Friday, September 7, 2018

Financial Foolery Wop Wop Wop

"Hold onto your britches; it's going to be a bumpy ride." September will be the financial beast of all beasts. Last month I reported that we were able to save a good chunk of cash, but know September would see the rest of the vacation bills. Little did I realize that DH's check, his last check in August had both of his vacation weeks paid, plus his commission  for a week. I thought one vacation week would come on the September 5th check. I thought it seemed high, but was hoping he just had a really good start in August. Well no. So now in September, we are going to live off just one paycheck really for him, and two for me, a 1/4 cut in what I mentally was planning for. Did I mention we are squeezing financial blood out of a turnip this month? I doubt we will have any cash savings, but I will stretch and stretch some more to not have to tap too far back into savings after we have been making progress. 

We will have another show choir payment due and DD1 needs a few new or new to her clothes.Thrift store hunting we come. We have to do something about the front door before the cold comes or we will leek way too much energy out the door without the storm door and a better sealed door. Murphy really is a swell guy, isn't he? I've no regrets on the vacation but dang if I feel like I'm being given a bit of a slap. Lucy pulling that football away from Charlie Brown-I know how he feels. 

Maybe this is the month I can figure out how to sell some stuff on the Facebook trading site. That would be a help. My frugal list of fun? Oh yeah, bring that list forward for both September and October. Pantry, freezer, and low cost vegetarian options-yes please. We could all use a lighter diet after the mega eating in Europe. Small portion sizes-not where we seemed to eat. This is frustrating, but now I can show my true tightwad skills. I am thrifty-hear me roar. 


8 comments:

  1. Look at it as a challenge. I find frugality fun! I learned mine from my parents. For instance, if I was your DD, my parents would have paid show choir, (gladly) but told me I'd have to be satisfied wearing the glow from vacation. Same for your fun/date nights. I understand we're all different, but when I am content in my life, I am content to be home. My married life is one long date. In any case, be thankful you're not doing this in the dead of winter when you have heating costs. To that end, I'd fix the door pronto, but would probably see how long I can go without spending anything, and I mean ANYTHING else besides bona fide fixed expenses. But again, that's just me. Everyone is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-trying to stay in a positive vein on this. The overall income doesn't change, just the timing, and my mind set.I love the "wear a glow" comment. The good thing is right now, I am entirely content in life, so have no need to spend other than necessities, and my fund is my little challenges. I've got many bottles of wine already, and even think there might be 1/2 dozen beers or so in the fridge, plus other alcohol, and lemon juice to make literal lemonade. We can entertain without spending a penny.

      Delete
  2. You know you can do it of course but it's frustrating when you are banking on $X and planning for it but then Murphy throws you for a loop isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more my Murphy brain. I can do this. I follow Rhitter's post and this is nothing to what that lady has accomplished.

      Delete
  3. You can do this, I have done it many times. But it is frustrating to think you have something covered and then wham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating but a challenge to embrace. We have savings but I'm in replenish mind set.

      Delete
  4. It is good you are not sitting around regretting money spent on vacation, throwing shade on your own good times. After a particularly fun time, it is much easier for me to be frugal! Hopefully, making the door airtight won't be too costly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never regret the good times. The door has been on the list gor a long time. It should pay for itself-eventually, with devreased utilities.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.