Saturday, April 18, 2020

How Does My Garden Grow?

     If I was named Mary, there would be lots of  rhymes to match my name. I like the Mary , Mary, Quite Contrary...How does your garden grow? Of course the words make no sense in 2020, but I want to harness my inner Mary and get going today. No True Green spoiling my efforts; no ridiculous April snow. My older daughter is coming over and we will have a grand old time outside figuring out how to dig our plot for the garden and what might go where. We'll go around and collect all the twigs and branches as well that have blown in or off trees. Maybe well have another fire tonight. 

     I do not know much about gardening. Even looking things up baffles me a bit. The zucchini seeds have gone mad with shoots and the carrots are popping through as well. Nothing for the green peppers though. I may have dud seeds, or maybe they just take a much longer time to  germinate in the soil. What do you know about green peppers? I'll be disappointed if they don't take at all. From what I read it will still be too early to get things put out until after the first full week in May. Here's the growth since the other day when I shared my first little sprout. 




     My sister dropped off an array of masks yesterday. I'll insert a coffee filter to add to the layers. There was a chart posted about the effectiveness of protecting others with a variety of masks types. It showed bandanas as the least, but still 10%. Homemade were next, without linings, but fitted at 20%, but that jumped to between 40 and 60% with a coffee filter inserted. I don't know what to believe, but I figure it has to help, along with social distancing, when I shop this week and then drop off for my  mother-in-law. My sister has made dozens upon dozens, for family and friends, but also part of the  support for health care and other essential workers. 




     If and when things start opening, I think mask wearing will be the new norm, along with  limiting numbers of people inside. I think the work place days of long meetings in enclosed conference rooms will be a long time off. I have an office, but most people in my building are in cubes-they are large cubes but I suspect that there will be a required staggering so no one is next to or across from each other on the same day. The nice thing about gardening is there are no cubicles, and shared copiers, and all sorts of other things to hold germs. We can fully breath in, enjoy and hope for what might come from our efforts. 

15 comments:

  1. I am planting in boxes supplied to me by the research project. I will not be transplanting carrots as I am not sure about those. I will direct sow. Plus, I will plant in five-gallon buckets. Good for you. I am sure gardening will be better than a cubicle/office or stressing/fretting inside. I have grown peppers but from bedding plants. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seeds for the peppers were $ .59 so if they don't grow, I'm not out much-I'm still hopeful. Maybe that is my issue? The egg cartons needed more dirt. I know carrots are easy to find, but they were part of the limited seeds available. I also think they are so cute when they grow-love the carrot tops.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your gardening. We do not have a yard in order to garden and our house does not really get good sun anywhere so that is off the table for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I plan to put the garden should get both morning and afternoon, at least for a while. I am hopeful!

      Delete
  3. I have never, ever managed to grow green peppers. Chile peppers yet, but not bell peppers, no matter where I lived, New England, the southwest, or here. The most I managed were a few plants here, a few years ago, but no peppers. Good luck! Yesterday, I found raspberry canes at the grocery store. The weren't the variety I was looking for, but I figured it would save me a trip to another store, so I bought them. We did get lumber for my raised beds, so those go in later today. Now all I need to do is drag my bean poles from my old yard, and find pole bean seeds--I know exactly the variety I want, which will require a trip to the nursery--an essential business here, but I can call ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After DH plowed down all the raspberries-they were out of control, and not growing well-I'm hoping I can salvage a couple shoots and start again.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your gardening experiments! I miss having a garden as we recently downsized to a townhouse. Veg gardening is so much fun! I've never done peppers from seed before, just bedding plants. Carrots grow slooooowly. Try radishes (if you like them) for a quick reward! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for radishes, but enough extended family does. As I am a newbie, and an unskilled newbie at that, I won't get to ambitious.

      Delete
  5. Pepper seeds are slow to germinate, so hold on in there!
    I am so pleased that you're having a go at growing vegetables. It still gives me a thrill, even after more years than I care to remember, that a tiny tomato seed, grows into a huge plant laden with fruit. I think of all the different things we grow, they're the one that amazes me the most. I visited the plots yesterday, and the asparagus is peeping through! It's the second year so we'll be able to cut a few. Next year we'll be able to harvest properly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get some tomato plants, more fully started. Thanks for the encouragement on the pepper plants. If I see other varieties, like Meg suggests above, I may give them a go. If not, I am a farmers market gal, and can appreciate what the true green thumb folks can do.

      Delete
  6. Some things come up fast like peas, never grown zucchini but once it is in the ground it takes off! It's nice to have omething to look forward to like gardening - no matter what comes out of the ground afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire gardeners and even live with one for the moment but personally do so from afar without participating. And she mainly does flowers rather than veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If gardening was not east we would all starve. The earth was meant to reproduce you will be fine. It is a lot of work but rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peppers seeds can take up to three weeks to sprout. Keep them warm, moist in a dark place. Top of the refrig is a great place or near a wood stove if you have one. Hope it all grows for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no luck with peppers either. Weird isn't it. Zucchini are taking off like triffids and also my tomato plants but I guess I'll have to hang fire on the peppers. Are there is no greater joy than home grown tomatoes is there!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.