Friday, November 26, 2021

Last Friday W's 2021

 hile I've liked the them posting, Friday W's will be on pause for the forseeabl future. December will see a change up. Not an all out Blogmas but a month to transition seasons, test some new ideas, and we'll, yes a little Christmas and New Year's cheer. I'm another year older having celebrated my birthday with Thanksgiving yesterday, but feeling a  restart is potentially my direction, at least in terms of the blog. So here's my last Friday recap, in W's.

What's top of mind:  Covid has interfered with my life in pesky ways, but not directly. The yet another new variant seems to be breaking through. It gets overwhelming to know other than isolation, how to stay safe. Then learning those with tiny bubbles of people, if linked even through several degrees of separation from others, with Covid, the bug seems to find them.  Sure, the recovery rate is high, but the health care facilities and staggering crisis trying to manage patient care for the very sick is terrifying.

Where I've been: My younger sister hosted Thanksgiving and it was a good day. We stopped to see my MIL, well more than stopped, as we spent close to two hours visiting. I was in the office twice last week. 

Where I'm going: 
 I'm not sure. There's Bingo at local Eagle's club, several sisters want to play, but that falls into unnecessarily hanging around people I don't know and likely them taking no precautions status. I may stay put most of weekend but the girls and I, my youngest school load aside, might do a little small business Saturday shopping. I'll also likely be in the office at least once next week, but then off to hear our daughter sing!

What I'm reading: Another reason to stay put us to read The Firekeepers Daughter by Friday. I did read the Thursday paper and the ads. Nothing to rush out for today.

What I'm listening to: I will now be able to hear Christmas music with no guilt if pushing the seasons. I'm in the car so little but will be a good distraction from the news. 

What I've been watching:  I'll be watching the Great British baking show final tonight having seen the big surprise last week. My daughter picked out a movie last night, Grown Ups, completely stupid but I laughed in many places at the absurdity. Along with music, I'll now watch a few Hallmark movies, it the same movie, respun with different faces, or faces that look pretty similar.

What I'm eating: Need I 
ask? I have leftover carrots and sweet potatoes. My sister sent turkey and ham back with me as well. Today I should eat as little as possible and let my body rest. If anyone is hungry, there's leftovers every where.  I'll make veggie and chickpea masala to send back with my college kid likely Sunday morning. I need a few things for it though. 

Who I'm paying attention to: I'm paying attention to ripple effect changes if they come, with the decision to tap into oil reserves. Did you hear Canada is having to do that with maple syrup as well?

Who needs to be (figuratively) slapped:  My SIL told us her sister had to miss several family gatherings because a women at her church group has Covid and exposed all in the group to it. That's not the slapping part- she suspected she had it, took the test, but still went to things while waiting for the results!  Covid aside, people need to stop and think how their stupid actions can impact others. This whole group was 65 year olds and up too, and I know SIL's sister has multiple comorbities. I'm happy B tested negative, but she quarantined herself while waiting and after results.

What's Making Me Smile:  I felt very loved on my birthday despite sharing with the masses. My sister gave each of us sisters a special Christmas tree ornament. It was all 8 of us, lined up looking at the tree, just seeing our backs. She even had angel wings on my sister J's figure. She's having one made for brothers too. It looks kind of like this one.
      That's what I have this week. I've got today planned for putting my fall stuff away, cleaning, and getting ready to decorate a new season. What's on your mind this week?
     

15 comments:

  1. Very low key thanksgiving here. Had early dinner at my dads and then cooked here at home. Finished decorating inside, outside will get done eventually. Texted quite a few friends and family and had some nice conversations. Baby James has been moved to wall oxygen and doing so well, I’m most thankful for that! I’ve got a 10 hour closing shift ahead of me today and two full days this weekend. I’ll be glad when it’s over lol. I’ve been listening to Christmas music since November 2, that’s when they started playing it at work. I really do like it though! Who needs slapped? Maybe it’s me but I didn’t respond when my MIL texted to say happy thanksgiving yesterday. You don’t get to ignore my kid’s birthdays and tell me my son is a disappointment and just expect me to reply. So yes, I was petty and rude but it made me feel a little better. I won’t be seeing them for Christmas so what do I care? I will probably invite her to graduation and to B’s grad party but that’s next year. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get like that. People can pick and choose when they want to acknowledge events for others, but they don't get free passes and expect us to just forgive and forget being ignored. I hope you make it through your shift. I won't be adding to the throngs of shoppers today.

      Delete
  2. A happy belated birthday Sam - and I just LOVE those Christmas ornaments! I'm sloppily sentimental so that would mean the world to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did create water works while we opened them. Lot's of memories in that ornament.

      Delete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday! I'm looking forward to the Great British Baking Show finale as well (I wonder if it's available on Netflix right now? I usually watch it on Saturday). I was so disappointed with last week's show (didn't think the right person went home, and would have been thrilled if they had let all four go through to the finale).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not surprised by outcome- was sort of leaning that way after last week, but a good finish. Who bakes like this in their home though? Madness.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Sam. Sounds like you had a good day. That lady does need to be figuratively slapped, how ignorant to expose so many people to the virus. That is why we celebrated T day home by ourselves. Maybe next year will be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gobsmacked at the idiocy of that woman. I hope we move on soon. It's been too long to be worried about where I can go.

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy birthday and Thanksgiving wishes! I'm glad you were able to spend time with family to celebrate. The ornament is so sweet!
    Several people I would love to slap. I think my mil has lost whatever filter she once had, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to be around her. At least she isn't an anti vaxxer, so there is that...but argh...at least we will only be spending a couple hours with her over Christmas, so I can bite my tongue for that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL has been getting less passive agressive, and speaks out when she doesn't like something, or takes issue. It's actually been a bit better for me, because I can actually respond/ defend myself. That's probably too strong a word to say I've had to defend myself, but it's made speaking up easier when it matters. Mostly I just ignore her " critique".

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I love the ornament. I just cannot watch those Hallmark movies!!! The people who take chances are the reason I will not go to Tommy's church where people would lie if asked directly about the vaccine and testing status. They are all rabid Trump fans and old, needing the gathering and are brave. I am not brave. Or stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Hallmark movies are predictable, unrealistic, false dramatic situations, and over the top hoky. Still, I'll get my fill.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you a happy belated birthday, I hope you continue celebrating your special day for as long as possible (I usually do!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my lava cakes to make for myself and whatever pizza toppings I want on a pizza meal ( green olives and mushrooms) but that's the extent of my whooping it up this year.

      Delete
  8. Reading these backwards in time, I wish you the next 12 months some of the best yet to have.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.