Sunday, September 20, 2020

Meal Planning Sort Of-The Rest of the Month

 


     It was a quiet night after I hit the publish button. I still have plenty of wine for a glass tonight or tomorrow should I  choose without opening another bottle. It is so nice that better quality wines now can be found with screw on tops. The bottle was one of our wine blub bottles, so not the $6.99-$9.99 I'd pick up in the local liquor store. If I do decide to leave a cup or so, Meg B's comment yesterday put me in the mood for risotto, and I have all the ingredients for a creamy cheesy version. We shall see.

     Last week I made a massive list of all the options I could make, so less a menu, and more a brainstorm. Here's what we ended up having.

  • Sunday: We had made paninis and  homemade fries, plus roasted veg for lunch, so supper was yet the last of the Gyro meat and vegetables. I made popcorn later.
  • Monday: Brats and au gratin potatoes
  • Tuesday: Crock pot pasta with cheese, zucchini, and mushrooms
  • Wednesday: Bisquick pizza bake, half recipe, with added red peppers and onions (I thought it was too bready, but DH devoured it. I would perhaps cut by 1/3 if not 1/2 of the biscuit ball portion if I make again)
  • Thursday: Cottage pie with last of Sunday's roasted veg, and  sliced meatballs
  • Friday: Stuffed red peppers, plus DH ate last of cottage pie 
  • Saturday: Red bag chicken on plain hamburger buns, roasted red potatoes, cucumber, tomato salad

     And here is what may still be in play for the rest of the month. As a reminder, while we do have leftover nights occasionally, I tend to cook about the right amount, or use leftovers for my lunches. 

  • Pork Roast, bought pre-seasoned for Carnitas ( and likely will freeze 1/2 as it is quite large), with tortillas, rice, black beans, and tomatoes
  • Homemade chicken tenders and air fryer fries with steamed vegetables
  • Crispy chicken and country gravy over biscuits with steamed carrots and roasted red potatoes
  • Chicken Alfredo over some kind of pasta (we have spaghetti,  farfalle, and rotini)
  • Goulash with mixed vegetables (Oh, and a 2 # box of elbow macaroni)
  • Chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese hotdish, with drop biscuits
  • Fried rice with pork or chicken, mixed veg and egg and egg rolls
  • Apple Cheddar sausage meatballs, scalloped potatoes and steamed carrots
  • Lasagna and garden salad
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu over wild rice with broccoli
  • Burritos or bowls with beef, refried beans, rice cheese, corn, and tomatoes
  • Chili and corn bread
  • Turkey meatloaf, cheesy mashed potatoes and green beans
  • Sweet and sour meatballs, rice pilaf (maybe a risotto) and mixed vegetable
  • Pork loin with apple sauce, brown gravy and rice and some sort of vegetable
     If followed, it would mean I wouldn't have to plan at all until we go up to the lake for our vacation week on October 3 . Budget wise, since DD2 and I shared the peck of apples, I only spent $12 at the orchard, so I still have a sizeable balance of $42 until months end to meet the $400 challenge. I opened the last of pup's wet dog food (I put a few spoonful's on top of his dry), so will need more by Tuesday. DH will need sandwich items though I'm cooking up a big package of chicken tenderloins of which 1/2 will be for his lunches. I'm also down to only carrots, celery, a few baking potatoes, a few broccoli florets, and part of a zucchini for non frozen or canned vegetables. We also have no "snacks" other than plain tortilla chips which will be nibbled on today with black bean and corn salsa, so I may do a Aldi run Tuesday night, reserving perhaps $10 for a last week Kwik Trip stop for milk, bread, bananas, and eggs. Would anyone be interested in a $30 or less Aldi shopping haul? 

     My daughter is coming over for the game and she is bringing three sweet potato's she wants to use up to make wedges or fries. In keeping with our game day bar and grill type food, I'll likely make DH a couple grilled cheese and she and I are going to have the last two veggie burgers that have lingered in my refrigerator. I plan to make a small apple crisp as well, and the  chicken tenderloins need to roast. I think supper will be the chicken, broccoli and cheese rice hotdish to make sure I use the florets before they turn. Wow-lots of food prep in my house today as I already mixed up the black bean and corn salsa.  Would this meal plan of sorts work in your house? What are you eating more or less of right now based on what is available? Are you trying to stock up for pending shortages or colder weather or shopping the same?

