Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thifty Thursday-Simpler List

      


     As it's a holiday here in the states, this is just a quick post as I have side dishes to prepare and get over to my sisters about noon. Normally I'd do a break down of my thrift in categories of good use of time, saving resources, and of course money, but I'll throw this all out in one long list. As I think about it, I'll label T-for time, R for resources, and M for money. 

  • Even with picking up an additional 5 dozen  dinner rolls, enough for the meal and leftover and sandwiches later in the day the day for those that didn't get their fill or are late arrivers, I am below my set aside for the holiday. Aldi for the win on veggies!  M
  • The crustless pumpkin pie for my daughter's turned out pretty good though if course haven't eaten yet. It was worth the additional time. She supplied the pumpkin, plant butter, and coconut cam. I used this recipe, and we made together. T 
  • I have these plates and napkins to take along to my MIL's for snack later, bought last year so no new spending. R, M

  • I had food ready for my daughter when she got home, and this saved her stopping for food, though she needed a bathroom break. M
  • Gave my daughter another blanket and did not turn up the heat. It was more a selfish reason than a money saving as I cannot  sleep when the room is warm. There's only so much clothing you can take off, and she and DH can put more clothes and use more blankets. R,M
  • I got all my daughters clothes washed that she brought home-dirty of course. I really do not mind. I like feeling needed.  T
  • My girls were going to run the annual Thanksgiving 8 K this morning, proceeds supporting our local family service agency. It's 18 degrees and the college kid spent all day and into the night to complete a partner project- he dropped the ball and she had to save it. I think they're both just going to sleep in. I used to walk the 2 K, but my knee is not  having it this year. I made an online donation though. My fingers got the work out.  T
     It's doubtful I'll do any shopping tomorrow, the official Black Friday but I still like looking at the ads. I like reading the Thursday Thanksgiving paper as well as there's always the 1st graders talking about what they appreciate. I would feel remiss in not calling out recognition that for many Native American  friends, neighbors, and colleagues, Thanksgiving isn't necessarily a celebration, but marked as a somber reminder of what their culture and communities lost, the  hardships and atrocities they endured with the colonization of the United States. For this, I try to keep the spirit of Thanksgiving as being appreciative of my family, my friends, and all I  have in abundance, while recognizing others do not have what I too easily take for granted. This isn't "white guilt" but humble awareness of different shoes, different paths, and different historical perspectives. However you choose to use this day, know I appreciate that you chose to read my little blog and I wish you the very best. 


12 comments:

  1. I like to read the ads, too, even if I have no intention of shopping. I still have cooking to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Sam! I hope you have a wonderful day, filled with good times. :)

    I am also a fan of the "put on another sweater" method of keeping warm. Both my husband and I have thick sweaters and each have our own "TV blanket", as well as a hot water bottle. I bought him an electric blanket throw last week, as he's always cold and our cat (who is getting older) is feeling the cold more - Vizzini loves the new warm blanket.

    I loathe pumpkin pie - my mom had a slice right before I was born (on Canadian Thanksgiving, which is in October), and she says it's because of that. Sure, Mom! Ha!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny theory on your dislike of pumpkin pie- could be. It was a good day with family. We have an abundance of blankets to keep cozy.

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Sam! Enjoy your time with your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, Sam. I won’t be shopping tomorrow either, but will be going to the post office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday is small business Saturday and I have ideas.

      Delete
  5. I too wish you/yours a happy Thanksgiving; I am thankful I have you as a blogger buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet. I hope you and someone enjoyed your day.

      Delete
  6. I hope yopu and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration, Sam. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good day. Of course food and wine was plenty.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.