Monday, June 1, 2020

Heeling Not Enough and Thank You

     Thank you for all your positive comments after my post on Friday after being trolled. It meant a lot. This too will be short and then tomorrow, I hope to resume blogging my  boring blather once again. Unless you escaped all news sources, you know it was a turbulent and scary weekend all across the country and internationally. We spent the weekend under strict curfews. My daughters went to a peace march/protest yesterday, but like all peaceful gatherings lately, it turned scary in the closing moments with a semi somehow getting through the closed entrance and moving through the crowd of protester's. Thankfully no injures, and it really isn't clear if it was intentional, or if legitimately  a clueless driver not realizing what was happening. 

     I didn't want my kids to go. I was sick with worry from the minute they left until they got back to my daughters, literally the minute of curfew starting. It took them an hour alone just to get out of Minneapolis, and then they had to side street through St Paul as they couldn't get on the freeways. I did not want them to go, but the younger was so insistent, and I was awfully thankful my older daughter went too. They were with others as well. As my daughter is likely to say to me when I see her, this is how so many mothers feel in many communities every single day their children leave their home. The constant fear and worry has to be like living in a war zone at all times. 

     I talked with my son in LA. They were on curfew as of 4:00. He is very worried about the potential for martial law to take over, and the current federal administration using this as a way to gain total control and cancel elections in November. I am just praying some positive change and action happens over the protests, riots and the wake up that this country, this world, is not doing right for all human kind. We collectively need to do better in every action we take as individuals, small or large.

     I don't think two white girls from a small town being at the rally made a bit of difference to the masses. It made a difference in our family though. I'm sure they'll get questioned and some aunts and uncles, cousins, even their friends will think they were stupid, reckless, and even wrong to protest police brutality in the heart of a large city after days of riots. Some may call the catalyst that sparked this fire as an individual action of an individual (with three onlooker) cop, instead of just another tragic example of a whole system that is embedded in institutional racism. Now. we as a family will process and figure where we put money to help rebuild, where we volunteer, what we do to help bring change. This on top of what we are trying to do with COVID19 relief. Thanks for all your support readers and put that support where it will impact your part of the world. . 

16 comments:

  1. I think your daughters did the right thing to go - and as a mom I would have been worried to death also. At least they stood up for what they know to be right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how scary that was for you. I don't think he has the power to delay the election of a new president. I hope not anyway.

      Last night, here is Birmingham, protestors pulled down a statue they deemed racist. Just this moment, the mayor declared a curfew and said "no more protests." 7am to 7 pm is no problem for me.

      Delete
  2. It's a really hard time right now. I'm with you. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very strongly about protests and think it is the absolute right of those protesting. I live with a certain privilege that I never asked for, it was just given and it should be afforded to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Anne! I agree with you 100%. People of color are sick & tired of being treated like second-class citizens & fearing for the lives of their husbands, sons & brothers every single day in this country. This has to stop. I am all for peaceful protests, which we did have here in our Midwest town, too.

      Delete
  4. My daughter wanted to join one, and I would have supported it, save the drive to Seattle. It was a bit dicey, but only in a few areas. I think people really do want healing, but violence and destruction are the voice of the oppressed. It is not so bad to threaten martial law here, but the National Guard was put on notice. Anarchy? My thoughts? Well, I think that when we have policeman killing men while their compatriots look on and do nothing, or rubbing its hands together for several months, trying to find a reason for a young black man to have died, you already have an anarchic state. The elections can't come soon enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they were very brave and did the right thing. Well done girls. I would also have been worried to death!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also be scared to death, but good for them. My son in law has been called over to Seattle for riot control and I am not happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your girls were part of history - and no matter how much Mom worried (or your Mom if you were them) they wanted to be there to make a point. Hopefully people will be mad enough they won't take it anymore from this administration. Hugs - not easy when your kids are grown and make tough decisions even though ultimately it was brave and with the right intent

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be proud of your daughters. As a mother I would have been terrified for their safety as well. There is supposed to be a protest in my small town tonight. Reading things on social media and the official page, I am terrified by what is going to happen. I just know things are really hard right now with no apparent right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so glad to hear that you and your family were safe. My husband believes the driver was ill informed as he initially was driving fairly fast but as he entered the crowd, he slowed down. I want to believe that as well. I'm glad your girls were not hurt and were able to find a way home before curfew. I appreciate their determination to protest, but share your concern for their safety. Kudos to the girls and their bravery. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your daughters were brave to go . Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot even begin to imagine your worry & stress with the girls attending this rally, but you should be damn proud of them for standing up for what is right. People of color are angry, they're frustrated & tired of not being treated as equals in this country. This has been going on far too long. I have black friends & I feel their pain. Their frustration. Their heartache for their children & grandchildren. You have to be proud of your girls acknowledging & supporting this injustice! Yay, mom! You & had have raised some great people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please thank your daughters from me and my daughter SAM. I've seen the stares and heard the comments that she and her fiance get when they are out together. When they are choosing where to go on holiday, their first criteria isn't cost, or places to see, but how much racism there is in that country. Even going somewhere in the UK can be difficult. Racists are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From your fellow Minnesotan, today was my full on breakdown crying most of the morning day. I guess I'm just done in. I feel sad, angry, powerless. I grew up in the cities, still miss it and love it but things need to change. (In the whole US also). But I will say say the fires and fighting and looting just gives me anxiety, my daughter lives just near the edge of NE Minneapolis. As I was a crying mess to her I'm saying "then you ad in the blankety blank Covid!!!". I went into my work yesterday only to the front office as I needed to do some computer training (my part time job but I do miss it) which probably added to this. I'm over 65 and work in a hospital so have followed the shelter in place. I don't qualify for unemployment so a little snip to the resources. Miss my family contact, hugging grandkids .......... And then Minneapolis happens. And what else can I say. Here's to better days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to thank you for at least saying this! I haven't seen a lot of the bloggers i read, haven't said one iota. your kids understand black people are living a life so different from their own, i respect it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.