Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Update on a Friend-So Sad

Last spring I shared, with a shield in one hand and my fist in the other, about my friend A's diagnosis with a brain tumor. In my post Are Wheel's Turning Now,  I shared the heroic efforts of A in her work on civil rights and advocacy, vowing that she is strong and a fighter and would win this most important battle in her life. Yesterday she shared that despite what we had hoped were two successful surgeries and rounds of chemo, the tumor has come back and with a hold that modern medicine is no match for. Treatment will be stopped, and she and her husband M began the steps to try and prepare their children, 17, 15, and 13, for the inevitable. She expects not more than three months.

We carried babies at the same time, her oldest, my youngest. We worked call centers and  fundraisers together trying to keep a fledgling non-profit not just viable, but relevant. We walked the halls of both the Minnesota and national capitol and senate and house office buildings together. We shared cup after cup of  awful coffee, waiting to get a few minutes of some powerhouse politicians time so they would know how crucial a healthy child care system is to struggling families. She moved on to move even bigger mountains, new colleagues by her side, with even greater passion. 

I am a mix of sad and angry. Losing a woman like my friend M last May, so unexpected, was so wretchedly unfair. This seems even crueler, with hope given and now crushed. I won't try and make sense of this-there is no sense, just bad, awful luck. I can say I'll try and live for both of them, but the truth is, I don't hold an ounce of either of their bravery, their zest for living. I feel unworthy to try and carry any torch. Right now, I am numb trying to absorb this, yet I still need to work, raise my daughter, lend any support possible. I'll just try to "be."

11 comments:

  1. Very sad, indeed. Also sad is the facr that medicine is in many cases helpless. We can greatly help ourselves by controlling stress and nutrition. Genetics is also a factor; we can't escape the genetics' blow, but we can delay it, again, provided stress is minimized and nutrition adequate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What terribly sad news. I am so sorry for your friend (and for you). Sadly, as we get older this kind of thing goes with the territory I think. Very sobering indeed. Again, I'm so sorry, and the children are still so young. Another reminder to be grateful for what you have. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awful news! My heart goes out to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad. One of our friends has cancer which they thought they had got 10 years ago as it went into remission then it came back. Euthanasia is legal in Canada since 2016 and she has just made the decision to do that on December 5th. We are not quite sure how to process that so I understand the numb feeling

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure strikes home when someone you know, a friend or aquaintence of our own generation is dealt a death sentence. I hope y'all can find comfort in the fact that she indeed brought goodness into the world while she was here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was pregnant with my third, my friend who had a baby died from the chemo treatment after losing her leg. I was numb and still am extremely sad at times like this. It all seems so unfair. In over 40 years since her death, I suffer from her losing her battle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to read your news SAM. Thinking of you, and your friend and her family as they face this awful news. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that. She sounds like an incredible person who has shared her gift with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.