Friday, July 30, 2021

Friday Wrap Up-July Is Nearly Done

                                                                      W W W

      First a question for any Blogger users. Are you having issues in your Reading List not pulling up  your blog follows? I can click on individual  names and get to the posts, but when I just click on my reading list, it says "hasn't published any posts." It doesn't matter wat device either, and I know I am missing  peoples posts. If you have a fix for me, I'd be glad to hear it. Each Friday, I try capture the comings and goings, ups and downs, and general  ways and means of my life through my Friday W's Here's the W's of my life for this week.    

What's top of mind: Covid is still top of my mind. With my daughter returning to school in a little more than three weeks, I want her to have a more normal classroom experience. I want our young kids safe when they go back to school next month. I try not to dwell on it, but it's sort of ever present in my work. I also have planning for my very  limited hybrid return to the office. We have to  clear our spaces by August 18th if we are not coming back at least three days. There are a lot of logistics to think through. So I guess top of mind is the  pending fall changes with the pandemic still happening.

Where I've been:  My only outings in the last week were my great nieces grad party and a trip tot e grocery store for a top up/tide us over shop.

Where I'm going: It'll just be DH and I tonight for dinner and he suggested we go out. We also have dinner reservations on Sunday with my family. To the comment above, I need a trip to the office in the coming week to do the packing up. I switched offices two summers ago and did a lot of purging then, so my office itself won't take too much time.

What I'm reading:   Nothing lately other than work related material, but I've been building a short list for vacation reading. Book club will start up again in September so I need to look up what the next read is to get from the library.

What I'm listening to: Just like my book reading, listening has taken a back seat as work has kept me busy in meetings. I generally stream something when I am not in meetings, but have had  the television on listening to Olympic coverage in the back gorund instead. 

What I've been watching: Swimming, gymnastics, volleyball,  skateboarding... you name it. all under the Olympic coverage. I do enjoy most sports and appreciate the commitment. This is the time I intentionally try and watch sports I might not normally see. I saw the tale end of a wicked badmitten game between South Korea and Japan yesterday. 

What I'm eating:   I'm trying to be good, but French onion dip and potato chips jumped into my grocery cart. Not having felt well, I just wanted nibbling foods. I made chili yesterday, and it was good, but I will not use chickpeas in it again. The texture was just not right for chili. That will be meals for the weekend when we aren't eating out. 

Who I'm paying attention to: If you live in Minnesota and are not paying attention to 18 year old Suni Lee, I would be surprised. Her story is pretty cool-2nd generation, her parents were Hmong refugees and part of a large population of Hmong Americans in Minnesota. Truly a remarkable young women with a family and whole community supporting her. If you have followed at all, you would know about the balance bean her dd made for her to practise in their front yard. He's nothing short of remarkable as well, smiles from ear to ear when he talks about his child. He had a life altering injury two years ago, resulting in him confined to a wheelchair for mobility.The perseverance even in tragedy of so many  Olympians is astounding.

What I'm planning:  Besides food and all this eating out, I'm putting plans for the vacation week in place-August 9th onwards. We have two couples joining us towards the weekend and I'm looking forward to time with them. First though, we'll celebrate DH, his BIL, and his mothers August birthdays on August 8th. I've got that blueberry  pie and copycat Nothing Bundt White Chocolate Raspberry cake to make. I requested time off in November, but DH hasn't yet. I started pulling up  ideas for Door County, WI, and staying in one of the small towns on Lake Michigan. I also want to look at possibly going west. Kim-would you like us to swing by Idaho?

What's Making Me Smile: The neighbors cat is a funny creature. We think he thinks he's a dog. My daughter went for a walk last night and saw him  prowling by the pond. She said his name and he cam running over to her like a dog would. Pup is curious about him, but pretty much just ignores him. 

     I'd like to feel better than I do, but until the fire haze and air conditions improve, I'll likely still be a bit headachey. Other than my woes, the week has been  solid. DD2 is off with a group of high school friends and  DD1 and I will plug away some more in the office and maybe go out for coffee tomorrow. I want it to be a productive day. Play along! What's going on in your life this week?

15 comments:

  1. I have been watching too and it does seem like Minnesota holds a large majority of prominent athletes. It's also where my son went to college so that state holds a certain place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're used to hearing Minnesota athletes in the winter, but this year's summer Olympics has had more than our regular share of athletes.

      Delete
  2. I am having the same problem, so are others, I hope blogger gets things fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now today, even some bloggers individual posts aren't allowing me to link!

