mondays are different for me ever since Coronavirus started. I don't dread them like I used to do. LOL On the other hand, I don't necessarily love Fridays like I used to either. Now It's just another day here.

    You are smart to stay away from your BILs family. My BIL was here over the weekend to shoot and we didn't go outside with him as he never wears a mask and is around a lot of people. I just told him we are still social distancing and he was fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister in law sort of said it all, July 4th weekend. She sort of turnd the same strom differnt boat, or vice versa around to mean, why should thier healthy family who doens't think this is a big deal, have to alter the way they do things. I have been verysurprised how cavalier she is-myhusbnds brother has always been a me first kind of person, but I never had thought that of her. The distance leanring really stressed her out and she thinks it was for nothing.

      Delete
    2. I don't know any parents who enjoyed distance learning, but ... suck it up, buttercup. (not to you, of course). We are all making huge sacrifices in order to help others, ourselves, & get the country back on track. It makes me really sad not everyone is doing that.

      Also, I'm shocked there was a sports tournament.

      Delete
    3. I too was shocked that there was a toruament. My expereince is the parents use these as big fun nights and the kids swim etc. and hang out. Might be different, but I can't picture any social distancing.

      Delete
  2. I think you're right to avoid your husband's family at the moment if they are still not taking this pandemic seriously. I guess nobody does until it directly affects them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly surprised who I have leanred is so anti-precaution! My SIL's mother is a breast cancer survivor, and her twins were preemies, so one would think she would be extra careful, but she is so theopposite.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan for Mondays! I have also bought a few filler wardrobe items this summer.... mainly a couple new tunic tank tops that I can wear with my workout shorts and capris since I have moved to mostly doing things with the kids and my niece and nephew versus dressing a little nicer for tutoring, etc. I also ordered 10 masks off of Old Navy a few weeks ago and I like the quality of them. I got them as I am sure the kids will need some for school, and while Rebecca is making them some I wanted some backup ones in case they get lost, etc. I just actually ordered more this past weekend so that I can give some to my mom for my niece and nephew for back to school. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I amost wish I would have ordered twice as many masks. Well this will ensure we each have at least three or 4.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear the old navy masks were good. I think I'll give them a try.

      Delete
  4. It is weird to not be in any stores that even sell clothing now for5 months. It makes me wonder if we will ever just go shopping again, for anything other than necessities. Glad you were able to pick up some basics. Talbots is having a great sale right ow and that is where I get most of my clothes, they fit short,round people well.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these pants and tops, will be as comortable as sweatpants and leggings, but hoepfully look a bit neater-on this medium height round person.

      Delete
  5. Good on you for ordering some clothes - what you got sounds like a good deal!
    Don't get me started on masks, even our idiotic governemnt can't decided whether to wear them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I feel like the science supports that masks stop the spread, and if I am wrong, I didn't hurt anyone-compared to not wearing them and mindlessly potentially putting someone at risk. I have been trying to rid my life of fast fashion, but hopefully this investment will be the last and when I next buy clothes, I'll be back to sourcing second hand. We have somthing called thread Up which is second hand, but currated nd mailed out. I might give that a try.

      Delete
  6. Sam,
    Your "tonight" chores sound like a lot, at least for my capabilities. This is the time of year i buy winter clothes since i want sleeveless or very short sleeves. I just put a nice sweater over them in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.