Sunday, January 24, 2021

Creative Budget Menu Planning

      


     I lament like everyone on how groceries are going up. However, I don't begrudge the cost if the stores and supply chain are treating and paying staff fair and equitable wages. With more talk of a national minimum wage of at least $15 per hour, which I support, I guess I'd rather cut my corners by eliminating junk and ready meals, and stop moaning about costs going up. My Aldi shop last Sunday came in just shy of $87, so $20 over the $67 target. That left me with just $25. I forgot several things that I wanted for last week, so switched up. Not only had I not planned enough time to make chili on Tuesday, I forgot to grab chili beans. With snow pending last night into this morning, I did an early final shop yesterday, spending $24.85 I can't really spend any more if I want to meet my $500 total spend challenge on H&G/takeout/care package for daughter challenge. However, I think I'll be fine with items I bought yesterday-see below. It's challenging me in a good way to make sure to use all the ingredients I bought, and make sure we are getting a balanced meal. Here's what we ate last week.

DH and my pizza.

Daughter’s vegan pizza.

  • Sunday: *Pork loin, mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits 
  • Monday: Bean and cheese enchiladas with rice (make extra rice for Weds)  Used this enchilada sauce).
  • Tuesday: Leftover hotdish from Saturday because I didn't get chili started with *hotdogs 
  • Wednesday: Rice crust quiche with  mixed vegetables, **rosti's
  • Thursday: Ranch (forgot Parmesan and budget was too stretched so made due without) chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans
  • Friday: Homemade pepperoni pizza 
  • Saturday: BBQ Chicken sandwiches and  homemade French fries
*2nd meal put in freezer. I switched pork loin for pork chops as I found a massive loin for $7.03. I froze half the cooked pork loin, and three slices of the half we ate to use in Cottage pie. 
** I looked into rosti's again, and while I grew up with them, I assumed because of my mom's Norwegian and Danish background, these were Scandinavian. Apparently they are Swiss. Also, I didn't peel the potatoes after a good scrub, but will next time. They were good, but a little woody tasting. 

Plan for this week:

  • Sunday: Spaghetti and meat/mushroom sauce, garlic bread using leftover hotdog buns
  • Monday: Sloppy Joes, French fries or wedges (used up hamburger buns)
  • Tuesday: Tuna noodle hotdish and peas 
  • Wednesday: Chicken pot pie (store bought crust bought a few weeks ago on clearance)
  • Thursday: *Chili and grilled cheese sandwiches
  • Friday: Chicken fajitas, rice, black beans, corn 
  • Saturday: Pork Cottage pie

  • *Indicates I think I'll have 1/2 to put in freezer

         I moved the menu around a bit from what I first thought to use up buns that were best dated 1/24 and 1/25. I could have froze the buns we didn't use last week, but they just don't taste good rethawed. I divided the hamburger in six, freezing three bundles and cooking three for chili, spaghetti sauce, and Sloppy Joes. Here's what my $24.85 bought. I have plenty of apples and quite a few clementine's, plus grapes left if you are wondering why so little fruit.. 
    • Chili beans
    • Salt (I forgot and had to use the remainders from several salt shakers for baking!)
    • Hamburger-5 pounds, because it was only $2.55 a pound in a 5 pound chub-plenty to go into next month.
    • Milk
    • Bread-bought a store brand wheat and a white for French toast that I will make later this morning for a change
    • Cheese for DH lunch (no deli meat needed as I bought both a pound of turkey and ham each last week) and grilled cheese 
    • Cheese for fajitas 
    • Frozen mixed veg
    • 5 Bananas (ugh-let three go too soft from last week so into the freezer they went for smoothies or bread.
         I'm pretty confident I won't spend any more for the month. I feel good entering February since I have a couple prepared meals to just pull out and reheat. I've got a bold challenge for February-something to keep me focused on meal planning which worked better last week than in the past. I think I'll be able to considerably whittle down the on paper budget for H&G. We'll likely support a business or two with take out next month, counting as both entertainment and eating out.  We've eaten very well, myself at lunch too, with several lunch portions in the freezer should we not have leftovers, but it was a no waste week, which is always a goal. Have you moved to meal planning if you didn't already? Are you managing your budget by doing more from scratch cooking or were you already a master? 

    21 comments:

    1. We have a lot of leftovers right now bc hubby has been buying takeout left and right! I possibly won’t need to cook until Tuesday. In no particular order for the week-ham soup, getting meaty bone out of freezer, Taco Bell fake out, bbq pork, toasty sandwiches, chicken something. I will do an Aldi shop this afternoon or tomorrow morning and that should hold til the next weekend. I work a few doors down from a Walmart so I can always run in there anytime I need something without going out of my way. I like to think I’m a good enough scratch cook but I just lack the energy/inspiration/time to do it. I doI cook more than most of the other moms I know. JoAnn

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Working outside the hosue, plus busy teenagers and I think you are doing a lot. Add that you often work weekends and I can see why not wanting to cook. Leftovers are great to give a break. Do your kids like to cook, or would they? My youngest still doesn't feel overly confident in the kitchen

