Saturday, September 8, 2018

Procrastination-But I Get There Eventually

I picked blueberries over a month ago, but then ran out of time that week getting them made into jam, so into the freezer they went. Last Saturday after grocery shopping, I took the frozen blob out, intending to make the jam Sunday. Well, finally, I got to it this morning! Twelve beautiful little jars, though seven are now cooling again after I put them in to process a second time as they were not sealing fast enough. Better safe. I love the satisfaction of hearing the "pop" that let's me know the canning was successful. This batch is for birthday gifts for my siblings/significant others and sibling in laws, and my mother in law, with two little jars for our own eating, probably at Christmas when DS visits. There was enough left to go in a little bowl for a few pieces of toast this week. 

Like so many things, the jam making was an example of my procrastination tendencies. However, I usually get things accomplished at some point. Perhaps if I didn't work as many hours, or didn't have as much extended commitments with DD2 and other family obligations, I would be more on point. I doubt it. I seem to need deadlines, even on optional things. The jam deadline was the berries themselves, now thawed, had to be cooked into jam or a couple pies or other baked goods, or ruined. I've been this way my whole life No one has been harmed in any way, though I will say it is a personal  trait I would like to change-but doubtful I will. 

Remember this when I list all the things I want to get accomplished on any given weekend day. I will get some things done, possibly all things, but more than likely not. I like to think it is aspirational. Today the list includes:

  • Jam Making Check Check!!!
  • Laundry
  • Clean kitchen cupboard with the plastic storage
  • Clean out Cereal/dry goods cupboard
  • Sweep porch and sidewalk
  • General Tidy of family room, dining room, and living room
  • Look at Apartment with DD1
  • Bake brownies for
  • Cards at my sisters
It will be a frugal night as I had the brownie mix, some chips, and beverages already to take along. We'll eat supper at home, cheesy brats not eaten last weekend at the lake and salad before heading over. DD2 is heading back to her place after the apartment viewing so don't have to think about a vegetarian alternative. That's my life this weekend. Hopefully a mix of no procrastinated activity around the house, some social time, and some relaxation with a good book or movie. What's on your calendar this weekend?



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That really was what it was-mushed and ready.

      Delete
  2. Seeing DD2 tonight, and DD1 tomorrow as my husband and son in law are running in the Salford 10k. I've done very little today; the weather is cold and very wet and it has aggravated my joints :( I really need to live somewhere warm and relatively dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dampness gets in my joints too. Lovely that you'll see both girls.

      Delete
  3. I would think it all worth it when the result is blackberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH ate the little bit set aside with a spoon. I guess it was a hit.

      Delete
  4. Up and out in the yard early to pick blackberries. While I was picking, DD hollered out her bedroom window that Dad was taking her to breakfast, and asked if I wanted to go. Breakfast out with DH, DD, and youngest DS, then quick grocery shopping while we were in town. Came home to put chili in the crockpot, and bake a blackberry pie and some cornbread. Early afternoon was spent cleaning the house, doing laundry. Late afternoon/evening will be spent working on a quilt. Later in the evening will find me sitting with DH in the den, working a crossword puzzle while he watches t.v. Kids are enjoying their last weekend before school starts on Monday. (They were delayed by a long overdue, much warranted strike.) I know it sounds dull, but I love this kind of weekend. I can't be doing with a lot of getting all dolled up, and running around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the kind of day dreams are made of. I made chili earlier in the week but no cornbread. I want a do over now, yum.

      Delete
  5. I love hearing the ping also. I figure as long as it gets done it is all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jam making and then canning is my one domestic talent.

      Delete
  6. I don't think you are a procrastinator - have you seen the length of your "to do list"!!! Don't forget you work full-time too lady! I know what you mean though, when you have lots to do you hit the floor running but if you have little to do everything is a chore isn't it. I do "worry" slightly about retirement when I don't have that impetus as I too work better up against a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can fritter away time though. Deadlines are key.

      Delete
  7. Keep on writing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks designed for sharing such a fastidious thought, article is good, thats why
    i have read it entirely

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.