Friday, April 3, 2020

TGIF-But Does the Day Matter?

     Friday-let the weekend begin. It's my last work day of the week, though depending on how much I get done, I may have work that lingers into Saturday and Sunday. I don't mind as it would give me a clearer head and even though I'm technically on line from 7:00-5:00, I am giving myself permission to take frequent breaks. particularly as I am not set up to work full time from home. I have several comfortable places to work from, but my chairs are not ergonomically set to my sitting style as my work office chair. I'm considering ordering a really good chair, even if I just use it at a make shift desk. If anyone has any recommendations on chairs you use in your home office, I'm happy for the suggestion.

     I actually do have plans for the weekend. Both families scheduled Zoom calls/happy hours so it will be nice to see some smiling faces. It may get nice, though very cold today, and if the wood is dry enough, I 'd like to have a fire, and sit outside for a bit, looking at the stars. Without other plans and no place to go, it does not really matter if a nice day is on the weekend, or a week day. does it? I can say, my FOMO, is really under control! I'm not missing out on anything. Idiots ignoring the stay at home, and still gathering, should feel ashamed, and I have no problem calling them out on it-should I ever see them in person again.

     I may not head to the store at all, though I have some baking and meal prep plans. We could stretch for the weekend and not need groceries, though fresh fruits and vegetables are quickly depleting, and after today, no bananas, which is staple for DH and DD2. I have a few celery stalks, onions, one zucchini, and a few carrots. We have a few apples, clementine's, and nectarines. I've canned items, but would like fresh as long as we can access, which doesn't seem to be a supply problem at the moment. It would be nice to have some meat variety, particularly for DH as he still is brining a lunch to the empty store. We'll be out of cheese and yogurt by the end of the weekend.

     My mother-in-law gave us a small list of items to look for her, of course paper towels, TP, and Clorox wipes, but is not in dire need yet, so giving us notice. She is probably stocked to feed an army between her pantry, refrigerators and freezers, but she might want some fresh items. We'll just add her needs to our list, and I've also let DD1 know if she see's things on grandmas list. to go ahead and pick up. Anything we can do to help keep her at home. The problem though in not popping out at least weekly, is then my list will grow, and it will take longer to shop. It's a bit of a dilemma.



     In good news, we're spending virtually nothing on gas in the cars. The warmer days has helped keep the furnace from running so much, and when chilly, we're all just grabbing another sweater or putting a blanket over our selves until the chill passes. Yes our water bill might be higher with all the extra hand washing and toilet flushing because we are home, so I'll likely compare usage at some point. My work morning started early, as did this post, so trying to finish it while taking a bit of a break. It is cold and rainy now, but I'll bundle up for a walk early this afternoon, after all, that's what umbrellas are for. Let's hear from you. Does the day of the week have meaning to you during the stay at home time? Are you still in a weekend is coming state of mind? How frequently are you going to stores? Inquiring minds need to know.

14 comments:

  1. I had to run the store yesterday as Mom was running low on meat and they had not been able to fill some of that in our last grocery order. I went to one store and it had a lineup, went to our more local grocer and no lineup, was able to get almost everything on our list except paper products, ran to a nearby pharmacy that has self checkout and no lineups and scored boxed tissue and baking soda, 2 hard to find items. Thats it for instore shopping for some time. I do have a grocery order scheduled for April 9 so will try for things that are expensive everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my MIL is fine for now, probably is good for a month, but I'll feel bad if we can't help get her restocked with her items. I hope your mom is doing OK-you had so much time for her to get her out and about and a big change.