        Delete
      2. My daughter is 16, loves to cook and is really very good at it but again it comes down to time. She has a few “signature dishes” that she makes-Trisha Yearwood’s beef stir fry, homemade chicken tenders coated in pretzel breadcrumbs served with a lemon garlic butter dipping sauce, a copycat Olive Garden Alfredo and she always makes the best mashed potatoes. She’ll often throw a pan or brownies or something in the oven. She and the boyfriend made homemade hot cocoa bombs over the weekend too. She’s very talented in the kitchen! My son can make a few simple things but makes his own breakfast and lunch every day so that helps me out too. Thanks for the kind words. I guess I do have a lot going on but I still feel like I always could be doing more. One of my New Years resolutions was to ask for more help. I’m not doing very well at that lol. JoAnn

        Delete
    2. I've been a menu planner and have cooked from scratch for as long as I can remember. I think both really help keep the grocery budget low. When I do my menu plan I start with what I have on hand and then finish it with sale or BOGO items. I'm eating more and more fresh veggies these days and have cut way back on portions of meat. I've been averaging 4-5 servings of fresh veggies a day and 1 1/2 fresh fruit. It's so good and also really saves on the grocery budget! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Good tasting fruit is so expensive right now, but I'm adding in frozen with yogurt and so forth to help get more.

        Delete
    3. I already do lots of scratch cooking. The thing I need to do is put more meals in the freezer. But, I need to put food on the table and leftovers are here. When I searched and searched for a can of tomatoes and finally found one, I was moved to get several cans until I now have six extra. Did you buy enough beans that you will not have to be short again? Do you ever cook these beans from dry? I never cook black beans from dry even though I have them dried, so not fussing about it. I have not had breakfast, so all this food talk is making me hungry!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Not this time-I only bought what I needed because of my challenge. I don't do chili beans from dry. If I don't have something, I just won't cook it, so I don't worry about being caught short on something I simply forgot last week so I would have forgot 2 or 10 cans.

        Delete
    4. We've always menu planned & made (most) things from scratch, but I'm trying to be better about rotating through our leftovers (in the freezer) & being more creative about using up what we have on hand.

      I inventoried the freezer on Friday, and made an effort to keep all prepped/frozen meals separated. It's already helping. And, I'm trying out a monthly (vs weekly) menu plan, to see if that helps me think slightly bigger picture about the balance of our meals, smart ingredient usage where there can be overlaps, & just reduces work in general.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sticking more so to a weekly plan is a big enough feat for me, so I'll leave monthly aside for now. Managing and remembering freezer stuff is a need I have-mainly for lunch portions. I know things have fallen to the bottom.

        Delete
    5. I started planning weekly menu this past spring. This really helps me eat more healthy and have leftovers for lunch the next day. By the way, last week I made oven roasted sweet potato wedges, following a suggestion you made a while ago! Although I still prefer regular potatoes, these were good and I bought another yesterday to make later in the week. Thanks for the "recipe!" I'd only ever had them in casserole with added sweetener and sure didn't like that! Celie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I never liked sweet potatoes, so I thought, because I had only had the as a casserole topped with marshmallows! Yuck. We don't have them a lot-about one time per month, but my daughter loves them so when she's home we have more often. She'll just bake one in microwave and that will be a meal.

        Delete
    6. I have cooked from scratch for a very long time for taste and health and it actually does cost a lot less. Plus, I just love cooking.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do scratch, but then use convenience foods within-so I guess quasi scratch! With just two people, there are so many leftover to manage, so I need to plan meals with them in mind.

        Delete
    7. I've done more home-cooking these last 10 months than I've done in the past 5 years.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know I did as much when 3 kids home, but not for just the two of us. We also have no out and about stops so leftover get reheated instead of fast food. I guess that is a good thing.

        Delete
    8. I spent way to much stocking the pantry and freezer but did manage to make a list of meal ideas just haven’t assigned the days to them
      Yesterday’s IP lasagna soup yielded 2 containers of leftovers
      Tonight is grilled steak and fried taters (I wanted to thank our helper for his help on the floor that still isn’t done)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do that too-list all the meal options. I'm trying this day to day meal planning out for a while and see if it helps get me out of a rut as I plan to cook something new or newish to me. A hoe cooked meal is a nice thank you.

        Delete
    9. I am mostly a from scratch cook, but Aldi has crescent rolls for 79 cents a tube, I take it as a message from God to always keep them in the fridge.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We love them, and they are accidently vegan. I found the "parcel" recipe is basically just leftovers wrapped in the crescent roll squares/triangles and I have to remember to add them to my list next month.

        Delete
    10. I haven't noticed the price of groceries going up but then I never go to the store. I have ordered from WM a few times- mainly dried beans and canned goods. Last week I made a big pot of black bean soup nd have been eating that for dinner. Tomorrow it's vegetable beef- I have a small beef roast for the stock.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Soup is nice to have ready for warming on cold days, isn't it. I know I have several portions of both turkey noodle and bean in the freezer-I hope I can find. Husband opened one of the TJ soups yesterday because he was hungry during the games and I had made French toast and was cooking later and didn't feel like making lunch. He fended for himself just fine.

        Delete

    Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.