Saturday, January 16, 2021

Saturday Contemplation for a Winters Day

      


     I got behind in blog reading so have been out of order, and missed a few blogs before reading more current. You all have a lot more going on, or at least are making a more use of your time than I am. I also know January can be hard and dark month for many people, myself specifically, so being busy and having things to readily occupy the brain is a good one. Sleeping in on a Saturday and  giving space to do nothing isn't bad either. One blogger friend shared deeply about what motivates her drive and need to constantly be doing more. I want to start this post with a great big shout out to her, and to you all, and to myself, that we are all enough! How we manage our days, how we balance the strain of the political climate and strain of the pandemic impact, with the day to day life stresses of jobs, and bills, illness beyond Covid, extended family, and challenging situations is OK-no matter how we do it. 

     Kim might drive herself to exhaustion sewing, cooking, and caring for others but it's part of who she is! Rachel finds time to get her family outside in the fresh air, juggling when her kids are in hybrid or distance learning, while also sometimes caring for other people's children, and her parents-she is a rock star! Sluggy who gets joy form figuring out all the bundles of store points, coupons, and rewards, then gives generously to others from her hauls, and shares with us all how she makes it work (ad I'll never understand.). Cindy reinventing her blog on a regular basis-it's been like five iterations since I found hers, but who cares? It works for her and no one needs to read it if they don't like what version she now writes. I write these things for myself, probably more than anyone.

     Now I have three days ahead do me where technically I don't have to think about work. That won't be the case because I am on speed text and have the laptop at the ready to respond to my boss or bosses boss or the top boss. At least though I do not have drive anywhere or up to the cities if something urgent  needs a response. My daughter has a shoot for work today and DH will leave shortly leaving just me and pup and not even screen time meetings to talk with people, I could make a pretty long to do list, but haven't yet. I'm letting myself be slow and lazy this morning, though I've gotten pup outside and fed, and coffee of course. My daughter wants to come with me to Aldi, Target and Kohls-the errands I was going to do today, so I'll put off to tomorrow. If I keep the motivation I had yesterday, we're going to the county park outside of town for a walk/snowy hike. 

     I'm really scraping the bottom of the freezer for meals, but it means It will be easier to do a full clean out. So that is on the list yet to be made. I know there is a large, cooked, frozen chicken breast so supper will be some sort of hotdish using the chicken. I made a sauce for the  mushroom ravioli I showed in yesterday's blog using a little of the pasta water, a tablespoon of butter, and the remnants of a bag so spinach. Oh was it good! The truffle oil from th pasta leaked into the water so it made sense to reserve some when I drained. Seriously, the meal tasted as good as I remember the mushroom pasta dish at one of my favorite Washington DC restaurants,  Afterwords, part of Kramer books, outside of the monuments and museums, one of my favorite haunts. Maybe it's not even on the menu anymore. I haven't been the since fall of 2015 when DH, DD2 and I went for coffee and desert, my first and only trip as a tourist. 

     I do miss my trips to DC for work. They were frequent enough to feel a part of the  place, but not so much that it was a burden. Have I shared that my youngest  hopes after college is to live and work in DC, at least for a few years? Her majors will be assets in the non-profit and government environment. Scary to think about now, but of course over 700,000 in the District proper and 5,000,000 people call metro DC their home. I am thinking of all their safety right now, my friends in particular.

     Yeah, I had no real topic for today's blog post. It's one of my semi regular mind dumps-stuff I'd talk with a friend about over coffee at Cahoots, Nina, the Dancing Goat or Groundswell-no, none of these coffee spots are sponsors, I just miss them! I am meeting my friend N on Tuesday for a bundled walk, but we'll bring our own tea again. I'll make do this January weekend with the promise of walks with my daughter and a friend, a little excursion to the stores, and maybe just maybe, I'll get something done around here and will have content next week. 

16 comments:

  1. I slept in this morning (7:30 - super late for me) & it felt like such a luxury. We don't have much on this weekend (hahah, COVID), but I'm taking Nick to an outdoor masked training workout at the park this afternoon for his volleyball team. Other than that, since it's a three day weekend, I always feel like I have a bit more flex with my to do list, which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up getting a bit more done than I was intending, which felt good, plus the extra day technicall off.

      Delete
  2. I hope you won't have too much to respond to work wise for the next few days. Give yourself a nice break, take it slow and easy all weekend Sam. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-two texts and two responses, plus will need to review a draft of something heading my way-so not awful, but not work free.

      Delete
  3. Since my neighbour said she would like to walk with me I've found it easier to get going, even if I will still do things on my own. In fact she sent me a message this morning asking me to go out and I'm never going to say no since she is pretty much limited to the weekend. It's harder to motivate yourself when you're on your own but it's also ok to have "down time" so enjoy a few days of peace and quiet and doing very little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to both my walk with daughter and friend this week. I can go alone or with the dog (thur he sniffs and stops somuch not much of a work out!)

      Delete
  4. Just settling in for my Saturday nap. It's brutally cold outside and I have something good cooking in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. Life is good today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aroma from slow cookers is wonderful DH too a big whiff of my benas this week and was warmed up he said-even though they are not his favorite.

      Delete
  5. It's great that you are using up the items in your freezer. Mine is getting pretty bare too, but we are using stuff up and I like that. Your mushroom ravioli sounds delicious. I added some mushroom powder to a pot of homemade vegetable soup for dinner today. It's cold and snowy here, so it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw all that good flavor int he water and knew I needed to save some for the light sauce. It was Trader Joe;s past, but the res tof the ingredients were use it u stuff, so an upscale meal for two for $6, including salad was a win.

      Delete
  6. I love Dc and love being on the Mall I hope to return again soon. We should all meet and stay at my Sis's and do a girls meet up trip. How fun would that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fun. I was just thinking wouldn't it be fun to have a blogger get together. that's kind of you offering your sisters, LOL!!

      Delete
  7. I slept till a little after 8 this morning, but I was up until 3 reading. I have thoroughly enjoyed having Son3 and DIl3 here since the week before Christmas. It has made the covid forced isolation so much more bearable to have living breathing humans to sit and have coffee with and to have some form of conversation daily (Though they did work a good bit while they were here)
    I am really bummed about the continuing covid numbers and irritated with the large social gatherings (mainly weddings) that are happening here even though they are not supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you had your son and DIL for a while. I really missed not seeing my son this year. I feel for those that planned weddings, but I just do not get the risk to prolong this crisis.

      Delete
  8. Hope you have a good weekend.
    You have me craving ravioli now.
    My kid was wanting to do an internship at the Smithsonian last year. We lived in northern va for 6 years, but I was glad to move away after 9-11. Things seem worse now, and I'm not sure I would want to live in the area again. But our kids have to do what makes them happy. I'm just sad at what has happened to our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF my daughter got a Smithsonian internship she would be ecstatic. She may have a lead-a friend of a friend is a curator, but I think sh eis retiring in the next couple years so hopefully my daughter could connect. Its oe of many she would be ecstatic to get though.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.