Saturday, December 10, 2022

My world in W's

     Are you ready for your Saturday? Lots of bloggers appear to be on trips, while others are up to their neck in trying to get through December year end work stress. I'm the latter. Here's my World in W's right now.

What's Top of Mind:

My daughter, who's been in Morrocco since Wednesday is top of mind. I'll be happy to get her update she's back to her temporary home. In less than a week, her program ends, and she's heading to London, thn Barcelona on the 21st. It's a lot of transitions that could go off plan. It worries me, but Im excited for her too. 

Where I've been:

As I talked about yesterday, it's been too easy to just stay home and go out as minimally as possible. I went to trivia Wednesday, which was fun plus a win. Other than that, the office was my only other outing.  

 Where I’m going: 

I was planning to grocery shopping yesterday, but got in a groove doing other things, and figured out something for dinner. That means today is a must. I may be doing a Christmas village with family this weekend, but no one locked in. I think DH and I are going out for dinner, perhaps for just pizza and beers, a nice casual night out. 

What I'm eating:

    The other day I cooked up chicken in the crockpot. I made a hotdish one night, and yesterday made a hodgepodge chicken salad with broccoli, sunflower seeds, raisins and a mayo/ vinegar/ pepper dressing. I used the last two tortillas to make wraps with the chicken salad and sliced apples, served with homemade sweet potato fries. Delicious! There's a ton of chicken salad left that I'll eat for lunch. Edit: DH later polished it off with a fork. 

What I’m watching:

     Don't worry Vix, I won't make Game of Thrones my personality, but I am invested. I'm shocked at what I see, knowing that while it's fantasy, the power obsession that leads to violent war, the way women are treated, is just so hard hitting, and not unlike war yet today. To offset, I've plunged into a few cheesy Christmas shoes or movies, like the 2019 Gavin and Stacey Christmas reunion, showing on Britbox. 

What I’m reading:

Oh my gosh I am turning into a boring person watching too much tv, or crashing in bed too early. Helping to raise a puppy does that! I've got no books in process, but soon I'll need to get the book club book started. 

What I’m listening to:

     I've got the local "oldies" station that's Christmas music on from time to time. I streamed BBC world service when I had a rare block of time to actually work uninterrupted. 

 What I’m planning: 

     Deciding we need a get away in January, I'm looking at options. We've also got a group for 500 club, so that's a go to start in February. My son knows his schedule now for this project, so is looking at flights post January. 

Who needs a good slap:

I liked Lori's take that since we're preparing for Christmas, no one will get one this week. 

Who Deserves Knuck's (Fist Bump):   

    (Paw pump) Grandpup for doing so well at class, other than the whining and barking to see his new friends. He did great on walk, heel, walk heel. I got some good effort with him outside too. Both DH and DD reinforce the skills more than I do. 

What’s making me smile: The story about 190 year old Jonathan Tortoise. It made me think of blogland's favorite tortoise, Vix and Jon's buddy Jacob. Listen to more on Jonathan here, or this YouTube clip from a few years ago.


     That's what's going on here. It's always fun to have you play along, even if just a single W. Have a great Saturday. 


.

19 comments:

  1. Getting ready to head out to a very early (7 am field arrival), cold & wet soccer game. It's definitely going to be a wet one. Poor Nick.At least I'll have an umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post. The wet game had to be miserable, but a victory helps. The other team has wounds though!

