Sunday, April 19, 2020

Meal Planning for Week of April 19th-25th

     I'll keep meal planning, but that doesn't mean we'll eat what we plan. At this point, it is more of an exercise to keep me busy, and as a reference if when dinner time comes no one thinks of anything, I can go back to what I planned via the blog.

     Here was the plan and what we actually had.

Sunday: Easter Brunch/Dinner: Egg bake, ham asparagus, strawberry crescent rolls, fruit, juice. Later, fend for your self/homemade beer bread 


Monday: Spaghetti Long grain and wild rice, steamed mixed vegetables and meatballs

Tuesday: Chicken parcels (I need to find my recipe but it's basically chicken pot pie filling in a crescent roll dough, mashed potato's) This might be it, or very close. Savory Crescent Chicken Squares DD2 really liked the pizza from the other night and I had all the ingredients left over, so we had another pizza, and as I had grabbed garlic cheese bread when I shopped for my  MIL, we had a few slices of that as well

Wednesday: Leftovers DH made Rotini pasta and marinara sauce, and the rest of the cheese garlic bread

Thursday: Three bean chili, crackers, + added grilled cheese, which meant we had a  lot of leftover chili

Friday: pizza-take out, take and bake, homemade, or frozen  Farfalle pasta layered with the last of the pizza sauce and tomatoes, layered with a package of frozen spinach, a zucchini, and mushrooms, with cherry tomatoes on top, made in the crock pot. It was so good! I had a1/3 of a bag of frozen French fries so cooked them in the air fryer as well to use up.

Saturday: Chicken wings homemade sweet potato fries, loaded potato skins Chicken strips, diced potatoes with veg, steamed carrots, cherry tomatoes and broccoli 

There was no leftover night as we ate for lunch. I put enough chili in the freezer to pull out for another meal. Chicken was a little harder to get this past week and very expensive, so I only bought what was needed for DH's lunch, so no chicken parcels. The wings stayed in the freezer from a while back, but I used up the last of some chicken tenders still there. I didn't shop yesterday and won't today as I want to combine for when I do my mother-in-law, probably Tuesday. I could probably skip this week as well, but there are a few things I'd like for us to have, mainly more cheese, sandwich/toast bread, bananas, and fresh vegetables. We'll be low on clementine's and apples by Tuesday. Plans then, based on what I have in house, and may pick up, for our weekly menu are:

Sunday: Pork Chops, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans
Monday: Tacos/burritos/bowls with Spanish rice, black beans, and corn
Tuesday: Some sort of soup-using up the remnants of all the vegetables-probably a pasta fagiole, homemade garlic and herb drop biscuits
Wednesday:  Hamburgers and homemade French fries
Thursday: Trying the chicken parcels again with mashed potatoes
Friday: Pizza-homemade, or order, or take and bake
Saturday: Crock pot pasta with vegetables, garlic bread

     Besides last weeks chili, we have bean soup in the freezer and enough ham for a meal or to take out for sandwiches. There's bacon and sausage as well, so I might decide to make just a big brunch today and save the pork chops, and just have chili or soup tonight. We're flexible. I am using some of the canned goods, but more to supplement the fresh. There's been talk that because of the cases in meat plants, all types of meat might be harder to come by. When I do shop, I'll try and get a bit for the freezer, but won't go crazy with it, more  regular shop and  will try and use less. We still have had no issues with produce, so I'm happy to bulk up our meals with more vegetables. I also have two pounds each of pinto and navy beans, and my daughter has a wealth of recipes. 

How about you? Is anyone seeing a need to change some of your meals based on availability of  items? Is it easy for you to come up with an alternative? 


24 comments:

  1. We pretty much have most of what we need available so far, except flour. Flour? Really? I've been baking bread and sweets from scratch for my family for about 10 years now. Luckily I usually have several varieties of flour on hand and still have bread flour so I'm good for another couple of weeks but wow. T.P. and flour. Reminds me of the mad crush before a snow storm to buy milk, eggs and bread. Why people?! Why?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was the issue in the first few weeks of the stay at home when TP and flour were non-existent and my daughter happened to score both for me. Now, while not stocked to the gills, if people buy one, there seems to be enough to go around. Both baffled me Really? All you non-bakers are going to suddenly start making loaves of bread and all your own baked products? I'm scared to think of how much flour and other baking products will just be thrown when the hoarders realize the didn't need it, didn't use it, and no one else now needs it either. When did our world get so stupidly selfish? Has it always been so but times like this it stands out so severe?

      Delete
    2. In times of 'the unknown/having little control over your life" people do things they wouldn't normally do. Call it panic mode/survival mode but they overbuy. I was wondering why suddenly most of the blogs I read were baking/needing large amounts of flour when before they were NOT inclined to bake. Needing extra comfort food maybe or not wanting to pay reg. retail for a loaf of bread? I just hope everyone knows you can freeze flour once this is over and nothing is wasted/thrown out.

      Delete
    3. That's a good point-fear brings strange actions. I've always liked home baked goods and baking in general but often didn't have the time. Now at least I can whip ups something, and I'm home working while it bakes, so am using more flour than normal, but not pounds and pounds more. We seem to be eating a lot of homemade pizza, particularly now that Aldi is not close and I won't make a special drive out of town trip when I have a store that is walking distance of me, or very close to my MIL's for shopping for her. At least TP will not go bad.