      Delete
  3. I just got word this morning that effective 8/3 my workplace is reinstating our mask policy for employees but not customers. I’ll admit that I have enjoyed not wearing one but I’m unphased by the new development. I do think that customers should have to wear them as well but that’s not up to me. My daughter and I decided to go thrifting today and I’m so glad we did. I only found one shirt that I liked, a Kelly green, wide sleeve top from Old Navy. She did so much better! A Hollister tank for $1.99, adidas tricot pants and a grey adidas tee and best of all-a homecoming dress! It’s a style she’s loved for years but we haven’t been able to find affordable. It’s actually a romper with a wrap around peakaboo skirt in a sparkly maroon and it’s stunning. Final total-$19.56 for everything. It’s still quite possible that Hoco might not even happen this year so at least we aren’t out much if that’s the case. I have been watching the Olympics every chance I get and will through the end. On my mind and what I’m planning include a college tour on Monday and my birthday on Thursday amount other things. Happy birthday to the Leos in your life! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think businesses should reinstate it for al, but they're so worried the anti maskers will boycott their stores, they don't dare. You and your daughter did so well! We still haven't fund a tie to do our thrift challenge. Maybe this week.

      Delete
  4. I have had no trouble reading posts on my old blog or on anyone else's blog who have a list of blogs. We have been watching Olympics, but not as much as I would like. Can you read my post today, the rant about Tommy's church opening up since the pandemic is contained?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not in my blog itself, its the blog Reading List that comes up blank. I can read blogs-I just have to search for them.

      Delete
  5. Your neighbour's cat sounds like a real character, they are such funny animals, every one I've ever known has a completely different personality!
    Enjoy your dinner out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a really nice dinner out-very relaxed and food was good. That cat makes us laugh. Some of the neighbors are annoyed by his strolling the neighborhood as he will show up in their garage, and he has a bad habit of leaving "gifts", but I think he is funny.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, lost my comment. About 2 weeks ago, as I sat on my back patio reading, I looked up in horror to see a coyote snatch my favorite chicken from about 20 feet from me. Since then, my poor girls have been cooped up, and have stopped laying. Yesterday I received delivery of a portable run/fence, and DD sent her friend (not sure of their relationship, but he's a great guy and thinks the world of me) and we spent about 2 hours in the hot sun putting it up. The girls now have about a 30' x 30' area around their coops to run in. (The fencing was 32 meters total, and we staked it around the coops, making sure they had an area in the shade to get to if they wanted it.) I am so excited to be able to let them out again. After we completed it, DH and I took him, youngest, and DD, who had just come home from work, out to dinner, which, as you know, is unusual for me. We came back to the happy girls just heading up to their roost bars. I still have to close them up at night to keep out predators, and there's no roof on the run to keep out eagles, but I think it will keep the coyotes at bay during the day.
    Just received notice from the State Superintendent of Schools, not local, STATE office of the superintendent (it was sent to all parents who have kids enrolled in public schools in the state) trying to explain one more time to the (very many) stupid people that our local school boards have no say over the mask mandate in school, unless, of course, they want to immediately forego state and federal funding. Schools are required to offer full time, in-person instruction to all students, and are also required to enforce mask mandate and social distancing. I honestly don't understand the problem with masks. Obviously, if your child has a medical reason (auditory issues, eczema, etc.) they can get a variance. We have a school board candidate running around with a Holocaust star on her clothes in protest of the mask mandate. I am sickened. These people really need to talk to some of the WWII vets about what sacrifice is. Spoiler alert: Wearing a mask in school isn't. Seeing your classmate pulled from class on his 18th birthday to be shipped off to the South Pacific, never to return, is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your chickens stay safe. We gt foxes and coyotes around here as well, and out town just passed the up to three chickens are now allowable. In Minnesota, a school board can vote to mandate masks, but the state has no authority since the Governor's has no Executive Powers anymore.

      Delete
  7. My soul swoons....
    French Onion Dip and a bag of potato chips ( a large one) would be my last meal on death row. I allow myself only once in a while to indulge in such as I consume the whole tub and bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I practically made myself sick with this last batch-so have gotten my fill for a while of chips and dip. It is so good though-last meal worthy.

      Delete
  8. Loved watching Suni Lee, and we were cheering her on. It was so much fun watching the Olympics over the weekend/days off. We saw some seriously amusing sports, as well as some crazy dedication.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.