Saturday, July 19, 2014

Got to Get Away


“Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.” – Unknown

I love travelling. The two cruises I enjoyed were a marvel to me-go to bed after a gourmet dinner and night of entertainment and wake up in a place so unlike Minnesota, it almost didn’t feel real. My amazement never ceases at airline travel, and the geniuses who have figured out the coordination that lets me board a plane at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night in Minneapolis and be eating fish and chips in London at 1:00 p.m. Sunday.   Heck, most days I even enjoy my 50 minute commute by car each day.  With two different offices and often starting or ending work in another location all together, and now summer road construction, I’m pretty nimble with my routes.  I see new coffee shops, stores, and parks I didn’t know about or notice on these deviations and if time allows, I’ll add a little detour and stop.

Big or small trips, the change in routine, the look at another lifestyle, rejuvenate me.  After our big adventure to visit our daughter in March, and springing for airfare for our son to come home for a family wedding in the fall, the travel budget bucket is pretty lean this summer.  Thanks to my hoarding of Orbucks through Orbitz, I was able to turn my points into a two night stay in a lovely little hotel just outside Duluth, with full breakfast, for $106. Twin City people love Duluth get away’s.  Regardless of where you live in the cities, Duluth is less than a three hour drive. Two to three days is plenty to explore, so a visit to Duluth can fit into a weekend, or not use up a whole week of a vacation. Views of Lake Superior can be stunning, and with the way Canal Park has been rejuvenated, there is no shortage of shops, restaurants, and activities to be amused. There is a visitor center with a small nautical museum, and shipping news kiosk that keeps tourists and residents alike informed of what large ships are arriving or departing and when the lift bridge will need to be commissioned.  My shutter fly husband and teen should hit the jackpot with visual inspiration for their hobby.

 I don’t anticipate big travel plans in the near future, but I am adamant these little get away’s have to be part of my life. Just as I am finally taking advantage of time already away in Washington DC for some time with my daughter, there are opportunities anywhere to build in a little travel.  Where might you head?

“The major advantage of domestic travel is that, with a few exceptions such as Miami, most domestic locations are conveniently situated right here in the United States.” – Dave Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.