Saturday, January 11, 2020

Blue January?

     January 20, 2020 is blue Monday, supposedly the most depressing day of the year. It has to be a northern hemisphere thing I would assume with our dark days still lingering, cold winds blowing, and no holiday in sight. Maybe for those on the south side of the world, Blue Monday  kind of hits like the end of July does for many of us in the north-when we first start noticing that we are losing minutes of daylight again, while also being steeped in  heat and humidity? Regardless, I feel the blues so bad in January. I used to enjoy it up until my daughters January birthday passed. Then, it felt like there was so little to look forward to week after week but  crappy commutes and my inevitable winter cold. When I had kids at home, I still hated this time of year, but I kept busy with weekend ball tournament’s, show choir, scouting activities, taking kids to the ski hills, and just doing things with the kids like a movie matinee, sledding followed by a hot chocolate somewhere, or even all of us bundled up  together watching something on TV. We also were in a couple groups like a church dinner exchange group and a card club. It was the business of the all our kids getting older than put a nix on scheduling the last two activities, but now, I feel we need them more than ever.



     January 20th falls on the last day of a four day weekend this year, Martin Luther King Day. I try and do something, watch or attend a program or speaker, do a volunteer activity, and do some reflection. I’m looking now for what that might be. We have dinner theater tickets the day before, and fingers crossed, there will also be a Vikings playoff game. Still, there is a whole lot of weekends and evenings until spring arrives, even if I manage to get through Blue Monday. I just want to be excited about something and look forward to  things and maybe, make the long winter  a bit more fun. I  like a good night in binge watching or reading as much as the next person, but it isn’t anything to necessarily  build excitement over. I guess I am more high maintenance, at least entertainment wise, than I like to think of myself. Coupled with not having any vacation plans-not even a weekend, and I am a dull person to be around, my inner Eeyore coming out.



     Here’ my short list of what I have come up with so far to build a little positive anticipation. Some might think there is a lot scheduled, but when a person has been busy, and has a many evenings and Saturdays to fill, to me there’s not much there, particularly in the "feeling excited category" and more just the stuff of life



Wednesdays: Trivia

Sunday, January 19: Chanhassen  Dinner Theater for Mama Mia

Monday, January 20: MLK program of some sort

Saturday, February 1; Show choir competition, tagging along with friends

Sunday, February 2; Super Bowl (host or attend watch party)
Sunday February 9: Hosting my niece/God daughter's bridal shower

Tuesday, February 11: Book club
Friday, February 14-We think it will be my nephews smallish wedding, at a church, followed by a light reception, right at the church. This is an older couple that do not want much fuss. They haven't actually even invited people officially yet. 
Saturday, February 15: Bachelorette party for my niece/God daughter, who has a very small circle of friends and feels her aunts are her friends so wanted us all to join. I am excited about this-my daughter and her sister are the co maids of honor and are planning an escape room and a dinner, not the weekend long festivals that seem to have become the norm. .
February 22: Local show choir competition. I most likely will attend and help if needed as an alumni parent. 

     February looks pretty busy I guess, but January looks like it will be very long. I just suggested to DH that tomorrow we get out of the house and do something. His response was, "Well, Maybe" without too much interest. See, there will be another couple playoff games to watch and I know he has used his days off to  rejuvenate, still not back to his normal energy level. I'll use part of the day to get the bridal shower invites sent, though I did make a Facebook version as a hold the date. My closet could use a good purge and I think I need to replace a few work items so maybe my daughter would like to go thrift shopping with me. Work and her getting reconnected to old friends and some new friends has kept her busier-which I'm happy, so don't want to intrude on her time. Plus, she is getting ready for her trip in just 10 days. and most likely needs her weekends.  

  

     Here’s my call out to cyber space. Please comment with things on your calendar that I might be able to replicate and start looking forward to. Is there a new movie coming out that you have heard great things about that I should schedule a date night or a friend night and go see? Are any of you hosting a fun game night, or other get together that would bring people out of the cold and into each other’s world for at least one night? Who’s booked an overnight, even if you can’t do a full on vacation-what will you do with that time away from your home? Help-I'm n a mental and physical rut. 



20 comments:

  1. Any chance you could find an inexpensive gym, and go to some workout classes on weekends, or even evenings? Better yet if a friend also goes? i'm planning to go to a "flow" class today, which is a blend of yoga & pilates.

    I'm heading to Tokyo next Saturday. The following week, I'm heading to Tucson for a work training. That one is supposed to be more relaxing, as it's taking place at a fancy spa like facility.

    I typically use Jan/Feb to get organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have talked a work friend into staying late at least one night a week to use the onsite exercise equipment. I'm looking for a walking buddy as the high school has a community walking track and it is a bargain where you just buy a pass (which off sets some of the security costs of having a publicly accessible space in a school). I can just start walking and most likely will see people I know as we are a smallish town. DH joined the gym my daughter and his best friend use. Tucson sounds very relaxing. It is cold and icy-walking pup even in the park was difficult because the snow spots have ice on them.

      Delete
  2. Instead of our usual once-a-month board game evening we've now booked 2 rooms at an Escape Room for 10 people. I've never done one so I'm looking forward to that. Oh, and yesterday I booked a Bee Gees tribute concert in Geneva and my friends have booked me in to a Porgie and Bess recital. Sounds good to me, but I know what you mean about winter, once all the excitement of Christmas has passed. The winters are long aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need a lot-if I stay busy, and have a few things to really look forward to I am mostly content. I just need that something.

