Wednesday, April 28, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-New Store and Spices

     On Saturday when DH and I were making the 25 minute drive to the  clinic that our  vaccine was scheduled, he got lost in thought and forgot to make a turn. Not too big of an error but instead of turning around, I guided him  down the next available   road, and   what would take us entering form the north rather than south. His error was a good thing as we passed a brand new opened Indian grocery and takeout. This was part of the reason why  when my daughter and I went grocery and thrift shopping, I suggested this town. We did a little wander of the aisles. Massive bargain priced per pound  bags of lentils, basmati and other rice, and other grains-more than I could think to use at the time, but will keep in mind when I really want to stock up. Aisles were filled with mixes, and of course spices. There was a sall produce, refrigerator, and frozen section-loaded with Indian  ready meals. I should have looked for paneer cheese, but was a bit overwhelmed with the labels. My daughter bought many bags including garam masala, turmeric, black salt, and curry powder.. I just bought curry powder. The two pictures below are the little .7 ounce spice jar from my local store (which at least carries it as Aldi and Trader Joe's do not) , and the 7 ounce bag bought at Indian Foods. 



     Insane price difference. The Indian Foods pouch, with 10X the product, cost a mere 50 cents more. Four Brothers at $1.99 per jar, costs over $45 per pound. Delight, as was the brand name on the pounch,  at $2.49 just $5.69 per pound! We're going to make a curry tonight and my guess is the pouch will be vastly superior. The color difference is noticeable, so ratios of what make sup the powder is surely different. We didn't get nay take out, but the smells were surely calling to us. Maybe another time we will and find a park. I know this town has a growing Indian American population and a few restaurants already, but this is the first grocery store I am aware of, a good addition to the community.

     I know many of you already do a lot of shopping in  ethnically diverse grocery stores, but I just have not had them near my home and where we tend to shop. I have a favorite Mexican  Mercado in St Paul that used to be a semi regular stop when I worked in St Paul, but now it is out of the way. I think I need to build in grocery shopping day trips to these little gems. Other things I need to better source is sesame oil, tahini, and cardamon. Please recommend any of your other favorites and I'll start mapping where we should  plan a shopping trip. Tonight, we'll enjoy our curry.

27 comments:

  1. I order most of our spices, tahini and oils from Rose Mountain Herbs. The quality is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make a mental note of that. I like the idea of finding small markets too, but online is a nice back up.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Wrong turn, (or lack of turn in his case) new find!

      Delete
  3. My local store has all of the things you describe, although cardamom is typically quite pricey. Sesame oil & tahini are not, but I can find a much better deal if I go to a grocer that focuses more of these type of products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've shied away form making my own hummus because of not having tahini, but when I've had others homemade, not even comparable! I love so many sesame flavored dishes, it is a shame it is not in my pantry.

      Delete
  4. I love shopping in the ethnic grocery stores but we don't have any close by, most are about an hour away, but well worth the trip now and then. I order a lot of stuff online through Amazon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure anything can be found online. I am eager to be on the hunt in person shopping.

      Delete
  5. Our nearest shop (in the next street) is an Indian supermarket. The dried pulses, bags of herbs and spices, canned tomatoes and chick peas, natural yogurt, insence sticks and sacks of onions are way cheaper than anywhere else.
    Check out the beauty products, too - Mysore sandalwood soap, Meswak toothpaste and anything by the Himalaya brand is well worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips and I will look for those products. I have envied seeing Jon's shopping hauls!

      Delete
  6. Geneva has lots of ethnic stores as it's a very mixed, international community, so I was pretty much always able to get what I wanted. Since retiring I go more and more to the Angkor store near me. I think he's Chinese but either way, he stocks whatever you need, and walking down the aisle of Asian, African and everything else in between products is just bliss. Almost as good as the souk in Istanbul or Marrakech!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying new foods, and experimenting with spices is a great way we can travel in our own homes, right!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun place to shop, and you got a great deal on the spices.
    I used to like shopping at our local asian market before covid. It is fun trying new things, although I didn't know what many of the items were since there is no english translation. My kids enjoyed trying the japanese cookies and candies, so I would always let them pick out a new item to try. They are adventurous eaters, and my son even likes those squid flavored chips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Hmong coworker in the past that would buy a special noodle my kids just loved at the store in her neighborhood. Sadly, we haven't worked together for a long while and when I have seen her at get togethers for someone retirement, or a past colleague meet-up, we aren't thinking noodles, but wine.

      Delete
  8. I love ethnic markets and they are much cheaper on some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spices and massive bags of rice sure were low priced.

      Delete
  9. I love ethnic stores, especially for their proteins very often. I also get a bunch of frozen ethnic meals at Trader Joe's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well at TJ's, but not sure how authentic. There is a vlogger on YouTube my daughter and I like and she is of middle eastern or norther African back ground and said the falafel mix was not good at all, compared to how her mom would make them.

      Delete
  10. I live not far from the Philippine/South Asian stores, and often shop there. I recently found the address of an Indian store withing walking distance on a nice day, and plan to check that place out.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just breathing in the smells was heaven. I love Indian food-another something I probably did not even have until I was in my 30's!

      Delete
  11. I shop at a few different ethnic shops around me. The Indian store is fun to explore and depending on who is staffing it, I can get a lot of information about products (or none)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the take out counter, they were being very helpful with customers trying to choose things to try. I think they seem to be a friendly store and were quite busy for a Sunday afternoon.

      Delete
  12. I ask my kids, grandkids, their in laws, friends, family of friends LOL if they are close to an ethnic store to get me something.There is zip in this area and nothing that I know of in 60 miles of here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had not excuse when I was going to work as I was within 15 minutes of both St Paul and Minneapolis where there are great grocers of multiple inspirations. I'm always just driving through and then back through. Even the Mexican Mercado would only take me off the beaten track by about 10 minutes both ways.

      Delete
  13. I get tahini and sesame oil at Trader Joe’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look closer the next time. I don't think I saw either.

      Delete
  14. Since I’m in the cities would you mind sharing the name of the Indian and Mexican market? I’d love to check it out. There’s a huge Hispanic? Market I believe on Brooklyn Blvd. that was really interesting. Pig heads, fish in like aquariums, very exotic fruits that I hadn’t heard of and great cookies/bakery :). I know we got hot deli type food.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.