Thursday, November 22, 2018

A Thanksgiving Thrifty Thursday

Happy Thanksgiving my American peeps. For those of you not  in holiday mode today,  happy Thrifty Thursday. Oh my-not too much to share this week in the thrift department. I'm still on track with my  $400 grocery challenge, but by on track, I mean I haven't yet gone over, but I only have $4 until the end of the month. I needed butter-and popcorn, which for a snack when you have the junk food craving, a person could do a lot worse. Let's start there.

  • Some days leave you just want something crunchy and salty. That was me Tuesday. Instead of buying more costly potato chips, I grabbed a box of Act II Movie Theater microwave popcorn, three bags for $1.00. DD2 ad I happily munched Tuesday night and I got my snack fix. 
  • I made a batch of oatmeal cookies on Sunday. The egg carton tipped and three eggs broke, but I salvaged them to use in the mix. I froze  a bit more than half. The ingredients were all from the pantry, and I used up the last of my brown sugar. 
  • I met my friend N for coffee/work meeting. We both skipped the lattes and just had plain coffee to which I added cream and she had an Americano. We decided the $4 flat whites weren't worth twice the price. No fancy latte art, but $2 stayed in my wallet. 
  • I booked a room for next weekend when we go to my daughters scholarship meeting and audition at one of the schools she was accepted into. I used $12 of Orbitz points to bring the hotel room down. Continental breakfast is provided which will save some funds. 
  • Instead of buying Knorr  vegetable soup mix, loaded with sodium and nearly over $1.50 a packet, I'm using veggies I have at home, shredded carrots, finely chopped onion, Morton season salt and pepper, and a dash of lemon juice, to make my spinach dip. I think it should taste even nicer. 
I'm looking forward to the day. I'm about to do my food prep for the sides and appetizers I am bringing for the day. I've got a fresh cup of coffee and am ready to go. 

5 comments:

  1. Have a peaceful Thanksgiving Sam. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope yours was a day of calm, after the food coma that is.

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving - I hope you had a fun stress free day - and enjoy the rest of your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stress free-and enjoyable. I learned though, lots of sides and appetizers take up a lot of time to prepare-I was overly ambitious with my schedule.

      Delete
  3. Hope your turkey day brings everything you desire.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.