Friday, November 8, 2019

Thinking Ahead Holiday Treats as Gifts

     I know folks barely have removed their Jack-O-Lanterns from their doorsteps as I write this but bear with me. For my and DH's siblings and families, I'd like to make personal gifts that will be enjoyed but not add to their clutter. Same with a few close friends. This is not giving gifts for the sake of giving gifts, but more making sure I take the time at least once a year for a proper thank you. Each helped me with the youngest's  grad party by contributing  bars, loaned me tables and chairs, and helped with the take down that night. I need to do an inventory of my canning jars and put the word out that I'm looking to get any returned. As much about saving money, I also am trying to curb excess waste, so why not first find out if I can retrieve jars no longer being used since the contents have been enjoyed?  I'm also on the lookout now for treat recipes that check several and multiple  dietary  preferences and requirements, namely a few vegan and gluten free treats. Having items shelf stable as well is useful since refrigerators get so crammed at the holiday time. 

     Besides a batch of jams and jellies, a few sweet treats on my list so far include:

  • Peanut butter cups (vegan and gluten free)
  • Mounds bars/balls (gluten free)
  • Turtles (gluten free or see below for vegan)
  • Special K treats (but cut in squares and fully dunked in chocolate) (Vegan and gluten free)


     If I get vegan butter/margarine I can add:
  • Puppy Chow (vegan and gluten free)
  • Carmel Corn (vegan and gluten free)
  • Peppermint patties (vegan and gluten free)



     For work, doing a platter works well, and letting folks enjoy the kinds they like. I thought I'd also bring a platter of treats to the brewery people, who have greatly added to my transition to being an empty nester by giving me an activity and a community of people to go out with. Last year I didn't do very well picking up clearance treat containers, so may improvise with Chinet plates and holiday stickers. Sara wrap and ribbon will work just fine for wrapping them up and maybe this year's clearance I'll have better luck. 

     Including this weekend, there are five in November to use to get some holiday tasks set aside. Last year DD1 and I readily admit we dove into the holiday  hype way too early and sort of burned out by the first weekend in December. I don't want to make that mistake this year. However, making gifts ahead of time is a bit different. Whether or not I get all the above made remains to be seen, but I don't want to be first thinking on this once December comes, and rather truly let the month of Christmas be enjoyed. 

14 comments:

  1. I wish I was on your list! :-) I make cardamom bread to bring & share to the family celebration. Otherwise, we don't do gifts for the adults, but we do have a sock exchange. So, you always leave with something. ;-)

    For the kids, we are getting them ski passes, and will add in a few fun things (books, maybe a gift card for the climbing wall). One child has asked for a pizza stone or a bread board? We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like treat making, so hope people will enjoy. I know there are jokes galore about edible gifts, but oh well-they can tell me if they won't get eaten and I will have no hurt feelings. My son used to always get a ski pass as his big Christmas gift. I can't even imagine how much passes are now.

      Delete
  2. I start early on my non-edible/shelf stable homemade gifts, but later on my baked goods, with the exception of my fruitcake, which I try to start on Halloween. (I finished these two days ago, and they are now being fed.) The cookies/candies I usually make the last weekend before of the kids' Christmas break--it becomes an activity itself, and then they have treats to bring to school for their friends.
    The past two years I have given my close friends handmade candles and instead of baked goods, and had the kids take the baked goods and candies to school, or drive around and drop them off at favorite neighbor's/businesses.
    I think edible gifts are lovely! My love of a deep, dark, rich fruitcake comes from being forced to try a slice made by the grandmother of a woman at work. Oh my word! But, my favorite story about overthinking food gifts: Many years ago, after a sale on cream cheese, ($0.50/pack) I decided I would make cheesecakes for some dear, dear friends for Christmas. I went back and forth with the idea, thinking it was silly/unusual but did it anyway. DH and the (very small) kids delivered them about 2 days before Christmas. According to them, one of my beloved friends, then in her mid 70's all but cried when she saw what it was. She was entertaining her entire family, forgotten to plan for dessert, and was exhausting herself just thinking of either making something or returning to the store! (We are about 15 miles from a store with a decent bakery.)
    I know my friends appreciate candles though, because so many are on all varied sorts of diets. Older DS likes to give candles too--has a young lady who he says really appreciates them.
    As for the immediate family, I believe I have finished gift shopping. I used to make a Christmas quilt/year for one kid (they took turns) so I had to start those in summer. I wasn't going to make one this year, but broke down and just started one this past week to get rid of some scraps--not sure it will be done in time for the Christmas decorating, but as this one is for me, myself and I, there's no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a lovely cheese cake story! We never know when our gifts intervene at jus the right time (and I mean gifts form the heart and hands). I'd love to learn to make candles. One year I got so many handmade lotions and bath bombs, and lips stuff, but it was all not workable for me. Candles seem so much more inclusive for food and other intolerances. Minimally, everyone loses their power on occasion, and if the scents are a bother, though of course scentless can be made,they can be used outside.

      Delete
  3. I love edible gifts and this is a great idea. I hate getting useless "stuff" but food is always appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting treats I would not bother making-nice to share. I don't like fudge but my family does, so getting gifts of it is very nice.

      Delete
  4. Candles are the last thing I want. Edibles are great. My sil gave us a tray of homemade cookies and candles one year and apologized for giving us homemade stuff. I assured her this was far better than anything bought.

    I am not much of a cookie maker or at least dozens of them and lots of different kinds. I prefer making chocolate pound cakes or pumpkin bread. One year, the first year my son was in middle school, he wanted seven! for teachers and coaches. I go up early and got four made for him to take to school hot. Then, I came back home and make four more. I delivered those to him piping hot. He said teachers were thrilled and they all thanked me for giving them hot pumpkin bread.

    In later years, I take chocolate pound cake and lemon curd for gifts or as my portion of a party. But, I love homemade candy and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess people who would make candles would know who uses them and who doe snot. I'm a candle lover! The cookie tray sounds really nice.

      Delete
  5. I love getting and giving edible gifts. Here's a little tip. The Dollar Tree has great cookie boxes, but you have to get them early in the season. They disappear fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Lorraine said....cute containers at DT or Dollar General for a bit more!

      Delete
    2. So I've noticed! Last year I couldn't find any anywhere. I've improvised with just colored plates, wrap and ribbon.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely idea. I made Limoncello for family members one year. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw a recipe for Lemon infused Olive Oil. My sister just bought a small bottle for like $17 because her husband love the stuff. I know what their Christmas hosting gift will be!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.