Thursday, December 26, 2019

Not a Thrifty Christmas-But Not Eating Beans and Rice

     I definitely was not frugal this year in terms of food, gifts, and convenience. My efforts to conserve were thwarted somewhat from DH being of little help and me needing to cut corners in many areas. However, I had done some shopping ahead of  the season, and found some ways to stretch, so overall, I was fairly close to my budget. I didn't want to spend my whole day running around for the post Christmas deals, but as I was up before the others, I did a bit of stocking for next year, plus a few things I use through the year that are not really seasonal, but had a seasonal packing. Wile I may have spent more in areas I wasn't planning to, We did fine and had a wonderful  week. 

  • It is tradition to send DS back with a Hickory Farms cheese and meat package, but of course I buy the day after. These have become part of his New Year's Eve tradition.
  • I bought 4, 1 pound bags of medium roast coffee for $3.11, and 1 bag of peppermint coffee for $2.92. I also bought some 1/2 price Keurig Pods for back up though I use them sparingly. I'll give DD1 one of the bags of coffee.   
  • $ .50 a box for a couple seasonally boxed theater size candy will be a nice treat for a movie night. 
  • I bought 1/2 price Discovery sets for my  two younger nephews and a niece for their birthdays. I usually get them an outfit or sweatshirt of some sort as well, so this stretches the gift giving budget. 
  • I bought 9 rolls of wrap at $ .50 each, labels and bags for   $ .12-$ .47 and now am stocked again. Ribbons was sparse but I got a few. 
     Things I passed on however, which I guess is thrifty. While 50% off, I think these will be items either I don't need, no one would want, or I think may go lower. If they do not, I' fine with them staying at the store. 
  • Holiday sweaters and shirts
  • Candles
  • Body wash, shampoo, smelly stuff gift sets. Most are just regular products packaged together and even at 1/2 price not the greatest price, and nothing my family members really use. 
  • Baking kits and gingerbread house kits. 
     So, while not particularly thrifty, we'll only need to eat beans and rice if we choose to eat beans and rice, as I love a good burrito bowl. How about you? Did you stay on budget for the holiday? Are you a post Christmas shopper? Share your big wins and what you left behind. 


8 comments:

  1. Our yearly sea food dinner was outrageous this year, but so worth it. I skipped alot but also spent alot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we had a right balance. Because we sisters do the meal for the most part for Christmas Eve, and there is a lot of people even spreading the costs (though my sister bears the brunt) and there are 60+ people, it adds up, plus my holiday meal last Sunday and food Christmas day. As you said though, worth it to be with family.

      Delete
  2. I am a post Christmas shopper, but I wait until Rite Aid has their %75 off Christmas sale. (I think it's usually the Sunday after Christmas.) I never quite know what I will find there, but I usually come away with a few things for the following Christmas. This year I need to stock up on ribbon and tags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ribbons were in short supply and I hat eh sticky bow things-that always seem t be in large supply! I'll keep popping into Target ad other stores as the week goes by and hope to get a few things, though don't feel I have to, at the big discounts.

      Delete
  3. I used to be a post holiday shopper years ago, but not anymore. If I happen to stumble upon something left over when I'm out, I may consider it, but I avoid the frenzy completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went later than the early birds, but early enough that I pretty much popped in, did a quick look for items I know I like to stock up on, and was out in an hour. I too will look over the coming weeks when I am in stores, but this was my one specific shop.

      Delete
  4. I don't go anywhere near the sales as I can't stand the crowds - too many people, the shops are too hot and so on so I guess I miss out, but I'm sure there are bargains to be had. I do my Christmas shopping all year round in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter gifted us her time to help me finally get the office back to shape. I plan to invest in some good storage and then I will better plan year round.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.