Sunday, September 27, 2020

Menu for Maybe Real First Fall

 


     It's the last days of September and a new month starts before the week is out. I am not sure if we are going to get more of the warm weather, or if first fall will come back, so not really moving full on soup mode yet. I'm very pleased with how I managed meals in September. AND, as you will see on Wednesday, I even tackled the mound of spaghetti.  

     I still worked from the massive list of meal possibilities I made two weeks ago, but through in a few twists. Here's what we ended up having.

  • Sunday: My daughter and I had veggie burgers and DH a couple grilled cheese with a massive amount of sweet potato fries for lunch. Supper was a simple chicken broccoli, rice and cheese hotdish, and I reheated the last of the stuffed pepper halves, so leftovers for my lunch for a couple days. 
  • Monday: Frozen lasagna and garlic cheese bread.
  • Tuesday: Burritos/Bowls with spicy brown rice, ground beef, cheese, and refried beans. 
  • Wednesday: Pork loin, scalloped potatoes, and steamed vegetables
  • Thursday: Chicken alfredo over spaghetti
  • Friday: White pizza (usng some of the leftover alfredo, with pepperoni, olives, and onions, I large baking potatoe made into fries in the air 
  • Saturday: DH last of Alfredo and spaghetti, me apple and PB, and later had a bowl of soup at my sisters

     The pizza was a twist-thought I would give the Bisquick pizza crust recipe a try and it made a nice crust, but small, but right for us. I've made white curst pizzas before and since we were underwhelmed with the sauce as alfredo, thought why not. With the other toppings it was pretty good. I always par bake about 8-10 minutes, then do the pizza with toppings for another 12-15 so the crust gets nice and crisp how we like it. And here is what may still be in play for the rest of the month. As a reminder, while we do have leftover nights occasionally, I tend to cook about the right amount, or use leftovers for my lunches. The first two on the list will be tonight and tomorrow, but not sure which for what night yet. 

  • Tuna Tetrazzini-made with the spaghetti noodles
  • Pulled Pork sandwiches using leftover pork loin, baked potatoes or fries or wedges
  • Pork Roast, bought pre-seasoned for Carnitas ( and likely will freeze 1/2 as it is quite large), with tortillas, rice, black beans, and tomatoes
  • Chicken and country gravy over biscuits with steamed carrots and roasted red potatoes
  • Goulash with mixed vegetables (Oh, and a 2 # box of elbow macaroni)
  • Fried rice with pork or chicken, mixed veg and egg and egg rolls
  • Apple Cheddar sausage meatballs, scalloped potatoes and steamed carrots
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu over wild rice with broccoli
  • Chili and corn bread ( may make the chili today but to eat a few days later as it is always better after the spices cool into the tomato base, IMHO)
  • Turkey meatloaf, cheesy mashed potatoes and green beans
  • Sweet and sour meatballs, rice pilaf (maybe a risotto) and mixed vegetable

     I think I'll make cinnamon rolls, scramble eggs and sausage patties for brunch after church instead of lunch and then make a 1/2 recipe of the apple sausage cheddar balls, but may then put them in the freezer for a later meal. If the day stays nice, it will be something easy, though really all my meals are pretty basic. What is on your menu today? Anything new on your menu on the past week?

12 comments:

  1. All sounds good and congrats on figuring out ways to use the leftover pasta! I'm so ready for soup weather but still planning summer menus here in Florida. Working on my menu for the week right now. Hoping for cooler weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides the one in the freezer, we'll eat the last form the refrigerator tomorrow. I'll throw in crock pot with tuna cheese, etc. before I go into the office. That will feel weird!

      Delete
  2. I made your recipe for the apple sausage cheddar balls. They are delicious. I did stick them in the freezer and will pull them out bits at a time. Thank you for sharing it.
    Your meal possibilities sound great. It is supposed to get hot here gain so I am putting off fall food for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a batch, with one sausage roll and got 22 decent sized balls. I was going to make sausage patties, but then had all kinds of random things in the fridge that I through together for a hotdish. I'm glad you liked them. My daughter wasn't a fan, but hubs and I both liked and she's not here. I'll get a couple meals form them.

      Delete
  3. Veggie burgers and grilled cheese both sound so good, so do the burrito bowls. Your pizza sounds good too. There used to be a pizza place here that made baked potato pizza with sliced baked potatoes. I have always wanted to try and duplicate that at home. I need to be working on that. Your post is making me hungry. I need to go make some lunch. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased with how the pizza turned out, and with the one large potato for air fryer fries, was like another pub meal-flat bread and fries at 1/5 the price if that!

      Delete
  4. I baked four chicken breast with a huge amount of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. We had chicken and veggies for dinner last night and will eat the same again for tonight. I might make chicken alfredo if I have a jar of alfredo. Four breasts will last of for four meals, and I had a chicken sandwich for going out Saturday.

    With this cool weather, I am looking at potato soup with carrots and kale. Plus, taco casserole that is like taco soup will be good. AND, I plan to get a turkey or turkey breast from the freezer to cook later this week. For breakfast/lunch, brunch I am going to have a pb, MW and banana sandwich. I love those year round.

    It is still warm here, but I will plan cold weather food just because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say the Aldi Alfredo was not great-very thin, and with minimal flavor. I had to add a lot of pepper, garlic, and parmesan. I have a potato cheese soup recipe y older kids loved, and we called it Helen soup, because that was the name of the coworker who gave us young women at the time (27 years ago), the recipe. Every so often I see a Facebook post for one of these old friendly colleagues saying they made Helen Soup-and Helen gets a chuckle form it.

      Delete
  5. I roasted a whole chicken yesterday- had sandwiches and made chicken salad this morning but I did the same thing I did before and said I'd never do again- TOO MUCH! I can't freeze it and I'll be sick of it by the time it is gone...that means food waste ugh. I'm craving something sweet too- could bake an apple but that's not really like apple pie is it LOL? Love your menu- when you say lasagna is that from scratch? It's one of my favorites but I make so much I can only serve it with company even if i use 2 smaller pans. Mine is fattening and heavy. I have quite a bit of marinara sauce from produce tomatoes so might make a pizza later this week when the chicken salad is almost gone. I know I'll never finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tuna hotdish has mayonnaise in it. I Wonder if you could turn your tuna salad into a hotdish similar to how I make my tuna hotdish? What if you added a white sauce and cheese, topped with bread crumb and baked. Voila-new recipe. I think it could work for either chicken past a salad, or just the chicken salad for sandwiches. Normally I make lasagna from scratch, but I had popped a four serving frozen Bremer from Aldi in my cart for just such a night. It was mediocre at best.

      Delete
  6. I was not aware one could make a crust out of bisquick. We have such and perhaps I can give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the Aldi version, but googling Bisquick gives tons of ideas.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.