      Delete
  3. This is my first thought? Are you a person who must be busy? Calendar filled?

    I ask because, I look at my near empty calendar and am thrilled. I have a date w/girlfriend on 1/20 and a haircut on 1/21. Then it's our traditional Winter Carnival vacation with family/friends. Mountains, snow, skiing, cooking/eating and relaxation.

    Movies? We were invited to a Star Wars preview. FABULOUS! But you have to be a lover or you won't like it.

    Dinner with a good friend?

    Perhaps take this month for introspection, figure out why you feel this way in January and work on how to resolve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An empty day, maybe an empty weekend once in a while, but since I now have so much time at home alone, those don't have the appeal of the past. So yes, I am someone who needs perhaps not a totally booked calendar, but I do like to have focused activities. You sure are right about figuring out why January bugs me so much. I know why November does, but then there is the anticipation of holidays, my family time, etc. so I get through it pretty well. I am long over due meeting up with a couple friends I don't see often-this would be a great month to try and get a dinner or happy hour booked.

      Delete
  4. I can't really give advice, because I really enjoy staying home and indulging myself in my hobbies. I get excited over a full day with nothing to do except finish a quilt, make candles or work on the flower garden. That said, I echo the person who said join a gym--maybe go a step further and sign up for (and prepay, that way no backing out) for an exercise class?
    What about finding a reliable walking partner? Set a time in advance to walk at least 3 times/week?
    I understand the January blues--I got out of Northeast as soon as possible because of them. I still prefer the southwest or southeast in terms of climate, but I like other things about being here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling makes going to the gym with a friend difficult since I work out of town, and I know myself that I would waste the money even if prepaid. I do have a work friend who has agreed to stay late at least one night a week and use the exercise room at work together. That should help my mind set a bit and I am looking for anyone who wants to walk at the high school. Trivia is my favorite night, though the other week we had too many regular unable to come, and an annoying guy from high school and a couple I did not know joined our table. Its an inclusive activity, but was not the same fun for me. I hope my friends are back next week.

      Delete
  5. If you go somewhere people are walking, you will probably meet someone to pal around with, walking or otherwise. You will probably have to go more than once to find someone. Do volunteer activities suit you?--library, food bank, providing a once a week visit to shut in, helping organize an indoor yard sale if there is one planned.

    I had a friend volunteer to help out at a Thursday night dinner because she felt the need to feed people. I know of a nurse who is retired and goes to places where people meet to help with whatever is needed. She seems to be a professional volunteer...lol. When I was more able, I tutored in the library for free. It was quite fulfilling to know I helped a 15 yo 8th grader get into hs. He was failing math. In a few months he would have been 16 yo and primed to drop out. Is there a book club?

    I am feeling antsy as the free Tuesday dinners were all put on hold for January. I go there for the socializing rather than the need for food. Some of the lunches were early in December. Plus, the game night at Tommy's church will not happen until Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how the meals would be a good socializing event. You remind me that our church does have 1st Thursday community meal and volunteers are needed. And, I should just start walking.

      Delete
  6. Well "I" think January is a GREAT month! After all, that's when I made my entrance into this world. lolz
    You could always fly here and surprise me with a visit for my birthday like Kim and her Sissie did last year(This year I will share my birthday with MLK, Jr.). 8-)

    I'm not a "have to be on the go, fill my time with activities sort of person"so I just don't get that need. There are so many ways to fill your time without going anywhere or being with people....but that's not your MO.
    How about taking a class? Learn a foreign language, take up pottery, genealogy, go to a book reading by an author. Do something to exercise your brain and/or culture muscles.

    That's all I gots......sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good ideas- book readings in particular. I have an invite from a literary former friendly colleague for Thursday. I should go and maybe bring a friend. I'd love to hop on a plane, but could we meet somewhere warm?

      Delete
  7. What about a family game night? Or even friends and family game night? Every one BYOB and a snack? Like Anna does at Random Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that idea and need to find like minded folks. Anna is so busy-I love it.

      Delete
  8. I wish I had something to contribute, but sadly I don't. It's dark and gloomy here and we just dodged a severe storm. I tried to get started painting rocks again, but I'm rusty and nothing is coming out good, so I quit for today. The only thing I have scheduled in January is a skin cancer screening. Not so much fun I'm afraid. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm back to sleep clinic tp learn options, fun times so I hear you. I'm glad the storm spared you.The painting will come back to you.

      Delete
  9. All I can do is ad my own complaints! There is hardly anything more miserable than Minnesota in January. You run (except it's so icy you really can't run from car to the house and hibernate). Twenty below windchill last night. Thank goodness I just finished another half way decent book huddled under a blanket on my recliner watching HGTV again. Sorry but my January blah has set in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I appreciate someone getting me-you understand! A decent outdoor walk is treacherous due to ice thanks to the bipolar weather and melt freeze conditions. I haven't watched HGTV for a while. Maybe some home improvement motivation will get me out of a rut.

      Delete
  10. I've long tried to crate a strategy for January and February which is why I'm doing posts on the joy of small things at the moment. I need to have things to look forward to and anticipation is part of the joy.

    I'm having a Quirkle and Coffee Day with a friend this Wednesday, in other words a board game session. I'm looking at booking a break in February. I've sorted crafting sessions and various lunches with friends.

    However, January and February will still be looooooong months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I should look for joy-it's there. Quirkle is a great word!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.