      Delete
  2. We typically know which meals we are having, but the dates might shift. Because we double up all of our meals, it's less likely that we'll substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have lost my batch cooking ability except for soup/chili. We usually have a portion or two leftover, but my daughter and I are usually eating that for lunch.

      Delete
  3. Being able to actually cook is the only problem I have. Last night, I opened a jar of spaghetti and went outside and picked salad--kale, red lettuce, romaine. I have plenty of chicken bought before the latest chicken plant problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would always enjoy pasta wit a side salad.

      Delete
  4. The main thing that I have to keep an eye on using are eggs. We didn't even dye any this Easter, but I did insist on deviled eggs! Our stores are currently limiting eggs to just 1 carton per customer, and the price is absurd, particularly when, just before this happened, our local supermarket had a 1 day sale of $0.75/dozen. I bought 5 dozen that day, and am still using them. I should have bought 10 dozen, but didn't want to monkey with putting them away! No way I am going to pay upwards of $2.00/dozen under any condition, so other than baking, eggs are off the menu for a while. Interestingly, you also couldn't find baby chicks, so I am glad my daughter got hers when she did. Since I generally only shopped rock bottom prices, and stocked up when I did, the only thing that has changed for me is I am not shopping, since there are no loss leaders. Bottled water is another thing that is hard to come by, but I only kept it on hand for kids to take to school/have in the car, so we don't need it.
    Today, I took out a beef rib roast I bought around Christmas for Sunday dinner. If there are leftovers, they will find themselves in a cottage pie, as we have plenty of potatoes. The rest of the week is up in the air.
    Like you, I don't understand some people's thought processes and shopping habits, but, I never really did anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs are almost always over $2 a dozen, but unless I grab at Aldi, or the rare times I get groceries at Walmart. I buy the local eggs and am so happy with the quality. Even when they have been near $3, for a meal, I figure 2 eggs a piece, so two full meals for $1.50 is still pretty reasonable protein. Since I have a small family, the perspective is quite different I am sure. There are a lot of egg substitutes-learned from my daughter, for baking. Flax seed eggs is my go to back-up.

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping the shortage of flour is because parents are teaching their kids how to cook during lockdown.
    We write a list and so far have managed to get everything we need from the corner shop, no need to patronise those scary supermarkets. It is all about compromise in this new world, if it isn't on the shelf best to forget it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said she wants to do the shop this week for us and her grandma. That will be helpful to us both! I like your positive outlook on why flour is in shorter supply and hope that is the case. With eating all meals at home, we are certainly doing more breads and of course the delicious pizza crust.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you are doing just fine- there are no rules thankfully about cooking a great meal everyday or following a menu plan. This morning I made hash with leftover potatoes and corned beef from St Patrick's day- it looked a mess in the skillet but will be eaten again tonight and probably tomorrow too. No green vegetable or fruit served with it LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are-the plan is nice to try and think through what needs to be used up, so even if used differently, we're avoiding waste. That tis the name of the game-avoiding waste.

      Delete
  7. Good to have some ideas and it looks like you are down to eliminating food waste in your supper ideas. Tonight is a crappy lasagna that hubby likes but i don't (part of a 2 pack from Costco 2 months ago). I will then have him eat the leftovers for lunch multiple days and I won't buy it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it's not a hit and be able to avoid buying in the future. I haven't had lasagna in a while and that sounds actually kind of good, but not if a poorly made version. I am trying very hard to avoid waste and for the most part, pretty successful. Definitely the quality of our meals has improved.

      Delete
  8. I noticed that the meat shelves were more sparse than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting=I bet it will be all kinds of meat now, but I guess a good time to eat more plant based meals.

      Delete
  9. It's been decades since I've made bread and I rarely bake, and I'm not starting now!I'm leaving the flour for those who will use it. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be the all of a sudden 30 pound flour buyer who I am wondering about. Why if a person never bakes do they think they will suddenly exclusively bake? I ge tth epanic at the beginning, Sluggy made good points above, but now that it clearly will be available, I sure hope all that god flour isn't thrown.

      Delete
  10. Uncle Albertsons has soup again, so we got some tins of Cream of mushroom to make a few casseroles this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to boy the large 26 ounce cans of cream of mushroom, but I'm lazy and use if for a couple meals a week, so no waste. OOOH, what kind of casseroles, or as I would say, hotdishes?

      Delete
  11. I do bake, but did not do any real baking this past Christmas, so I had about 10 pounds of flour on hand.
    I am a sale buyer and never bought just enough for the week. I would buy a lot and freeze it in dinner portions, so I still have ground beef, chicken, lamb, corned beef, pork tenderloins, etc. I have found I have gotten obsessive about food waste, so we are not necessarily eating what we would like, but we are eating to finish anything that is left over. I am also cooking less at one time to reduce waste, plus now TheHub and I are sharing a single chicken breast for a meal and I am padding it with something like rice, noodles or potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had bought 5 pounds with y first March shop and had some already but knew I'd be doing more baking once home. My daughter got me a spare on March 27th, and this weekend I started using that. I'm going to guess we are using about 5-6 pounds a month right now, so about 50% more. As long as I can keep getting fresh vegetables, I'll be loading our meals with those. Little by little I am done a few pounds.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.