Sunday, January 17, 2021

Menu Planning and A Challenge

      


     I was planning to use January as a level setting Household and Grocery (H&G) month, seeing how we are eating, figuring out what needs to be regular  residents of the pantry, and when we will splurge. I feel bored though, so am giving myself a challenge to end the month. Later today I'm heading to Aldi. I added up all our spending on groceries, household, take out, and even  the special cake for my daughters birthday and the items I sent back with her. We are at an astronomical $388 in the month! In the household budget, I put both a placeholder for eating out (ha ha) and entertainment (double ha ha), not counting the streaming services because I just stuck those with utilities. I put on paper a  grocery budget, a H&G (and health and beauty goes here too), for significant overall chunk of change in all these categories. These, along with clothing, and Christmas and gifts, is where I feel I have the most opportunity to trim expenses and challenge myself to whittle $3600 for the year or an average of $300 a month. Of course there are some places in other categories I'll look to reduce-streaming services, utilities (turning lights off!!), using gas coupons, to name a few. There's a couple semi annual expenses I'm eyeing at reducing as well, and I may consider any side perks that reduce spending, part of the strategy, so the full $300 isn't coming from the month to month budget. Still, I get in the habit of lazy spending without targets and challenges. 

     I want to support local businesses but we have spent quite a bit this month already on take out, so will hold off more until February. My self imposed challenge is to spend no more than another $112 for the rest of January, bringing in the month for H&G, entertainment, and eating out/take out to $500. Of course this is totally doable eating  nothing but rice, beans, and pasta, but I still want DH happy. I'll leverage what remains in the pantry, fridge, and freezer, and work to buy only what is needed for meal planning. I don't want to be pound foolish though, so if I find a really good stock up price, I will do so, but only count the item needed now, and the rest will be deducted from February. Don't laugh at me-these challenges give me energy and a sense of direction.

First to recap meals last week;

  • Sunday: I had popcorn and a slice of DH's frozen pizza. He had frozen pizza-the whole thing minus my piece. I've said he has an appetite, but this is not how he should be indulging it. 
  • Monday: Hamburgers and steamed baby red potatoes with sour cream
  • Tuesday: Bean soup, DH had a leftover hamburger with his
  • Wednesday: Brats, homemade baked beans, french fries
  • Thursday: Sloppy Joes, pasta salad
  • Friday: Mushroom ravioli in a spinach butter sauce, mixed green salad
  • Saturday: Chicken, cheese and farfalle pasta hotdish with mixed green salad (need to use this up)
     As I'll need fruit, bread, deli meat, cheese, and granola bars both weeks for DH lunches, plus breakfast items and coffee, the items to meal prep supper need to be carefully planned. I have a few things I'll buy this week that won't need to be bought again next week like coffee, large bags of carrots, potatoes and onions. I also need olive oil, flour, brown sugar, salt and garlic powder, so I am splitting my balance to $67 this week and $45 next Sunday. Roughly half each week will be towards the meal plan for supper-so $4 per supper, keeping in mind I'm using pantry items as well so really more like $5-6 per evening meal. For two people? Easy right?  I'm almost giddy putting this plan in action-such a nerd. Meals for the coming week I think will be...

  • Sunday: Pork chops (or maybe pork loin), mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits 
  • Monday: *Bean and cheese enchiladas with rice (make extra rice for Weds) Trying this enchilada sauce) if Aldi doesn't have a version on their shelf.
  • Tuesday: *Chili, with *hotdogs ( chili in crock pot since I will be going to office for the day)
  • Wednesday: Rice crust quiche with  mixed vegetables, rosti's
  • Thursday: Parmesan chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans
  • Friday: Homemade pepperoni pizza or depending on my budget and coupons, might get a take and bake. I have a $10 Domino's voucher as well, so for $5, I could pick up the 2 for $5.99 and leave a tip. It's a locally owned franchise. 
  • Saturday: *BBQ Chicken sandwiches and  homemade french fries
Things with a * likely will have 1/2 tucked away in the freezer even with keeping any leftoers for my lunches so stretching the budget farther, even if not eaten until next month. Need to buy-besides the restock of basic vegetables, fruit, lunch items, and other previously mentioned groceries:
  • Pork chops or loin
  • Corn tortillas (but will also buy flour for breakfast and lunch wraps)
  • Tomato paste
  • Tomato sauce or prepared enchilada sauce
  • 2 cans Chili beans
  • Ground beef (but might do ground turkey for chili, or may leave it vegetarian)
  • Turkey hot dogs and buns
  • Frozen mixed vegetable bag
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • Chicken breasts, thighs, or cutlets
  • hamburger/sandwich buns
  • BBQ sauce
  • Maybe Take and Bake or Pizza money. 
     I've been wanting to do rosti's and I haven't made a rice crust quiche in a long while and I think they'll be nice together. True Scandinavians would probably call my rosti's nothing more than hash browns. I have some of the cheddar-apple sausage balls in the freezer so may make a few for DH to go with that she-she meal. My menu is potato heavy so would love ideas for other side dishes. I'm giving pasta a break this week and already have rice twice on the menu. I need to learn to balance. Your thoughts? Is it doable with the other items I need for DH's lunches? Are you doing any self imposed challenges this January?