      Delete
  2. As for shopping, I was already in a position where I would go weeks in a row without heading into a store, and other weeks, based on sales, go several times, usually on the way back from school drop-off. We attempted to get to Costco yesterday for bulk items which were running low--paper towels, dog food, cat food, half and half. The line was snaked around the building. Apparently they are only letting 25 cards in at a time, with only 2 people per card allowed in. We didn't even bother to park, and headed to the WalMart nearby, where I went in alone and picked up what I needed. Other than the pet food, really nothing was essential, so I was in and out like a flash.
    While I was in WalMart, I figured I should look quickly through the grocery aisles. I had DH phone the house, and he warned the kids that this was a "Speak now or forever hold your peace" sort of trip. None of them really had any requests, but I felt I should make a quick look anyway while I was there. I found things like DS' favorite cookies at 2/3 the price of what they are in our local supermarket, so I picked up several packages as a treat. I don't see where I will have to go out again.
    As for the weekend frame of mind--I realized today, when I told DH that we needed to get the garbage can out, that we really had lost a sense of the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-garbage bins were almost forgotten here as well. I used to think I was over stocked, but not for more than two weeks other than some pantry staples, or the beginning of the month. I guess this will teach us all to be better prepared-but not hoard!

      Delete
  3. We are planning to go to the store today (first time in 8 days) to stock up. With the kids, we are going through so much food, it's hard to go longer. But, in a pinch, we certainly could.

    We're not really in a weekend state of mind here yet, particularly because the weather is supposed to be dark & rainy again. :-( We'll get through & will find fun things to do to entertain ourselves. (I say that, hoping I can make it happen. Positive mindset & all that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky DD2 is a light eater. I was worried with it being so easy to access food all day, I'd be snacking non-stop, but that t hasn't been the case. I guess I can have some self control. And since I am focusing on replacing fresh when we do shop, and I have time to get meals started, or the college kid does, we are eating less convenience food. Perhaps our quality of food has increased, off setting the negative impact this stress has on me.

      Delete
  4. Well we did go to the store yesterday and today. Yesterday for animal supplies, we were running low and as it may get worse here and the numbers rise I am less likely to go out. Today it was for a prescription that came in and I have to have, but I wore a mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think pup has at least half of his 16 pound bag of food, but should grab one the next time we see it. I think Walmart or other chaos places will be out of my sight for a while, and concentrate on our nearby store where we can get in and out.

      Delete
  5. Sunshine puts me in a weekend state of mind, never mind the day it is. I suppose now that church is not meeting, the garbage day and my appointments are the only things we need to pay attention. I went to two groceries today and got what I needed and things I would need in the future. It is warm and sunny here, in the 70F. I love it. Today, I went out and picked salad and got in kale for bean soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a kale liker, but I can see how it might perk up soup. I just have so many people relaying on me, I am trying extra vigilantly to stay safe from this virus, but also common cold and other things that still can make me unwell.

      Delete
  6. Not much going on here- my daughter sent me a book from amazon and I've almost finished it. I'm still working but mainly phone calls and learning a new system that will replace paper. GS's HS graduation has been officially cancelled- I think my daughter and I were more disappointed than he was but we can still have a party for him later. I had my first virtual doctor's visit- any fever? any cough? BP good? I'll fax your prescription in right now...that was it- next appointment scheduled for 6/30. Have a good weekend- I vow to not work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter writes poems, and is very good. She has a couple collections worth and I'm helping her do a little arranging. It will be a nice and positive activity to do with her, even if we are not in the same house. I am so sad for the young people, and especially those with graduations, weddings, and other special events that are being cancelled or postponed indefinitely.

      Delete
  7. Oddly enough I'm still very aware of what day of the week it is, probably because I'm marking off the lockdown days (day 19 here). I also avoid grocery shopping at the weekend because I reckon those that are working need to be able to get in there then. I went grocery shopping yesterday and it really is fine here. My "Fresh" store (I just love it) had maybe 20 people in there and then they held people back for a few minutes before letting any more in. Then I went to a grocery store and I would say only 10 people in there and everything was available, although shelves a little "tired". It's weird because when I went past my usual store they were lining up to get in and yet this other store was freely open. I guess we all have our habits though. I did take a looking a my mileage counter and I've only done 50 km in 3 weeks - all to the grocery store I guess, so I that offsets what I reckon are slightly higher grocery bills. Strange times though aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than my trek to the river or falls for walks-far apart, with my daughter, and last night trip to the McDonalds lot for WIFI, I've gone no where since my last call center shift. They are now 6 hour shift, and I just can't do that during the work week as I'm needed for my own job, and the weekend shifts were registered for, so unless an emergency, I might not have to do that again.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.