Thursday, November 7, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-Excuses Edition


     I've been trying to track better during the week. I find less ways to save money, other than just not spending, and more ways that money it seems to fly from my hands some weeks-this week being one of them. i justify much because of it being my annual sisters day, and we find all kinds of little cute things that amuse us and taste so good. Thrifty Thursday is to look on the positive side of saving towards our future while enjoying our now, so I won't dwell on where I spent, but rather how and where I kept spending low. 

  • I forgot my cell phone in the bathroom on Monday. Not that big of a deal communication wise as I have both an office phone and a work cell should I need to be reached, but all m cash, bank car, and credit card are in the phone wallet. We needed milk having used the last on tomato soup on Sunday. I scrounged up  more than $1.59 (milk went up since I last bought it at Kwik Trip) and bought just the 1/2 gallon to get us through the week. I was able to leave my Aldi quarter though in it's rightful spot in my car. Had my cash and credit cards been on me, no doubt I would have grabbed a few additional items that we really didn't need along with the milk. Having just the right amount of money is a good budget tool for me-which I need to use a bit more often.
  • While splurging on my annual sisters day, I did double duty and picked up some things for the holidays like the cranberry blush wine and only found at this one place, hard ciders. I also bought some dip mixes that will save time when bringing appetizers along to social occasions. (I know I am stretching to come up with a thrifty tale for Saturday, but let's go with this. Time is valuable too.) 
  • When DD2 was home, she started a new shampoo. Rather than rinse and recycle, I took the old Tresemme bottle, balanced it upside down, and have gotten three more hair washes out of the bottle. 
  • I broke my  self imposed challenge to not buy any new to me clothes in 2019 except under garments and socks, with a budget of $60. I couldn't pas sup a 50% off brand new, but in the thrift store denim skirt, $4.00, an item of clothing I've been looking for ages. I'm still under my budget though. I may have mentioned this one already, but this week was the first time I wore the skirt, so counting it in this weeks post. 
  • Speaking of socks, I desperately needed new trouser socks, those higher  thin socks for dress pants, but Walmart didn't have what I needed, and the prices at both Kohl's and Target were higher than I wanted to pay, and not quite what I wanted anyway. I was surprised to see a two count in Dollar tree and they seem exactly the same as a few older versions I have. 
  • Both DD1 and I used the Chanhassen Dinner Theater vouchers we received at the Blogger event and reserved tickets for January. If you live in Minnesota, or travel here, I highly recommend seeing a play, concert, or going to the comedy show at the venue. 
  • I customized my Fab, Fit, Fun box with a couple items that will double as Christmas presents. I still like this splurge I do for my daughters and me, but having some of the items do double duty helps me off set the splurge. this reminds me to go through past boxes for giftable items and beauty items we should be using up before buying.
     I like to stretch my money as much as the next person. Mostly, just not spending is my biggest win. How about you? Any good deals for the week, or were you just trying to keep it a no or low spend week? 


13 comments:

  1. Heh. I have very short legs, stand just under 5 feet, and have a decent figure, but damn if I can find jeans to fit--even ankle jeans sweep the floor. Except for when I run/hike, my wardrobe consists almost entirely of thrift shop purchased denim skirts! I wear knee skimming ones with leggings and boots in the winter, long ones with sandals in the summer. (Although, I slip on running shoes with them to walk the dog.) I pair them with t-shirts, either short sleeves or 3/4 length, also thrift store sourced or ordered from J.C.Penney.(Their St. John's Bay are one of the few brands that isn't so thin it needs to be layered.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add that whenever I see a skirt which fits for under $10.00, it makes its way home with me--they last forever, and look great with everything. Price per/wear, I'd say that skirt will be paying you!

      Delete
    2. Well I don't have a decent figure but tge denim hides the fact, hopefully. It will be a staple for years in my closet. Good tip on the JC Penney t's.

      Delete
  2. I found pant socks that fit okay except for the fact they ended up just covering my ankles. They were $1 at CVS. I can wear them at home when I don't mind my ankles showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pants tend to be longer so no risk of ankles showing usually. Some are too tight they cut into my chunky calves.

      Delete
  3. I am trying to use up all the groceries I bought hubs before I left. I have no idea what he ate. Oh yeah the neighbors fed him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he's taken care of and no shopping.Win.

      Delete
  4. -Used work miles for flights for 4 to Whistler
    -Bought 4 lbs of ground beef at $.25/lb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow-those are deals. Ground beef has gotten really high.

      Delete
  5. Money has been weird here lately. It is either a feast or famine day here with one day or major unexpected expenses and then 3 days of zero spending with the cycle continuing. Life is always interesting I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend will be low but next week, there's a lot pulling on the wallet. Yep, interesting.

      Delete
  6. I have been menu planning and using lists when I go to the grocery store. Our eating out has been cut down considerably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I know there's meal options to choose, I'm generally not even tempted to eat out.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.