      Delete
  2. We ended up going to see Christmas lights at an amusement park yesterday and it was fun but cold and I’ve woken up with some chapped cheeks this morning as a result. I don’t really wear makeup, but I do own some concealer so hopefully I don’t look too clownish today. Knucks to my son and his friend group who took in donations for Toys for Tots last night at their truck meet. I gave him a few things to take but he said turnout was great and they were pleased with the results. I have a feeling this will become a yearly tradition for them :) Who needs slapped…well, we’ll see. I’m going to have words with the store manager today. Idk if she’s making my schedule awful on purpose or is just an idiot but I’ve had enough. I have two closers tonight who aren’t supposed to work together. Only one closer on Friday night. I worked that seven stretch for no reason. Closing two Saturdays in a row, while she has no Saturday closes in December and by the time I’m off next weekend, it will be six weeks in between weekends off. She currently has me scheduled Christmas Eve (which I’m fine with) and the day after Christmas, I am not working both. It has to be done. I’m seething inside and my left eye has been twitching for days. So we’ll see what happens. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she's the manager, she needs to manage. That seems intentional to schedule you a lot and herself so little. I mean, she has to know she's not working those shifts! Kudos to your son! I tend to do just cash donations or the sick drives now that my kids are out of the house. The last few times we were going to adopt a family, the snowflakes were already selected, but I know cash is always a need for purchasing holiday meals ingredients, heating vouchers etc. So have left toy drives off our giving lately. I donate needed items and nicer items that can be added for gifts for adults and teens to our family center too.

      Delete
  3. Today I am going to put up a Christmas tree and watch some Hallmark movies I have recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gone for the better part of yesterday running errands. Came home to a catch-as-catch-can devised slow cooker pork with a bagged salad. It was actually quite delicious, albeit not the healthiest. (Pork loin, onions, minced garlic, cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, homemade onion soup mix, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce.) We ate around 4:30. As it was dark, windy and rainy when we finished, we lit candles, and sat together watching "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sims. These short, dark, cold wet evenings make me very content to stay home enjoying my Christmas lights, and "watching the candles burn" as my kids say. Granted, I did try to get Boy-With-a-Plan to drive me "up north" to a store after dinner, but he balked, saying it was dark and windy out! Around 7 he asked if I still wanted to go, as youngest agreed to join him, but the urge had left, so home we all stayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went out for pizza last night, which was fun. But, DH came home early and we both had socked into the 1947 Miracle in 34th st, and didn't know if we wanted to go out in the chilly damp. I was glad we did, but it would have been easy to stay home. That Christmas Carol version is the best, and I love The Muppet Christmas Carol!

      Delete
  5. Your 500 club sounds interesting (I had to look it up - is it about exchanging card tricks? If so, I would love it)! And lucky daughter being in Morocco. I was only in Marrakech and the Atlas mountains but I would gladly go back. AND she'll be home sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 500 a player bids their hand for what suite is in play, then the partner can up the bid or pass. The budder gets the blind to make a better hand. If the team gets their bid in trucks, they get the points. If they fall short, negative points. First team to get to 500 wins. With multiple tables, you rotate partner and table, except the winners at table 1. They keep playing together. It's quite fun and sociable.

      Delete
  6. Tonight we have a candles and carols event at a local park that Rebecca and the high school chorale is singing at. I am looking forward to that. Last night we watched the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas special on Disney+. It was cute. I will also admit I have been watching the new season of The Crown and the Harry and Meghan special on Netflix. One more week of school/work for the kids and I before Chriatmas break and I am so ready. I need to go through gifts bought today and see what else I have to get. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved the highschool choir events. My daughter was in a vocal jazz group. I tried the current Crown series and can't stay following. Maybe because I was aware of this time period it no longer feels like historically based drama, but gossip.

      Delete
  7. I was hoping to go to the light festival at the Center for Arts, but it is cold and a bit rainy, so I don't want to spend an hour or two outside tonight. Hopefully next weekend will be better. Good for you also pausing on slaps. It just doesn't seem right this time of year. lol Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was damp here too. I took pup for a walk and was pretty wet from the light wet snow. I'm thinking goals for 2023 that involve me being kinder in general, but also appropriately assertive.

      Delete
  8. With great trepidation, I am planning to attend a wonderful Christmas party. But, I am also backing out because of fear of covid. I would rather live to see Christmas next year than to go this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know how much of a risk different places and events might be. I think people tend to push themselves to get to parties even if sick, they don't want to miss out. You might be right that people could be at the party that should have stayed home. We all need to do what we think is best for us.

      Delete
  9. What a great time to be in Morocco, with them doing so well in the World Cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's going to try and call and tell us all about it. This week will be exciting. I'm sorry England is now out, but they did well.

      Delete
  10. One cannot go wrong with a chicken in a crockpot.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.