Sunday, August 11, 2019

Dare I Try Menu Planning?



I spent and bought more on groceries than I intended. I need to make sure nothing goes to waste and I plan for it all. Not counting the weekend, when I'll buy food and take directly with me to the cabin for the gang of teenagers we'll be hosting, I should be good, minus eggs, bread, milk, juice, and fresh produce, for two weeks. We then move DD2, so I'll not want to do another big shop anyway. I don't do well scheduling specific things for specific days, but instead, like to have meal options. I've got Sunday-Thursday this week, then Monday-Saturday next. Here are my options-I've come up with nine and there should be leftovers to skip cooking once or twice:

  • Hamburgers and Veggie Burgers, sweet potatoes wedges
  • BBQ country spare ribs, au gratin potatoes
  • Pulled pork sandwiches, with leftover ribs, broccoli salad
  • Chicken tender wraps with salad
  • Chicken tenders, corn on the cob, fresh vegetable salad
  • Chicken Cordon bleu, rice pilaf
  • Cheese tortellini with marinara
  • Chicken, cheese, and vegetable hotdish
  • Tuna hotdish and vegetables
 I'll just pick up pizza for later Friday night. The kids are coming at different times due to part time jobs, some coming Friday, some Saturday, and one might just be up Sunday. It's nice that we are only about an hour away, shorter than these kids will drive to a mall in traffic. For the rest of the weekend, I figure on muffins and bagels for breakfast along with juice and milk. I'll need three meals-two on Saturday, and one on Sunday, with Sunday supper/later afternoon being eating up leftovers.
  • Sloppy Joe's (from my stash) along with deli turkey as I know at least one kids doesn't eat red meat
  • Veggie, beef, and turkey burgers with fixings
  • Hot dogs and Brats
  • Grilled chicken (will have chicken to throw on grill for those that don't like the other meats)
  • Bags of assorted chips
  • a couple water melons
  • Corn on the cob
  • Pasta and vegetable salad (will make at the cabin)
  • Cookies and brownies
  • S'more stuff (already have from her grad party unopened)
  • Water, pop, canned tea's
Knowing all the parents, no doubt the kids will be sent with food items to supplement what I plan to bring. I know this will not be cheap as we add in extra gas for the boat and miscellaneous things that might be forgotten. DD2 has been the guest of each of these kids families and I am happy that she'll get this big final weekend of fun with her closest friends. 

What's on your menu? If you are feeding eight + hungry teens, what would you suggest adding that will stretch the budget a bit more? 

16 comments:

  1. We fed 12 teens at a beach house last month for five nights. Cooking ahead of time and crockpot liners for our three compartment crockpot were a lifesaver. Breakfasts were warmed precooked bacon or sausage, pre-made muffins, warmed pre-made grits casseroles and scrambled eggs. For lunches, I had stuff for sandwiches and leftovers and they took care of themselves. For dinners we did a (1) bbq night (pre-cooked brisket, pulled pork and grilled chicken breasts in the crockpot) with buns and a green salad with choice of dressings, (2) pasta night (alfredo, tomato sauce, pre-cooked It sausage and chicken breasts) with garlic bread and a green salad (3) brats and chicken breast sandwiches (precooked and warmed in the crockpot) with pre-made bbq beans and a green salad and (4) asian bowls with pre-cooked chicken breasts, rice, bulgogi sauce, peanut sauce, edamame and shredded carrots. I wouldn't do the pasta night again as it was too much cooking. The rest was easy, just warming things up. I precooked and froze everything even rice. Paper plates and crockpot liners made clean up easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That's a long time to feed that many. I have it easy. I'd add pasta as well if had that many mouths to feed. I do have a really easy rock pot pasta-no work at all, and think I'll do that with the brats. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. We'd also have a "happy hour" set up with likely a cheese & meat tray, veggies with dip/hummus. For teens, we'd serve with a variety of fun drinks that the kids could mix together (non-alcoholic). We tend to do this with our 4 boys (mine + nephews). I like the happy hour set up, as it cuts down on the actual meal, but also the kids really seem to enjoy it.

    We'd also probably make up a big fruit salad to have on hand.

    I do also like the idea of a pasta night (previous poster), because it's so easily customizable. Or, similarly, a make your own pizza night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will be hungry all day with swimming and volleyball and all the good stuff.

      Delete
  3. I cannot even imagine feeding so many kids. I think I would feed them pizza and cookies and lots of junk food. Even the thought of is scary for someone who doesn't have a child. Lol!

    Our meals are simple: Breakfast: Toast, butter, cheese, honey, olives, tomatoes and cucumbers. Lunch: A vegetable dish, a generous cup of yogurt and bread. Dinner: A meat dish with salad. I have frozen lots of meat dishes (stuffed peppers, stuffed eggplants, meat patties) so, we are only cooking veggies these days. Today was okra. Tomorrow green beans in tomato sauce with olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a lot of fend for yourself snacks, but want something substantial for the meals. I love your food options.

      Delete
  4. Walking Tacos are a big hit with that age group. You don't have to do the little Frito bags with, but rather get a large bags of corn chips or tortillas and do a taco bar and let them put their own toppings on it. You can stretch the chili with things like beans, corn, or small. diced potatoes to stretch it very far. A baked potato bar can be done the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't already have the sloppy joes, walking tacos would be a great option. I think though I'll add some corn, bans and salsa, so if nay want to turn the sloppy's into nachos, they can.

      Delete
  5. I would serve baked spaghetti with a planned leftover for the one no-red-meat person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm adding a crock pot pasta of some sort. I don't think the kid will go hungry.

      Delete
  6. Cooking multi meals for different meals is right in my wheelhouse. It is something I have done multi times at different locations. I think you just have to have the attitude that it is what it is, and enjoy the process. Though I despise using them paper plates help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not regularly a paper plate person, but since I have chinet left from graduation, I'm taking full advantage of it. I relaly am happy to have the kids for the weekend. I'll miss them all.

      Delete
  7. Patience above! You have to feed that many people? I admire your strength and stamina to do so. My mother (if memory serves right) was big into large casseroles especially with some ingredients making it not too popular that people are not demanding seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother was a smart person! This is a last hurrah with this group of kids.

      Delete
  8. Good luck I am terrible at meal planing. Let's see what can I thaw out and what is in the garden. That is my meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my house that is about it-minus the garden.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.