Saturday, September 26, 2020

Days of Our Socially Distanced Lives-V4

      In my end of the week recap, I explored with pictures a bit more. Here's how I spent the last couple days.

Friday, September 25

     My morning pretty much started as it usually does with me up and writing my post, then returning comments, and reading posts from others I missed. Pup was ready for his time outside and to be fed. I had finally lugged in the big bag of food  the night before as I used th elast on Thursday morning. He should have had 1/3 left of his wet food, but it disappeared so I opened a new one. I started the pot of coffee, showered, took my pills, and dressed before logging in and preparing for the day. A 10:00 meeting went longer than expected, and while that was wrapping up, someone scheduled a short 11:00. That one was with a colleague who is navigating the hybrid world of  school and his six year old wanted to be part of the call. I am amazed at how well he navigates. 

     I stopped to warm up the last of the rice from the  burritos earlier in the week and ate that while returning e-mails. It didn't quite tied me over so I made a turkey and cheese sandwich as well. I noticed the ridiculousness of the two containers of spaghetti noodles, leftovers from the two pounds DH cooked last night, thinking he was being efficient. One will be made into tuna tetrazzini, basically tuna hotdish made with spaghetti noodles! Maybe low-mein with the other? How long does cooked spaghetti last.? No doubt I'll have leftovers of leftovers. 


     Pup was crazy barking at something so I had to take him out to show him no one was creating havoc with our lives. I noticed that once again the  two geraniums that expanded to fill a whole large pot had bloomed yet some more. Those two plants were the deal of the spring. I've had nearly five months of color already and no signs of dying.  


     After a less stressful day, but one that got busy  mid afternoon, I put the computer on sleep and took pup for a walk by the river. It was quite warm, topping 80. I brought a bottle of water and after a bit of walking, we stopped on a bench and enjoyed the boats on the river. I love the river walk, though I have mixed emotions about a  renovation of an old factory in process. The result will be condos, shops, restaurants, a hotel, and event center. It is sort of an eye sore on the river, but when done, if successful, will be quite stunning. It also will cram hundreds of people downtown daily. I'll be happy for the businesses, but miss the relative spaciousness for walkers and bikers on the river walk path. 



     I walked back to my car through downtown and noticed happy hour was just starting to begin as a few people were outside the brewery and a couple other  bar/restaurants with outdoor seating. The first block was already blocked off from traffic so tables could be expanded further or people could come with their own chairs. When we got home, I looked to see if there were any late e-mails that might get resolved before I logged off for good about 6:00. Supper was a chicken alfredo flat bread pizza and one baking potato worth of  air fryer fries. I did not want leftover pasta knowing I would have my fill, so used the Bisquick pizza crust recipe, and the leftover  chicken Alfredo. I added mozzarella,  onions, green olives, and 1/2 of the last of the pepperoni. A package of pepperoni goes really far when not using too much. 



     After supper, I hung outside a bit, chatted with neighbors, and took pup for a short walk just down to the pond and around the park, before cleaning up and starting the dishwasher. I surfed a little YouTube while DH out a movie on, but we both went to bed fairly early. Why am I so tired by 9/10:00? 

Saturday, September 26th

     I slept in for me, getting up at 6:20, but stayed in my bathrobe for a while. I got my coffee started, had my pill and supplements, and took the computer downstairs, turning on Premier League soccer while I read posts and responded to comments from yesterdays posts. (Wow what a game-BHA 2-MU 3) I think i might have fixed the Adsense and you should only see on the side bar. Let me know if it is still interfering with the text if you would. Pup slept in, so eventually when he got up, I took him out, got him fed, and started a load of kitchen towels, and cloths. 


     DH made himself his egg wrap, but I wasn't feeling like eating, as most mornings. He had met a friend for an outdoor lunch yesterday-not counting in my H&G and Take Out. His friend and wife want to meet tonight. We shall see-I will not eat inside, particularly not in a bar type restaurant. He said he'd work with them on arrangements and if it would work. 
I folded and put away a mound of  laundry left in a basket, then hopped in the shower after DH left for work.


