Friday, July 10, 2020

Friday Thoughts on Budgets and Wellness

     Good morning and happy Friday to you all. I am feeling pretty good for the most part. I have a sore throat still and a constant dry tickle kind of cough, which is one of the COVID symptoms. Despite a negative test result, I imagine I might still have contracted the virus. Imagine is the key word though, but I do worry. After the bought of rain yesterday morning, the stifling heat and humidity finally broke, though DH said it felt soupy mowing the lawn yesterday. Today through Sunday is supposed to be pretty perfect weather. I'd like DH to take it easy this weekend-last weeks heat really took its toll on his wellness and even though he had a little R&R last weekend, he was pretty wiped after doing outside work yesterday after three days in and out of the sun and heat at work. Did I mention he is on the 42 month mark of retirement? Some days I am not sure he'll reach that date, and we should do some planning for what a March 2021 retirement might look like. That is when he could start drawing without penalty on his retirement. Likely  it would mean me delaying my retirement, currently aiming for  exactly eight years from now. While he is in an office type job being in sales, he has to be in and out in both excessive hot and cold weather,  on top of working long days and takes few days off. He's been researching what a hoe based business could look like-enough to help our cash flow, but without the wear and tear on his health. 

     My older daughter and I are heading right after work to go to the cabin until tomorrow afternoon, though depending on if DH decides to come on Sunday, I might stay Saturday night as well. No one else is expected to be there tonight since my nephew from the large family  has a LaCrosse tournament out of state and they are all going. It's doubtful my MI will come up if his family does not, but we'll see. If she does, it's typically not until later Saturday morning. DH's sisters husband was up yesterday and probably today, with the same idea of having the place to himself. He may or may not be there, but he's more conscientious than I am even being about social distancing and precautions, even more so with his new preterm grandson he'd like to meet. DD2 has to work 3:00 to close both days of the weekend, but has plans tonight with a friend, and is hoping to go berry picking in the morning with another. After today, she has just six weeks left at the school. and seven weekends at the restaurant, not counting any shifts she might take when she is home on breaks. 

      As for the budget, groceries are back to being high. I haven't left town to go to Aldi and between last Friday and yesterday, I spent an obscene $174 on groceries and quick take out of BK biscuit sandwiches and Subway. Scaling up the spending rate will put us back over $525 without any true take out meals. While I'm trying to track, I'm not concerned other than the sticker shock when the cashier tells me the total. Our sum of entertainment this month has been gas to get to the lake, that little bit of  fast food, and a cocktail or two. I'm leaving DH and DD2 with taco/bowl/macho fixings. pus there is leftovers from Thursday's ravioli. DD2 made salad and bean burgers for us, plus I have chips and salsa, and snacks at the lake. I'm so far of menu planning ideas, I didn't even try in the grocery store. What I bought added up fast, and doesn't seem to be a lot of meals. Sunday I may plan better and do an Aldi shop that could get us to the end of the month. 

     I got my prescription refilled yesterday when I was out and gasped at the price being 3X higher than I remembered. Then I looked and thy had actually changed to a three month supply, so it was the same. This is a slightly different dose, but still just one time per day. I need to take 30 minutes before food, so now is a good time to do so. I smell my coffee is ready. I wasn't sure what to call this post, but I guess it is a meandering thought dump of  budget planning in relation to wellness.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're starting to feel better and think with the scare you had at the ER I wouldn't worry too much about the grocery bill either. I'm just curious, when you all go up to the lake place, what do you do re bed linens? Does everyone take their own or do they get washed up there. If there's a lot of people using the place I guess it is an issue. And wouldn't it be lovely if your hubs could retire next March. Only you can know if that's doable but it's great to dream isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of my MIL's childrne have thier own bedroom andhandle the bed linens. this year is differnt as we decided no other non-family would be coming to the cabin until COVID is safer, but the rule is if anyone knows they will be having addiitonal guests, , we change the sheets, eaving them clean, and then "host" is repsonble for putting clean sheets baxk on for our next visit. For the make shift beds, ari mattresses, futos etc., we have extra sheets that we either bring home and back (same with extra beach towels) but we do have a washer and dryer there. It really has worked slick-we are just repsonble for our own family really, na dI rellaize how fortunate we are to have such a big place with so many bedrooms. There is also bunk bed room that moslty my twin niece and nephew use./my MIL has an main floor room wiht an en suite bathroom. Isuspect that room will evenutally become ours, but she is helahty and uses the cabin most weekend sn summer so will be a long time, God wiling.

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed that I can comment. I made some adjustments, so let's hope it works!

    Hope you have a wonderful & relaxing time at the cabin.

    We are getting ready for some wild & crazy menus at our house, as our kitchen will be closed for construction for at least a month, maybe more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow-You are getting a ne kitchen! Well, a month of snadwiches, salads, grilling, and occasional take out will be mnageable I guess. I am sure your are excited for the finished product.

      Delete
  3. I am extremely worried about any doctor trip where i have to take off my mask. I need endoscopy, colonoscopy, and stretching of my esophagus. All those need me to take off the mask! And, i imagine i have caught the virus as a sneeze, cough, and any other symptoms...like extreme pain in my body that is a reaction to a med. I laugh at myself at these times and assure myself it is not true!

    So far this month i have managed to keep the cost of groceries down. Tommy has to be fed when we are out, so if i don't feel like making his sandwich, we get one. I don't want his blood sugar dropping while driving ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried for them-all the medical team was so safe, I didn't have a single worry for me.

      Delete
  4. They have done that to Hubs with a three month prescription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still only $21, but i was used to it being $7.

      Delete
  5. wellness seems so expensive these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, a reminder that preventative measures are better than fixing later. Thank you for your work helping your patients.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.