17 comments:

  1. I think it's so great that you have planned menus in advance. We just sit there looking at each other at 5pm and say, "what do you want to eat", "no what do you want to eat"...and then we go get Taco Bell or Mcdonalds. Last night we were all prepared to go get Subway and at the last minute we decided on hot dogs and macaroni and cheese, which was actually kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done well this month with avoiding take out-Arbys once and Take and bake once.I don't miss restaurant food-I miss the experience of going out. I'm glad you enjoyed your made at home meal.

      Delete
  2. This meal plan sounds great. It would work in my house, except for the fact that my family gets stabby if chicken appears to often, and I have two kids who love pigs, so won't eat pork.
    I have stocked up--chicken was quite cheap, as was New York strip steaks, beef sirloin tip roasts, and ground beef. I also have plenty of bags of uncooked/pre-breaded chicken breasts in the freezer, which we love with sweet potato wedges, or on Kaiser rolls as chicken sandwiches. I love it, because I can put both the chicken and potatoes in at the same time, and 30 minutes later, dinner is ready. This brand has no soy in the coating, and soy is another thing the aforementioned kids also try to avoid--I haven't pointed out that their favorite teriyaki place uses the stuff by the gallon...
    I wish you were nearby. My old apple trees are prolific. Plus, the neighbor on the property next to me pulled up and asked when I was going to come and get his apples. He has about 12 trees drooping full of apples! Oh, they're not pretty, but they are tasty, organic, and perfectly fine for applesauce and baked goods, no to mention cider. I am hoping my tenant will join me in going over there today--we will literally have to push a wheelbarrow to get them! (She and I are friends with a woman who has a cider press--apple pressing is an EVENT for us.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not eating pork for a while to see if it was a throat close trigger, but I don't think it is pork so much as over processed foods. Its tough to come up with meals with food restrictions. Our first little house had two apple trees. I loved that.

      Delete
  3. I make a meal plan the day before I shop just to make sure I have everything I need or want for the week for dinners. I really don't follow day to day. I might not what chicken that day or something else might sound good. I also am stocking up when I see stuff that was hard to find or I use alot. My plan is to have enough so we might just go for milk, bread, fruit,and lunchmeat starting in November. I really don't want to be standing in line at Costco for toilet paper again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel fully stocked and more replace once used. I will have two spare mulipacks going forward.

      Delete
  4. A creamy cheesy risotto sounds so good, Sam. I like to make a rice and cheese dish as a main meal sometimes. Your menu sounds delicious. I've heard about that red bag chicken, is that the one from Aldi's that tastes like Chic-fil-a? I've not tried it, but I'm going to sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the red bag is chic fil a dupe, but I've nothing to compare as i haven't had. We get two meals out of the bag, maybe with a left over, for just the two of us. So at $5.99, not inexpensive but I guess better than take out.

      Delete
    2. I bought a bag last week but haven't looked at the ingredients or tried it yet. I usually make my own- pound a breast I've sometimes cut into thirds since they are so big- dip in flour, egg and homemade bread crumbs and gently fry in oil. You could use the oven too but a little oil doesn't bother me. Your menu looks great- I'm not craving a thing so really should sit down and plan some meals. I tell myself to quit printing recipes I find online because I make the same old things!

      Delete
    3. I don't bother printing either, but sometimes I look for things I vaguely have an idea about. I was looking for a baking mix pizza crust when I found the pizza bake.

      Delete
  5. I laughed at the comment about family getting "stabby" if chicken appeared too often. Tommy would be out of luck if he felt that way. They guy just wants food. Since I cook, my whims count...lol. I do ask if he wants this or that and most of the time, he says he does not care. I plan and cook according to what vegetables are here and need to be eaten. Leftovers get eaten before they get too old. Since I am allergic to mammal meat, I limit that. Thankfully, I love chicken breasts. Right now, there is an abundance of everything! I need to freeze vegetables and thaw meat for Monday.

    I have a huge package of thighs and two bags of legs or leg quarters, not sure, but I intend to cook those for chicken and dressing since it is about that time of the year (aka getting cool out).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything sounds great, happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some variety and that works for us.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's better and more organized on the blog posts than in reality!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.