     I stripped our bed and ut the sheets and quilt in the washer then cleaned the bathroom after getting dressed, unloaded the dishwasher, did a sweep, quick dust and vacuum, and called it good for the moment. After getting the bedding on the line and a load of whites started, I ran errands-bank for DD2 as I had picked up her last two paychecks from the restaurant, Dollar Tree for greeting cards, wrapping paper, and baking pans for freezer meals. Once home, I put a couple baby gifts together to get dropped off and heated up the potato and veg from Wednesday's pork loin meal.



     Bedding clean and dry, I made the bed and tidied up our bedroom-tidy key word as it needs a massive deep clean and purge. While I was putting this and that away, I got out some of the few fall decoration I have and put them out.  At the Dollar Tree I picked up these pumpkins and little scarecrows.  The other I had for a couple years, and stuck them in the hanging basket. The pumpkin yard sign was an early anniversary gift from my MIL. The cinnamon broom was from my daughter, bought at her last Trader Joe's stop. It smells so good, and I need to clear the clutter on my entry bench and stick it the broom on the hook. I bought the two other  hanging plaques for November and Thanksgiving as I figured they would be gone long before November. 






     I made two meals out of the spaghetti noodles, tucking one in the freezer, likely to go to the lake, the other to eat tomorrow or Monday. I talked to DH and determined it would be luck of the draw on a Saturday to get an outdoor table, plus there is predictions for rain, so he politely used me as an excuse not to meet our friends out since I absolutely will not sit indoors of a bar right now. They texted him and invited us to stop by for a drink outside in lawn charis. My sister had also called earlier and they were having an outdoor MInnesota Twins viewing in their garage, and if the weather cooperated, maybe having a fire. We decided we would go over, at least for a bit. We can definitely spread out.  I made a boxed cookie bar brownie to take along. I wore a mask when mixing up, and will do so when I cut in portions ahead of time. I had good intentions of cleaning out the refrigerator at the same time, but hit a wall. Instead, while the bar baked, I worked on this post, after I got the last load of laundry in the wash for the day. While smaller, I have just as many  load as when we had kids it seems, though I did more loads through the week. 

     I just took pup for a walk-it is gloomy outside, and need to put laundry away. DH will be home about 5:00, but will want to relax before going to his friends and then if timing works out, my sisters. His dinner will be the last of the Alfredo sauce, and spaghetti-he made his spaghetti bed, so gets to figuratively lay in it. I may just have an apple and peanut butter as my sister is making a crock of soup. Knowing her cooking habits, I think I'll be as safe as take out or more so. 

     I'm going to call this post done, and get on with those last things I committed to. Who's venturing out to restaurants? Am I being overly cautious on one hand by not meeting friends in the bar and grill, but still going to see them outside and to  my sisters garage get together? I really want normal-these dilemmas stress me out. 

18 comments:

  1. We've gone out twice, both to the same restaurant that has outdoor only dining. It's a large hotel patio area that they've transformed to take a never before outdoor restaurant outside. It's been quite a makeover & there is at least 10 feet between tables. Masks are required to enter, leave & use the restroom, & any time you are up from your table. Everyone working is wearing masks. I feel moderately comfortable with this scenario. I would not be comfortable eating indoors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we knew we could get an outdoor table, I'd be fine as we wouldn't even have to go inside, but to even go through the bar area is a stressor to me.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you, we haven't been in a restaurant since February and no plans to go. Your decorations look nice. I've been too lazy to drag mine up from the basement yet. I do have a question for you: do you wash your sheets and then just put them back on? Just curious because I have friends that do that and they make fun of me because I have piles of sheets sets and I only reuse a set about once a year. I think I need to purge but am trying to figure out a reasonable number of sheets and pillow cases to own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have at least two other sets of sheets, but usually just wash and change. I think it is personal preference, but I'd never need more than three sets and don't have the storage for many more.

      Delete
  3. That was a lot of spaghetti! Your pizza looks so good. We’ve not been out to eat since March either. I would rather be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up having a really nice visit with them, and a few cocktails, outside. We also stopped by my sisters-also outside. I worry with the colder weather-or snow, I'll be feeling quite isolated again. Maybe we will do socially distanced one couple at a time get together sin our house, but for shorter periods. I just don't know.