24 comments:

  1. Have you thought of using soba noodles or pad thai noodles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but mostly I am unfamiliar. I’ll take a look next shopping. I assume nice for stir fry.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are good with stir fry, veggie bowls with a little stock or in soups.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand and agree about the challenges giving you direction. You know my challenge for January so I'd have to say my ideas for side dishes are just heavy on the non starchy veggies. I've cut out all processed meats and staying low on the carbs. I was able to get chicken breasts, salmon, shrimp and tilapia all BOGO to stock up - huge savings! Overall I think my grocery budget has remained about the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I liked/ could eat fish and seafood. She’ll fish makes me I’ll and other than an annual fish fry fish, pass there too. I found a great price on boneless skinless chicken thighs so bought two large packs.

      Delete
  3. I love similar challenges, but my husband does the majority of the shopping & isn't much of a list follower. ;-)

    I was just this morning trying to think of a challenge I could do myself that I'd be responsible for, to motivate me. Still thinking on it.

    Have you tried making your own granola bars? They are quick & easy & there are a ton of good recipes. I like the frugal girls, in particular - https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/homemade-granola-bars/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made the bar’s and like them. He’s a grab and go guy so doubt he’d take one’s I make. He’s got odd habits. My challenge is as much about requiring me to really cook as much as the money.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Lori - soba noodles are just great! I don't do this kind of challenge because I'm not enough of a numbers nerd but I can see that it would be motivating! I'm finding I'm spending a lot more now that my son is living with me - hell he could eat for Britain if it were an Olympic event - but since I'm not spending money on travel and thus saving a small fortunate I reckon I can just suck it up for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge numbers need here! I spent a lot less at Christmas without my son home, but loved to feed him!

      Delete
  5. We have zero on take out this month. Hubby was offered a gas station pizza (it's pretty good) but refused and came home and we ate leftovers that has been shoved in the freezers. We have spent $1.99 on a gal of milk. We also spent $75 on stock up items that is not part of the monthly food budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the take out as bday/ school send off, but reining in. I need us eating better too, so want what I do spend to go to good food.

      Delete
  6. I am trying to eat frugal this month; I have to watch most the 'exceptions' thinking viz. this is an exceptional time to allow me the usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m trying a couple new to me frugal recipes and some from the vault. There’s always soup.

      Delete
  7. I had a low spend last week and shopped early for next week, spending our average amount. Still plenty to use up around here. Made a massive roast today that will provide leftovers and then be turned into vegetable soup. A chicken casserole, maybe some fried rice, and I’m craving a tuna melt. There are pop-can cinnamon rolls and I have some frozen mashed banana for banana bread. Daughter and boyfriend made chocolate covered fruit, Rice Krispie treats (deep discount Christmas clearance) and marshmallows yesterday and we will finish them this evening. Plus a bounty of leftovers, I may not need to cook until later in the week. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking of rice crispy treats yesterday! I need to get back to scratch cooking and not Trader Joe’s ready meals!

      Delete
  8. Brand new follower here. Found you in Sheila's blog comments. Read several posts and may I ask in which state you reside. The mention of brats and Kwik Trip piqued my interest... You inspired me to make bean soup! Best to you. C AKA KO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnesota and Kwik Trips have been here about 10 years now it seems. I love that mine actually has produce and bread, plus a small meat and dairy section that are not C store prices.

      Delete
  9. I have given up on any sort of $$$ limit challenge because TheHub is still a recreational shopper. Not as bad since Covid, but he still stops at Publix a couple of times a week and will blow any budget I try to create. Instead, starting Wednesday (kids are going home Tuesday) I am launching a very secret pantry challenge. I would love to shop for only fresh produce for the rest of the month. I need to reduce the freezer inventory as well as my waist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is totally a mind challenge for me. I got lazy with ready meals and sides so this will push more scratch cooking.

      Delete
  10. I am actually hoping to not have to grocery shop next week. We have so much produce here. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I likely won’t until February other than a few items. I bought more than planned.

      Delete
  11. As someone with a Norwegian heritage, I had to Google rosti. I had never heard of that dish before. It sounds good. We are trying to eat down our pantry and freezer which are pretty well stocked. I did do a grocery trip to di this weekend as we needed to stock up on produce. I love seeing other's menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess more Swiss if googled but I grew up eating them and my mom called them rosti and she was Norwegian-Danish.

      Delete
  12. I LOVE this challenge! I have already way overspent my "budget" but also decided on the 1/1 not have a budget for the quarter and just see where things end up. I suppose I could just say by budget is 1,000,000. and I would be under

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.