Wednesday, July 15, 2020

My Daughter's Vegan Pantry-Pizza Bean Burgers and Pasta Salad

     I wish I had a picture of the  pizza bean burgers my daughter made last weekend and we enjoyed both Friday night for dinner and Saturday for lunch. I kept meaning to snap, but then my stomach got in the way. These were tasty, and she made 6 substantial patties, cooked on side one for about 20 minutes in the oven, turned and cooked another 15.  We didn't have marinara, but a little ketchup was good-perhaps a mix of ketchup/mayo would be good as well. My daughter buys dry beans and prepares them each week, freezing what isn't used in recipe portions. this keeps the cost so low, plus the additional sodium or other additions that might be found in canned foods. I think the recipe would make a nice alternative meatball for pasta or a meatball sandwich. 

     Along with the burgers, we had fruit and a brown rice pasta salad. A nice hack I learned, the three bean salad makes a nice addition along with fresh peppers, carrots, tomatoes, and assorted olives, including the last of a garlic infused green olive she had left in her refrigerator. She kept i undressed and we used either just prepared Italian, or her lemon vinaigrette, which was a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and I think a touch of sugar to cut the acid. She left me a large portion of the salad which DH ate gladly on Sunday. 

Yum!


I linked the recipe she used for the most part, but below are the substitutes from her pantry..:

1 1/2 cup cooked Red Rice, brown rice divided
1 can dried prepared Cannelini Beans, rinsed and divided
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Ground Flax
1/4 cup Fresh Dry to taste Basil, packed
2 Dry to taste cloves Garlic
2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes (optional)
1 tsp Salt
Optional Toppings: Marinara Sauce, Red Onion, Lettuce, etc.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really need to get better with pictures.

      Delete
  2. I have cooked black beans in the fridge as I want to give this a try. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She used a white bean in these, which I think made a difference with the Italian inspired flavors, but can't see why blakc beans wouldn't b nice too. She does have a black bean recipe that is similar, but tends to use more chili spices

      Delete
  3. I always cook dried beans except for black beans. For the recipe I use that in, I drain the beans and leave out salt in the recipe. I have dried black beans, and I should cook them. I want to make bean burgers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use canned beans as well, except when I make bean soup, but have two different kinds of bean sin my pantry bought for pandemic pantry. My daughter only uses dry beans.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.