      Delete
  4. We have not been in a restaurant `or a church lunch or dinner since February. We will not go in one for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably smart. This is when I envy the south though-you all can still be outside for all of winter visiting with people.

      Delete
  5. Ha, when my ex used to cook he would be the one cooking 2 lbs of spaghetti also. It used to drive me mad because I was the only one who ate leftovers! And I think it's nice that they're doing up old buildings down by the river. In Birmingham where I was brought up they did up all the old buildings down by the canals (apparently Birmingham has more canals than Venice - just not as pretty) and they are all very "des res" so I think it's a good thing. And to your last question, yes I'm going to restaurants now, although not very often. I was there on Friday actually but the tables are more spaced out and they have screens between the tables so I don't feel that people are quite so worried here, but then we're also at a different stage of the virus I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad parts of the world are feeling more normal-it gives me hope, but I think Americans are collectively both more selfish, and quite frankly more stupid when it comes to health. Look a tour diets, and lifestyles as an example.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh our state opened up restaurants to 100% capacity now and no way, would I ever go. You had a busy couple of day. I'm going to see how much I can get done today- it's supposed to rain the next 3 days so usually that's conducive to work. I roasted a whole chicken yesterday and made an apple pie I froze. I have plenty more apples so i think I'll make and freeze another. I hate peeling, coring and slicing the apples though. These came in the produce delivery and I'm 'appled' out now- no more cukes either please LOL. As for sheets, I've given most of mine away- just one set for each queen bed. I take off, wash and they go right back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the peeling and slicing part of apples! I tend to make apple crisp-I prefer, plus I am awful at pie crusts though I found a simple one last year that worked OK. I don't feel like I was that productive, but I did get some things done I guess. I will be watching hospitalization rate as much as case counts as the weather gets cooler and more businesses open up.

      Delete
  7. We ate outdoors at the pub on Monday, but we eat indoors at the cafe, which has only a few tables, well distanced and the staff wear masks. It's as safe as it can be, and we feel comfortable there, which is paramount.
    Ads are much better than they were, though there are still more than there used to be. It's easier to read though, which is the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot-I thought I fixed the add thing-now today I see a ton at the end before the comments. I think different part of the world are better. You all n the UK seem to have better use of masks, distancing etc. than we do here, so I just do not trust the other patrons in restaurants. As I know you take the health crisis more seriously than others, I would trust your judgment, so glad you feel safe and get your cafe outing.

      Delete
  8. I love your Autumn decorations. Autumn is my favorite season. I love the decorating, and the cozy feeling of the cooler days and dark evenings.
    No meal plans here. Today is a roast turkey dinner--DD calls it "Thanksgiving Prototype." Last week, I realized I had 3 turkey breasts in the freezer. With the cooler temperatures, I figured one would be nice for Sunday lunch. I am sure turkey tortilla soup will figure into next week's menu. Our chickens are giving us loads of eggs, so DD and Girl made egg salad, which was what we had for Saturday dinner! (I wanted to finish a quilting project. I had made a chocolate cream pie that morning, and declared myself done with the kitchen for the day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do much, but even with the little bit, pulling in the driveway after church made me smile a bit, and that is what I was going for-a little cheer. The two new little scare crows in the door way though don't want to stay up, so now I have them in a chair. I might break the little stand off and poke in the ground. I am salivating over a turkey dinner-my absolute favorite meal, probably because the full deal only comes once a year for me. I used to be able to get Turkey drumsticks, and roasted a couple and had a mini meal, but now I never see them in stores. I think some one local must be snatching them all up or preordering them from butcher before they make it to the meat case. I know the grilled Turkey leg are so popular, so perhaps my timing is just always bad. I was also just thinking I should boil up some eggs for egg salad since when I got the $.64 Aldi eggs, I had a dozen already, though still dated for 10/7 and 10/9. Enjoy your busy Sunday.

      Delete
  9. Yes to any hot dish, esp. with spaghetti noodles!
    I just found a recipe for spaghetti-based taco bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even my husband has hit his spaghetti limit. The stuff multiplies. I can imagine taco flavored might be tasty.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.