Monday, August 12, 2019

Farmers Market-Yum and Awe

      DD1 had to get video footage for a news segment on one of the  nearby towns farmers market. This is a smaller version of the Saturday St Paul markets, but four times larger than the one in our town. I tagged along to give her company but also I wanted to see hat bounty they had. I had planned on bringing my mother-in-law flowers tonight for the rest of her birthday present, which is Friday, so she could enjoy them the whole week she is in town. I knew immediately I needed to skip the florist and buy right form the grower when I saw these beauties. I bought her a massive bouquet for $7! I do not know my flowers but there were vibrant colors and two sunflowers, which DD1 made sure we chose. DH ran them over to her last night. I guess she was quite pleased as she is hosting two bridge clubs this week. There were two other sellers, equally pretty, but were slightly more, though might have been different flower types. My salesmen for these flowers were tow adorable little boys, helping out their parents and so proud to carefully put the stems in a plastic bag, and make my change. Even if this stand had been more, I would have found it hard to resist their charms.


     
Here's just a couple other photos, for those of you who like pictures of vegetables. I bought some yellow summer squash and a tray of green beans. DH had made the most delicious version of a sautéed bean the other night for dinner. I'm hoping he'll do the same on Thursday. 


     

     We bought sweetcorn in town, along with a couple tomatoes and a cucumber at a farm stand. I could have bought these at the market, but they were sold in multiple size trays and I didn't want as many. I'm trying hard not to overbuy and then have it go to waste. My daughter and I had our thermos of coffee together while watching a YouTube video at her house. There weren't any picnic tables or place to have coffee at the market, though I'm pretty sure a the one in St Paul there is. I left three ears with DD1, leaving nine for us, four which were eaten last night. We'll probably eat another three, just restreamed as part of supper, and I'll freeze the corn from the last two cobs, just the right amount for a small pot of soup. We had burgers with fresh tomatoes with the corn-the perfect summer Sunday night supper. With the rest of a cucumber I had in the refrigerator that needed using, the other half of tomato, and 1/3 of an onion, I made a cucumber and tomato salad, letting it sit overnight marinating with the mayo, sugar, vinegar dressing. I'm the only one who likes it so I'll bring 1/2 for lunch today and the rest tomorrow. 

     It looks like a great week ahead weather wise, with lots of sun and warmth, but low humidity. My schedule is jammed packed because of taking time off next week. I hope to nab a few minutes though and eat my lunch outside. This salad deserves to be eaten in the fresh air and not huddled over a computer key board. What are you enjoying from the farm or your own garden? What summer food do you wait for each year? 


16 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely adore markets. Have to admit though, that I tend to end up buying too much fresh produce and don't always get round to using it up! That'll have to change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I was both careful and planful about how much I bought so I do not waste.

      Delete
  2. Local corn and "good" watermelon are what I wait for each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The corn was good the other night-maybe needs one more week though as kernels were very small. Local watermelons have been really expensive %5=7 for tiny ones.

      Delete
  3. We just ate fresh cherries that were amazing. I love tomatoes from our garden. We've only had growing success with the tomatoes & basil this year, but at least those are both tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to at least figure out how to get a tomato plant next year.

      Delete
  4. Tomatoes, crookneck squash, and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three summer favorites of mine as well.

      Delete
  5. Apples right off our trees and blackberries off our bushes are my favorite fresh treat. Granted this year, the apples are on our old property.

    If I were there, I'd fight you for that cucumber and tomato salad. It's one of my favorite summer foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they would let you come back and pick-if they aren't going to? Salad is all gone. It was meant for two lunches, but I ate it with my supper too.

      Delete
  6. I love all the fresh food we get in the summer. The tomato, cucumber and onion salad is one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the only one that likes it-inion breath and all.

      Delete
  7. I love fresh veggies and fruit in season. Those eggplants look yummy. Love them in olive oil, stuffed with meat or as a dip. Love eggplants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like it braded and roasted and then with pasta. I didn't buy any yet. I fell likem it is a September veg!

      Delete
  8. That is a beautiful market! I want to go to a local You Pick farm this week. I get emails from them and their ugly veggies are half price right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of nay pick farms other than for fruit. We missed out on blueberries I guess. Maybe if they are still picking the 24th, but then I have no one to go with me as my sister is back in California and DD1 is away for the weekend.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.