Wednesday, March 3, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Vegan and Not

      If you are a peanut butter or chocolate fiend like me, run, don't walk to your kitchen and whip up this cookie, a mix of several recipes in my old 1987 church cookbook and a couple vegan substitutes. This recipe made, or will make by the time all get baked, 42 decent sized hearty cookies.


Vegan Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 1/2 cup vegan butter
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (I used chunky and that added more texture and nuttiness)
  • 2 Flax seed eggs (make ahead and let sit for at least 20 minutes to a slimyish texture, 1 tablespoon to 3 tablespoons water=1 egg)
  • 1 cup granular sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups quick cook oatmeal
  • 1- 2 cups chocolate chips, to your preferred taste. 
     Cream softened butter with  sugars and peanut butter. Add flax seed eggs and combine fully. In separate bowl,  blend the salt and soda in with the flour ( tend to just put it in my sifter with the flour), then add four to the wet ingredients. Add the oatmeal one cup at a time to fully combine. Add in  chocolate chips  about 1-1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. I used  Trader Joe's, 1/2 a 12 oz bag and as these are very dark, it was more than plenty for a rich cookie. Bake at 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Resist over baking so they stay soft and gooey. I only baked 12 and yes, I ate three within 15 minutes of being out of the oven. I brought three over to my daughters and left the remainder for DH to enjoy when he got home and Sunday. 30 frozen balls are in the freezer ready for a future indulgence. 



     Here's the not part of Vegan and Not. Juicy hamburgers. I think I have perfected stove top hamburgers. The trick is preparing ahead and what they are topped with. My hamburger was just a portion of the large chub bought back the end of January, the last of it, and about 3/4's of a pound, plenty to make three burgers, one for me and two for DH. It was a 70-30 hamburger, so the end burgers were not huge, but plenty and I think the higher fat makes a better tasting burger. To the ground beef I added a healthy tsp of garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and a few shakes of table salt. I chopped up  1/2 a small yellow onion, mixed it all well and made three large meat balls, put back in the refrigerator to get good and cold after having worked the meat. Spray a frying pan of choice with  cooking spray, which will help greatly later when cleaning up, and get the pan fairly hot. Cook the meat balls on one side, then flip over and do the other, and back again. At this point, you will have two seared sides, and the rest, still raw. Take your spatula now and smash down the burger. Cook on both sides to your desired doneness, but don't press anymore to retain all the flavor and juiciness. Toast your buns  either in a wide toaster or under the broiler, butter the bun when done, and you have a perfect smash burger. 

     Use more toppings or condiments of your choice, or eat without anything. On Monday because I had cream cheese and olives, I new I wanted a version of  either a Rook Burger, or a Grandma's favorite, two olive and cream cheese burgers at local pubs, one of which changed hands about 5 years ago and the  new owners no longer have on the  menu-it was stuffed burger. I've made that once, but it is very messy to keep together, and using the fillings as toppings taste's almost as good. I devoured before taking a picture, but found this version online. 

Green olive and cream cheese burger

     That's my pantry recap for the week. I have some veggie burgers in the freezer, buns, olives, and cream cheese left and think I might try a vegetarian version of the green olive and cream cheese burger for my lunch. If I do, I'll be sure to share the results.  Are you a cookie lover, but only when they are freshly baked like me? how about burgers? These may be two of my  favorite kitchen joys. 

21 comments:

  1. Hardly a week goes by without baking cookies. Oatmeal chocolate chip are the favorites. Someone once asked what I do with all those cookies. Well, some gets applied directly to the backside! Cookies are my currency. Just the other day, a kind neighbor stopped in and removed snow with his quad. He was paid with cookies. And there's always a neighbor kid who enjoys them. Yeah, I like cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why it took me so long to just freeze the dough ready to go is beyond me, We tend to like them, outside of Christmas, only when fresh form the oven, otherwise, they go to waste. In the summer, my nephews will devour at the lake, so not a problem. My daughter is regularly bringing in her tasty treats to the office, as would I, but I have a healthyish crowd and not na option now anyway.

      Delete
  2. You are making me hungry! M makes burgers on the grill, and they are fabulous. No idea what he does to them, but typically includes crumbled feta or goat cheese in the burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound pretty good! Our grill is on the deck, and lazy us, didn't remove the snow from the deck to open the door (dumb as a probable fire escape issue), so we'd have to walk around the house to get to the grill, so pan is a second option and these turn out well.

      Delete
  3. I just made a batch of cookies last night for movie night. I don't bake very often though. The smash burger sounds good. We have hamburgers about once per month maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if local, or all over, but I saw a YouTube on mock SmashBurger like the restaurant, and that is where I learned this way.

      Delete
  4. The cookie recipe sounds great, thanks for sharing the recipe. I try to only eat beef once or twice a month so I usually bypass burgers and grab steaks when they're on sale. I do make burgers for my husband occasionally, I usually cook on the grill or cast iron pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm not a steak eater-and would prefer a good burger!

      Delete
  5. I like my burgers mashed all the way through the cooking. I hate juicy meat. Dry it out for me...lol. Of course I like cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would struggle serving you a burger then. No hockey pucks here.

      Delete
  6. Yum! Those cookies are calling my name but, I am not making them anytime soon. Tomorrow I am going to make a beef stew and serve it with rice. It will last me two days so, I will not have to cook the next day. Plenty of salad greens to use too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a good beef stew in ages! That sounds so good.

      Delete
  7. I love cookies, straight out of the oven or cool. Doesn't matter to me as long as they are good cookies.
    The burger looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that I can resist when they are not fresh baked-I'd be wider than I already am. I love this cream cheese and olive topping-so good.

      Delete
  8. I need to search out what flax seed eggs are. I've now seen that on a couple other blogs as well, and had never heard of it before. The cookies look delicious, and so does the burger! I haven't had a burger in a long time. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy milled flax seed, and the bag lasts forever! I Tablespoon with three Tablespoons water replicates an egg for baking. They add fiber and omega 3 fat, but in such a big recipe, it is a pretty small per cookie benefit. I mostly use so my daughter will eat my baking as she is vegan, plus, if low on eggs and want to bake a nice substitute that is shelf stable. As I said though, vegan doesn't mean healthier, but there is a little calorie savings in the flax vs egg, the fiber benefit plus with the oats and peanut butter, this is a very hearty cookie-almost granola bar like and quite rankly, probably healthier than a commercial soft granola bar.

      Delete
  9. I would love one of those cookies right now! I can't - for my own health - bake a batch of cookies, or I'd just eat them all myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That the beauty of freezing-I will bake like 6 at a time, enough for a fix, but not overdo it.

      Delete
  10. I actually bought some cookie dough just to eat it. How bad is that? Cream cheese and olive burger. I will have to try that. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream cheese and olive is a winner-I did make a veggie burger and topped it with the two and it was quite yummy as well. The good thing about these cookies is I think the oatmeal uncooked is stodgy, so I am not going to eat the dough. I've never gotten into the refrigerator overnight oatmeal for that same reason.

      Delete
  11. I don't eat many cookies but when I do I am snot I want really good cookies no rubbish.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.