Sunday, September 8, 2019

Frugal, Healthy, Tasty Meals for Two

I mentioned Friday I had some overly soft tomatoes to use up. In efforts to not waste, I thought a sauce would be the best option. I ended up making a delicious dinner for DH and myself that was frugal, sort of healthy, and sure hit the spot flavor wise. Here's what I did and note that all measurements are approximates since I rarely measure when I cook. 

Sauce
Rough dice three tomatoes ($0)
Small dice 1/3 of a yellow onion ($ ,20)
1 zucchini, sliced and halved.($ .20)
Saute onion and tomato a bit of olive oil, and tomato break down, stir to let it get sauce like,
Add garlic, onion flakes, and Italian seasoning, a pinch of salt and course black pepper and continue to cook and let simmer, add zucchini and cook until soft(all seasoning and oil-guessing $ .60)

Meatballs
1 pound hamburger ($1.70, as froze 1/2 meatballs
1 egg
Mix with 1 1/2 tsps garlic, 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning 1 tsp onion flakes, 2 TBS milk, pinch of slat and pepper, 1/2 cup quick cook oats (all seasoning, milk, oats ($. 50)

Roll into balls and bake approx. 30 minutes in a 350 oven (as I had the oven on for something else) or I would have cooked on the stove. I got 14 decent sized meatballs/frozen 7 for another meal.

Cook 8 ounces of pasta 1/2 box)of choice. ($. 45) Mine was veggie rotini. Combine sauce and pasta, serve meatballs on the side. 

DH can be a big eater when he is hungry, and he was last night. He probably ate 2/3rds, but what I ate was more than enough. We even got a serving leftover for one of us for lunch. I estimate this was $3.65 for three portions. Anytime you can come under $3 a portion is a good thing. Using up spare produce and both stretching the hamburger while adding some fiber was a better thing. This provided two servings of vegetables plus  other than the pinch of salt for some flavor, the sodium and sugar content was low. Bon Appetit! 

18 comments:

  1. That looks great. We would serve it over zoodles, but otherwise could have the same. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should cut my simple carbs down, but I love pasta!

      Delete
  2. I find cooking for two harder than cooking for ten.
    We are flush with ground beef. On School Year Sunday, we typically do a big roast dinner around 3 p.m.-ish. This morning, though, I gave DH his choice of pasta with ground beef or meatloaf. He picked meatloaf. My recipe is very similar to your meatball recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard getting down to three, but with two, because DH gets sick of leftovers, I'm trying to scale back even farther. It is sort of a universal meatloaf/meatball recipe.

      Delete
  3. I just cannot cook for two unless it is a meat and a potato. I always overcook and then have leftovers, which isn't too bad as hubs does eat them and we sometimes have things two days in a row. The sauce sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried at first the tomatoes wouldn't break down enough, but it work great-even without taking the skin off first. It is a new normal around her in the kitchen.

      Delete
  4. Anything with garlic and tomatoes is always a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I over tipped the Italian seasoning in the sauce so it relaly had a punch of herbiness.

      Delete
  5. I think it is hard to cook for just two so I cook with leftovers to freeze in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have limited freezer space, so only want a portion or two for lunches or can't be bothered to cook suppers. I hate waste so trying to scale back.

      Delete
  6. That sounds delicious, Sam. And how great that you even had a portion left for a lunch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If DH doesn't come home and eat today, I doubt he'll eat it so I'll then take it tomorrow for lunch.

      Delete
  7. Quite sensible to make a sauce; that's the best way to get most old things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning mushed and herbed and seasoned vegetables really do make nice toppings or sauces for all kinds of things.

      Delete
  8. I've only ever cooked for one or two people and still find it hard to cook just enough, most of the time there are leftovers.

    Your meal sounds very tasty, not to mention good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so little salt and no added sugar, it tasted so fresh. Neither of us need either added in dishes.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. My kids would have loved this but all were/are great veggie lovers.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.