Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Another Pantry Mash-Up

     I've taken a little turn from posting all vegan dishes, but I'll bring more recipes from my daughter in future editions. I'm trying to avoid take out this month as possible and tighten some spending in the grocery department. To that end, I'm back to focusing on no waste, which admittedly I got very lax at. I'm also looking at  what we buy and see if I can upscale humble items into melas that don't look like I spent less. It's no secret I a a dann of Aldi. I cringe after shopping at a regular store, spend nearly $100 and feel like I barely have groceries for the week. I know my dollar goes 25% if not more farther at Aldi on basics, and I find the quality of pretty much all I've bought there as good as the store brands and in some cases, better than brand names. As I try at create reserves in my pantry for if and when someone in my house gets ill, or stores shelves become sparse again, there are a few items I'll buy extras of too be sure. Some of these went into meals the last few nights. 




     Let's talk about the Aldi Tika Masala sauce. I just discovered this stuff a few weeks back. I find it hard to justify the time and energy when this ar of sauce is so easy and tasty. We like out sauce a bit thinner, so  after I empty the jar, I fill it with 1/3 of water, shake to get all the side bits, add another few heaping teaspoons of curry powder and add. The version below has a can of rinsed chick peas, a can of Aldi potatoes, quartered, 1/2 a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, and a sliced medium sized zucchini. I simmered thi all for about 20 minutes, served over rice, with Aldi bought naan mini breads. DD3 and I ate a full meal, plus she had for lunch yesterday and will today.



    Last night, and I apologize that I took the picture after we had eaten and before putting the rest aside for DH, we had doctored up spaghetti. I was planning on making the pizza bean burgers, but I had quite a day at work, and it would have involved getting the Ninja out, plus I was missing a couple ingredients. Instead, I cut up an orange bell pepper that was a day or two from being unusable, forgotten in the vegetable bin and a zucchini and steamed them. Along with a can of mushrooms, and the Aldi  basil pasta sauce, the veggies combine made a thick and rich sauce for spaghetti. 



     I never claimed to be a fancy cook, but I enjoy food with a little more than shelf flavor. This time of year when vegetables are local and abundant is the perfect time to load up in humble sauces, even if they come from a jar. Should I find inexpensive tomatoes and can cook some down and can for later use, and freeze some other  produce, we'll have a few really fresh tasting meals in late fall or winter. Those of you with gardens and your own tomatoes, and even if your ears are overrun with zucchini. I hope you are truly enjoying.

14 comments:

  1. A little imagination goes a long way in cooking meals with oomph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loading sauce with a lot of vegetables is a winner in my house. Even the use it up hotdish I made last night tasted pretty good with the fresh steamed broccoli.

      Delete
  2. We had an easy chicken chili that I made up to use leftover rotisserie chicken. It had few ingredients, and I could easily assemble it, so it made its way onto the menu. I was also able to use up jalapenos from the garden. It was good - I can see making it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought a rotisserie chicken in a while, but MEg B mentioned enchiladas and now with this for leftovers, sound so good. I may have to add to my next shop

      Delete
  3. I never use bought sauces but my sister has used them and I've been very impressed so maybe it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep jar spaghetti sauce, and now the Tika masala sauce on hand. If it means I can get a quick meal with a little variety, I'm not going to poke a finger at the jar. Of course homemade would be better, but some of them take hours to really simmer in the flavors, and I just am lazy.

      Delete
  4. I am a huge fan of keeping jarred sauces in the pantry. Like you, ours never is served totally as is (with the exception of Alfredo sauce) and some days having them available is the difference between saying to hell with it all and ordering take out vs. using it for a quick and tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, unless the take out is from a restaurant that has a real from scratch chef, my guess is there is a lot of short cuts being used such as packaged sauces, gravys, and soups. The time both of these took t put together was less than ordering and picking up take out, and far far less expensive than delivery.

      Delete
  5. Ditto what Treaders said. Plus, imported sauces like the Tikka Masala are extremely expensive over here. I usually try to imitate those sauces using spices, tomato sauce and cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My recipe" when I make from scratch is yogurt, tomatoes, curry powder, and peppers. It is delicious, but the sauce really needs to simmer for at least 45 minutes to bring the flavors together. I use inexpensive ingredients, so probably am only spending about $2-$3 on homemade,and the jar is like $1.99, so fairly similar in price, but the time difference is staggering.

      Delete
  6. I'm not real fond of the jarred sauces including spaghetti but I pretty much have always cooked from scratch. Last night I made a chicken dish with drumsticks- not my favorite part of the chicken but in my meat/produce delivery- and I followed a recipe almost perfectly LOL. I browned the seasoned drumsticks in a little butter, removed them and then added honey and brown sugar to the skillet and then put the chicken back in and baked for 45 minutes. It was delicious and I have leftovers for lunch. I served with squash. I love Aldi too- Mom shopped there back in the 70s. I do buy their pesto and hummus and don't often make those from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chicken recipe sounds very good! I didn't even know we had Aldi in the US that long ago. There are alwasy things I can't find, but so many things hae become a staple. I prefer homemade as well, but if it means I can get dinner on the table by 7, a jar it will be.

      Delete
  7. I just bought my first jar of Tikka Masala. I look forward to doing something with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kpet it simple with just veggie and chick peas over rice. It was so good.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.