Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Creative Millennial and Z Generation-Positively Tuesday

    

     I have a whole post to write up on the event DD2 and I attended last night through MN Blogger Bash. It was held and hosted by the Chanhassen Dinner Theater. I was one of the older attendees and I think most  close to my age were guests, not bloggers or Instagrammers themselves. I didn't mind-I like hanging out with younger folks, particularly those that are creative people. The writers, photographers, videographers, and artists of this age give me hope and energy. While many are saddled with student debt and may be working day jobs that pay the bill, but might not be their dream, they're using  the other parts of their days to nurture their creative side, and perhaps even make some good money out of it. 

     My daughter is using her  creative smarts to start a non-profit to work with youth, particularly those at most risk of not finishing high school, in the arts. She had a position like this for a summer and loved how she saw kids from highly traumatic  backgrounds, thrive with a camera or paint brush in their hand, or sitting behind a pottery wheel. She's on step one of probably 50, with a long road ahead, but starting with  volunteering with groups already working with youth in different capacities. 

     I got a few texts from my son, updating me on his current job location which is taking him across country and back again. I love how he is not afraid to take risks with his career. I can't say the instability doesn't make a mom nervous, but for the time being his life is just himself and he is building up his credibility. The big break may come next month, or year, or maybe never. Who's to say everyone has to make it big to be successful? This generation doesn't.

     I guess that is part of why I like attending the local blogging events. While some are exclusive for bloggers and Instagrammers with large followings-I don't get invites to them-these broader ones let me mix and mingle, find new people to read and follow, and keep me informed. I saw a few recognizable faces and blog names.The young generation, knows they need to pay bills but aren't settling for just jobs and know they can do more. I like that about them. 

10 comments:

  1. The new generation is very different than us. They have a different perspective on life and are braver in many respects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't worry about the decisions of young people, I worry about my and the generation just older and younger, mucking up the world.

      Delete
  2. That would be fun to mix with the younger artists. I always love working with youth, they are fun and so much smarter than us in some ways. You look like a teenager yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get outside my comfort zone and do more chatting in this kind of space.

      Delete
  3. What a great thing to do. Wishing your daughter lots of luck as she moves through the process to create her non-profit. The arts are so neglected and so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She saw what a difference the creative side of the school was making for the kids. She wants more kids to have the opportunity and for wider varieties of activities.

      Delete
  4. I agree with TPol, and I admire the young people who are prepared to take realistic risks. Some, sadly, are "off with the fairies" as we say, thinking they can make a living out of badly thought-out ideas, but I really admire those that have sensible heads on their shoulders and then go for it! Good for them. I don't think they will ever regret giving it a shot. And that's a lovely photo of you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they can pay their bills and keep their wants at bay, a little fairy dust won't hurt them too much. My kids are practical dreamers.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about having to hold your nerve as a parent, but it means that you've done your job well raising them if they are confident about taking risks. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, my son is 30 and in such a different place-financially, mentally, physically, than me and I have to remind myself it is his life.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.