Thursday, April 2, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Not Squander Time Edition

     It's week, I'm not sure, of the enhanced social distancing, of staying at home being extremely cautious. It's my second full week of working from home. I haven't been in my office since Friday, March 20th. I'm still working, and technically so is DH but working and earning in his business are two separate things. So far my adult kids are either working remotely and being thrifty, living off savings and being thrifty, or living back here doing school work and being thrifty. Yes, thrift is a way of life right now, and in time, resources, and money. Some may think there is too much time on our hands now. Probably so for many people. I personally miss the little amount of stress in rushing to meet deadlines, and juggling a calendar-I guess I thrived on it a bit too much perhaps. I think I've gotten lazy, and I'm not happy with that. My efforts need to step up in the Time category and make better use of it in general. Here are a few things I captured in each of my thrift categories.




Time



  • Continued to clean and organize, as will be the theme for the bulk of my not quite home quarantine. I got my silverware/oddities and dishtowel/table cloth drawers sorted.
  • Card table is uncovered and a puzzle has been started. It will be slow going, but DD2 and I each add a few pieces here and there.
  • Since the Stay at Home Executive Order includes distancing from those not in your same household, we've had to be more intentional and schedule walks with DD1. We've been meeting as weather allows, at a park, and walking a bit aside from each other. It is a highlight of my long days. 
Resources

  • I took advantage of a sunny day to wash some sweaters and sweatshirts and got them outside. Our cool weather is not going to be done for a while and I fully expect another significant snow fall.
  • We ate several individually frozen portions of soup and chili for lunches. These would have been grab and go meals for me at work, but they have added a little variety so we aren't just eating the days before leftovers.
  • I added another egg carton to use to start the vegetable seeds.




Money



  • I have been forgetful about doing the Microsoft Rewards every day, and several times interrupted my streak, losing points. However, I still got to the next level to earn another $5 Target card.
  • DD2 needed a book that she didn't get from her school library, and with libraries closed, couldn't get here. We did find on Amazon, and gladly waited the extra delivery days, plus, I had a $2 credit for taking a survey.
     Waste not is the  mantra here, and importantly that includes time. I've had more elevation/streaming screen time than I would like, and am intentionally trying to limit it to after 8:00. I'm looking for ways to use up all the dabs of food, and have variety. While we will need to belt tighten, we are doing as well as a family could hope for financially during such a crazy time, and for that, I am grateful. 

14 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you've started making use of this new way of life to be more mindful. I like this approach, particularly the frugality.

    And you're getting some satisfaction out of it, a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, faking it is one of my coping mechanisms, and it usually helps turn m y mood and thoughts around.

      Delete
  2. If I didn't have my phone and laptop I would definitely be in trouble but since I do, i'm fine- I was just telling my sister not that much different for me. I'm not one to go out at night and besides my visits for my job and church, my main activities are right here at home. I just surveyed the pantry and have all the ingredients to make magic Eagle Brand bars. I'm waiting to do it though- just 1 can of condensed milk. My dad was in sales so I know how hard it is for you guys and paycheck- Mom never worked outside the home though but we always seemed to do OK. Did your daughter get a room/board refund? I read where many colleges were doing that. My nephew stayed in his city in his apartment and just has his online classes. Sis told him if he came home, there would be no going out at night so he stayed PUT! Thankfully we finally got the shelter at home edict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering that too about room/board refund. I have to say, I am having an unbecoming moment of, well, not sure the feeling, but it's not becoming at all... My son entered his freshman year at a local community college, and I was honestly feeling sorry about that when my friends talked about their kids picking colleges and heading off to dorms. I was sorry my son wasn't experiencing/didn't want to experience that. And, a little embarrassed too. Well, now I am paying 1/10 tuition for the exact experience they are receiving. (Perhaps...kid detests online learning...not sure how this quarter will play out. It may be a washout until summer quarter, assuming things get back to normal by then.)

      Delete
    2. There will be some credit, but mostly for food. Much of her stuff is still technically being stored. (LOL) We still do not know when she will be able to officially move out, but then that will give us time to figure out where to store her things until, fingers crossed, fall. she loved her college experiencing so far, and I am sad for her. At least this wasn't a study abroad semester. Why be embarrassed that your son found his path. I had a mom at a party share her daughter chose the technical college, and she was being defensive a bit. I was like-great for her that she found a program that she is excited to go to. It took the edge off immediately, and she said she was now going to phrase her daughters choice more in terms, she selected XX TC. Nan-I love those magic bars! I don't have the ingredients, but do have stuff for peanut blossoms-even Hershey kisses.

      Delete
  3. We ordered an expensive takeout meal last night (to celebrate Sam doing well in his first two weeks of online learning. A challenge for someone who has ADHD,for sure). I had no idea it would be so expensive. Lesson learned.

    For today, I'll make dinner ahead, as I have a virtual happy hour in the afternoon. I was supposed to be flying to Portland this morning for a girls trip & half marathon. We are very disappointed to be missing it. We haven't seen each other since a one day visit in August.

    I'm also trying to maximize my time here & there, to ensure I make the most out of the new routine. Having something positive to focus on helps

    Last night they announced that school was out through the rest of the academic year, which was... hard to process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never did get take out over the weekend or this week. I'm really taking the stay at home seriously, but I know I could contribute locally better. I'm just very nervous about how long this might last and how low DH's checks will be. Literally nothing is happening at the store.

      Delete
  4. Actually, the time element has not been a problem for me. I often cannot do much for very long, so planning is often an exercise in futility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just like to be more productive. No tv tonight.

      Delete
  5. Waste not is the mantra here too. I also missed out some on Microsoft Rewards and lose my streak too. I try to get it done first thing in the morning, but that doesn't always happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad when I realize I left points sitting thee, but, I usually can make up the quiz's.

      Delete
  6. We too are living that mantra, even though we are fine. I am sure I will feel the pinch when I have no money due to the shop being closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have list going of fresh items and few replacement items, but I really want to keep out of the store, and when I do go-in and out!

      Delete
  7. My time is entirely taken up with teaching online. I have four different classes two with labs, and I really want to do a good job on this. But it's overwhelming! Maybe once the semester is done I'll get to tackle the mess I'm creating at hone!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.