Saturday, March 24, 2018

Sometimes I Spend

Despite priding myself on being thrifty, saving for the future and special events, I'm not such a tightwad that I am pained to spend at all. The trade-off with both of us working full time is that there are required expenses and times when doing the thrifty thing just doesn't work well. Some of spending choices stem from growing up and doing without a lot of things. While we are/were not super indulgent on stuff for our kids, we spend towards fitting in, participating in experiences, and having memories.

I spent money this week and lots of it on non-necessities. It was a challenging week. While not being total spendthrifts, some of the money spent helped reduce impact of stress. Others were jsut to add to our qulaity of life. Good uses on both accounts.
  • A friends mom picked up Jimmy John's for DD2 before concert, saving me from either stopping myself later or packing her something. It made life work on Tuesday.
  • DH picked up frozen pizza for after concert as we hadn't eaten, since I was trying to cram more work work in, then had to help do hair at the school. Cheaper than take out, but splurged on a good pizza.
  • I ate at partner agency cafe on Wednesday. My meeting schedule was chaos, out of my office, and I was famished. I was able to get a bit caught up on e-mails as there was secure WIFI. They have a decent salad bar, and with a side of cottage cheese and a Diet Coke, the $10 spent was worth it. 
  • I topped off DD2's lunch account at school with $60. Occasionally she might bring lunch, but rare because of her hectic morning routine. While I know a home packed lunch can be made for under $2.90, this is a bargain piece of mind that she has access to lunch plus, can pick up something moderately healthy from the ala carte area to eat after school a few hours later when she has an activity but no time between school and when it starts. Often she doesn't spend any extra money from her account because the school lunches are bigger than her appetite so she saves her fruit or anything portable to eat later. 
  • This was a while ago, but I finally distributed copies of pictures from DD2's buddy pictures (so wonderful)to the other moms. I could have just made counterfeit copies, but that is wrong to steal the photographer's work and for just $2 a copy, he made as many additional prints as was needed. I had 7 made of one and three of another,so  $20 spent, but priceless photos of all 8 kids. 
  • DD2 used to run cross country before show choir got more involved last year. She misses it. She decided to run track this spring. She has a little overlap with show choir, and still with Vocal Jazz, but decided not to do the spring musical this year. So this $150 is just a different expense. She may need a new pair of track shoes as I'm not sure she can just swap out the cleats on the pair she has for a track, or if they are in good enough shape. DH will need to decide this.
  • I bought a new suitcase for DH. Our old sets are crap and will be pitched. We've determined we rarely need the big suitcases, if ever, but it makes sense for each of us to have the carry on size that will fit in the overhead bins of an airplane. It is amazing with good packing what you can fit. I matched a few deals, still a bit thrifty, but splurged on the quality and  model for the four wheel spin type that are so much easier to lug around. 
Not always doing without, or feeling like I have to go the cheapest route is freeing. We have a busy lifestyle and indulging in a few conveniences and a few short cuts can make life keep working during the times of most chaos. Still, It is reassuring to know that at any time, I have some skills to implement belt tightening, and even austerity measures if my budget needs it. 




13 comments:

  1. We definitely spend as well. Last night, I decided that my dinner wouldn't be very much fun without chips & guac, so we ran to the store. $10 later (also got juice for smoothies, as we have a ton of fruit in the freezer), we had a great dinner & everyone was happy.

    In other non-frugal news, I've become somewhat of a wine snob. I really didn't want to spoil myself by opening up a nice bottle of wine to drink alone (M was drinking a fancy whiskey), but I did it anyway. It is SO yummy. :-)

    Both because of chaotic work schedules & kid priorities, sometimes it's just worth it to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might just becoming the opposite of a wine snob, as even withthe wine club little classes, I often stillprefer the $7-$10 bottles found in my local liquor store to the ones carefully chosen at the wine shop. Smoothies! We have so much fruit, but we lie with yogurt, so I miht need to squeeze that out of my grocery budget-thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  2. Don't be so hard on yourself. Frozen pizza is a lifesavor. Good suitcases when traipsing about foreign countries a necessity (if you love travel like I do) we tend to buy Samsonite when it's on sale as it bloody lasts forever, and copying a photographers pictures would have been a crime. I am one of those people who believe things like pictures and music should be paid for. Every single song on my phone was paid for :) The artists/photographers need to make a living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the brand I got him. He actually icked up two pizza's so one s there for another night this week if need be. Oh, no-I would not copy the pictures-used as an example of where I spent money. Stealing others creativity is cheap, not thrifty or frugal.

      Delete
  3. You should never skimp on either luggage or shoes! (As a former dancer/teacher, I used to have to explain to parents why the pointe shoes which look like they are in perfect condition need to be replaced sooner, not later, and the dancer will not be en pointe in my class until they are.) I don't know what a buddy picture is, but I wouldn't copy a photographer's photo either. Of course, I probably wouldn't have had them done in the first place--I know, I know, memories, blah, blah, but I dislike professional photos. If I did, though, I'd have paid for the copies too!
    DH has sneaked in school a few times to top off the lunch accounts. I have a rule of $50/per kid/per year. My reasoning is that I am up in the morning, and will pack them whatever they want. He, on the other hand, when he sees the money dip, (we get email notices, and it's always DD) doesn't like thinking that she can't grab something if she didn't take a lunch. I haven't made her reimburse me yet, but I do make a point of saying, "Hey, you know, we put another $20 in your account today. That adds up." I say this to her so she, as I did, will remember it when she has her first full time job, and is tempted to eat lunch out.
    You and I, on the other hand, know all these lessons, so we don't need lectures, even from our own selves! So, happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the shoes. Her race shoes though were only worn about 7 times, so still relativley new, but I don't nwo the difference well enough to know if they are track appropirate as opposed to cross country, even with a different cleat.DH's department. The buddy pictures are ones with friends-she had one with her three show choir besties, and then the four girls with their four guy friend besties. Yes, a splurge, but when I saw how well they turned out, I had to show th eother moms and of course they wanted one as well. I wish I was organized to have good lunch packing stuff, but she has no access to a microwave, so it woudl be sandwiches all the time. She does packa lunch when she feels like she will have to work over her lunch time and then nibble a sandwich, fruit, etc. as she has little breaks.

      Delete
  4. My kids were blessed to go to schools with really good lnch programs for the most part and they pretty much never carried. I figured it was a trade of for knowing that ate a mainly healthy meal, especially since breakfast was often........yea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too are fortuante, but the pizza line and grillline is the same over an dover. She likes most of the food though,a nd as I said, is more than she can eat so she saves the portable items for snacks, or her freinds with bigger appetites help her out.

      Delete
  5. I have got to get the ever lovin U key fixed, so help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a poor typist when I go fast. You're fine.

      Delete
    2. Ha Barbara, that' funny. A few years ago I met an older man whose kids had bullied him into getting a mobile phone. Eventually it was wearing out and the number "4" didn't work anymore. He was fine with it - but just couldn't call anyone who had number "4" in their phone number!!! Brill!

      Delete
  6. I had a laptop with a key that did not work, so I had to try and use words without that letter...forgot what it was. I can see where spending for dinners would save you at night. I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing wrong with spending money if you have it. I just happen to like to spend money when I don't have it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.