Saturday, March 7, 2020

Health is Like Gambling-Trying to Increase My Odds

     
Shape.com
There is so much about our health that we cannot control. I think of  several people my age or many years younger, myself included, that through no actions or bad decision making, have various chronic conditions that need to be managed. When they flare up and  are at their worst, some can be debilitating. Cancer, MS, hereditary heart disease, Type 1 Diabetes, nothing it seems can be done to prevent these life threatening  diagnosis. That absolutely sucks and feels like it's just the luck of the hand a person was given. 

     For me though, the arthritis is made worse by my  50% weight gain over 30 years. The stomach and irritable bowl issues and general cramping I still experience well past menopause are aggravated by fatty and processed foods. The acid reflux that kicks the food allergies into gear, cutting off my ability to swallow is made worse with food on the run and eating too fast. These are things I'm trying to better control. While ultimately I'll have to play the hand I am dealt, some of my cards can be traded in for a new draw. I'm 54 and sometimes when I get up from my desk, I walk down the hall probably looking a good decade older from behind based on my walk. Saturday after shopping, lugging groceries in, and getting the cold food put away, my knee was throbbing so bad I had to get an ice pack out, and lay down for a while.

     Last week two of my colleagues announced their plans to retire. One will retire on April 1, and has been contemplating this for years. She has battled chronic  health conditions for decades. She recently came back to work after a nearly year leave of absence followed by another year of very limited part time hours. She had what one would think was a minor ankle injury after stepping wrong off a curb, but the injury aggravated a chronic nerve  issue she already had. She has been back full time, but needs a mobility scooter, and despite ADA requirements, has been challenged most days getting around. She pretty much always looks in pain, struggling, and finally just made the decision that she just cannot work any longer. 

     In contrast, the other colleague who is retiring on July 1, stops at the gym for an hour work out each morning before coming to work. She plays golf in the nice weather, and is on a curling club during the cold weather. She takes regular vacation days to play and spend time with her young grand children, three under the age of seven. She and her partner, seven years her junior, swim, bike, hike and vacation all over the country. 

     Both these women are 61. I know who's retirement I want. It's not fair to compare them as I know nothing really about what led to them each to where they are now, physically or mentally, but it does give me two distinct pictures of how the next decade can end. I can't control everything in my health, but, I can do whatever is possible to improve my odds of being like colleague 2, spending my early retirement years enjoying my life. 

     I want to stay realistic and make doable and manageable changes and aim for results that will be sustained. below are strategizes for the next few years, progressing towards better habits without pressure to be perfect. 

  • Lose 15% of my body weight by my 55th birthday in November. To do this, I'm intermittent fasting, but I can already see that won't be enough. I need to intentionally reduce my overall calorie consumption and cut out sugar.
  • Lose an additional 15-18% in the two years following until I reach and am able to sustain the healthy BMI range for my height. You can guess how much weight that is I need to lose.
  • While weight loss can be achieved through diet, looking better and feeling strong will require increased activity, both cardio and strength. Walking is my cardio of choice and with the wonderful places to walk and hike, I should find variety. Starting in April, I'll log my walking. I know I won't get to the 1,000 miles other challenge themselves to, not yet, not with this knee, but perhaps  between April 1 and January 1, I can aim for getting in 450, or 50 a month. That would be a huge stretch for me.
  • For my birthday target, I'll stick to the therapy exercises, with a target to double my repetitions.
  • I already mentioned the need to cut sugar, but the same goes for reducing simple carbs. There is mixed information about a keto diet, so more research is needed before I would cut carbs, but swapping anything simple for a more complex carbs should be an easy step. Increasing my fruit and veg, particular veg portions should help with this. Zoodles anyone? 
  • Along with this, eat more raw meals, and fewer ingredient dishes. 
     I'm not trying to lose weight on my own. I see a plethora of doctors and have regular visits with opportunities to review and monitor  factors of my health. This is not advice to anyone so do not take it as such. I'm just sharing of my own strategies and targets based on my individual health. I will share progress via this blog, perhaps monthly, but more to keep myself honest. I really want 2020 to be a year of positive health, but know it is up to me to increase my odds of success. 

     

8 comments:

  1. I walk funny, too, after getting up from sitting, and it gets worse as the day goes on. While I need to lose weight, exercising is not how I will do it. The spine doctor discouraged that since the vertebra are collapsing and the discs are not where they should be plus stenosis makes movement painful and increases the other problems. Acid reflux causes me to lose more sleep than anyone can imagine.

    Losing weight would solve 90% of my problems. However, eating raw food and most fruits and vegetables has been ordered. Potatoes, pasta, and baby food are recommended. The prospect of this food makes me depressed.

    Drinking a2milk has all but cured my irritable bowel issues. Well, I could go on, but I won't.

    A fall in 2000 led to the weight gain since I could not walk for 6 months. Everything went downhill from there.

    Even with all I eat, I am managing to lose a little weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say I have been ordered not to eat raw foods, which I love, but to eat baby food and applesauce.

      Delete
  2. You might consider (or already have) swimming. Mom had 2 knee replacements and seriously it was the only thing she could do physically for a long time since her ankles and knees hurt so bad. My friend had such bad acid reflux...then found out she had a tiny minor hernia causing it. Just a thought. She was on medication for her acid reflux before they actually found the hernia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have gained weight over the last 40 years. It is hard to stay at a reasonable weight as I love sugar. I love carbs and I love sweets. Now with this back thing it is even harder. Growing old sucks if you don't have your health. But I am going to fight like hell to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya on the weight gain. At my max, I was 95# up from wearing my wedding dress in 1980. Hubby maxed at 90# up.

    We are doing Code Red eating plan month by month. We agreed to discuss the last week of each month. I have lost 19# and 10.25 inches. Hubby has lost 14#.

    We have cheated with full honesty. We get right back on it. We each get on the scale every single morning we are home.

    We've tried losing weight before. I've probably lost 700# in my lifetime.

    This time I want it bad! I just retired and I want to be as active as ever and I am capable. My new knee from 6/18 is fantastic! (I had a big hole in 1 of the joint surface bones that was horrifically painful).

    My sister walks every day. She staked out a 2 mile course from her house and she is faithful to it. Then on the occasion she wants to go 5 miles? She can :-)

    Anything you eat that goes healthier is good! Make your own 10 grain bread. It's super easy and tasty. Whole Wheat pasta instead of white. I like quinoa pasta.

    I really really wanted pasta and bread about 5 weeks ago. I went to my fave place, ordered what I wanted, ate my fill and left the rest. No high calorie "white" leftovers went home with me. I wasted food-new for me! And I was done.

    YOU CAN DO IT! We are all out here with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture you describe of your two colleagues is what spurs me on to keep going and trying new things. I've waited a long time for my retirement and I'll be damned if I'm going to mess it up with ill health. I know that's not always possible but where I can I'm going to make sure I enjoy every minute of my now free time. I'm 61 also and oddly enough it really has hit home to me since I retired that there are two ways this can go - well or badly, and I sure as hell don't want the "bad" bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I can relate to your post! I'm 57 and have most of the same concerns you've listed. I am trying to make changes that I can stick with but once work gets stressful I put the weight back on unfortunately. Heres to a healthier year for all us slightly older women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck to you on your goals

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.