Friday, July 31, 2020

Spending Diary's and Thoughts



     Every frugal writer that has attracted a lot of followers seems to carefully track their spending on a daily basis or did so in their early years of exploring thrift. I've tried off an on, at least in certain categories to do so as much out of curiosity and to give myself spending challenges than out of  a strong desire to know where every penny is going. That's not to say that in our early days of our marriage where collectively  we made less than $35,000 a year, and as first child one then two came along, the expenses went up at a much faster rate than our earnings. Now on the opposite side of the spectrum of life, we start thinking more and more about retirement needs. Whether that be 7-8 months for DH if we can figure that out, or 3 and 1/2 years, and then my own planned for 8 years from now, the questions about where are we spending out money day to day is popping into my head again. 

     Life in a pandemic has changed how I think about spending money. I alternate between wanting to keep our precious funds for when the rainy days become monsoons, and treating ourselves to help ease the stress. The other night out with friends for a walk, a few beers,and a couple appetizers, I didn't think about money when I decided I would pay the tab. One friend had a husband layed off for a year without work, and even now that they are back working, her stress and anxiety  is high. Another has two kids in college and her hours were slashed drastically. We have not had the financial hit as bad as I had anticipated- DH's earnings are much lower than last year, but not so far off a five year average, and that reduction has been off set with reductions in other areas like wear and tear on the car and gas. So far, DS has been managing between savings, unemployment, so far  through the year without help, but could change in the next 6-8 weeks. Though honestly, this has gone on longer than I thought as well with no telling how long it might be. Anyway, it seemed cleaner and easier to pay the bill through my card, plus it was my first night out with friends, not counting just walk meet-ups, and even that has been over 6 weeks. Yet, I buy the Target brand of  oil free SPF15 moisturizer instead of Neutregena, saving 1/2 the cost. It was not thrifty; I ignored mentioning it on last Thursdays post. 

Admittedly, while we are not wealthy, we have a higher than average household income for our state. We own our home and other than putting money into retirement and paying for our daughters college, we do not have debt. It might come across as disingenuis to track  minor spending and writing aobut it. But retiring earlier than 67 scares us both, mainly due to the cost of insurance. I would be able to keep paying for my insurance through retirement, but it will be expensive-likely close to $20,000 a year. Then there would be the plans for a donut policy to cover holes with Medicare, inflation, and out of pocket costs, I think we must plan on at least $24,000, or $2,000 a month just to keep insurance post retirement. When I try and keep our monthly living expenses low, this is my chief motivator. I want us to be used to a thrift lifestyle, while still being able to travel, share in  family celebrations, give gifts to loved one's and occasionally pick up the darn check. 

     I could be more exacting in documenting where we spend and include in a weekly post. If I would, I'm leaning towards things that would be either part of basic living, like utilities, groceries, cleaning and personal hygiene, car gas and maintenance and the optional spending on entertainment, clothing and miscellaneous walking around spending. I'd likely leave off things like daughters tuition, or any monetary support to family or charitable, Christmas spending, and our long term retirement because those are things that would vary so much depending on personal beliefs, stages in life, and household incomes. It would be hard to have apple to apple comparison or conversations about those categories as we are all so different.

     I had left my piggy bank behind since March when this crisis began, but maybe he can join the blog in a different way. My question to you good readers, would a sort of spending log be of any interest to you? Does seeing tally's in certain categories help or annoy you when you read blogs? I think I'm going to give this a go at least for August and September for myself. If you all want to see it as well, on a weekly basis, let me know. 

19 comments:

  1. I would be interested in seeing and comparing with mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope people compare for ideas but lives are so different. I've learned little tip on buying from others that keep logs.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading it, as I'm a bit of a voyeur. I also don't include donations, family help, or gifts we provide others typically, as to your point, it so highly varies based on where you are in life.

    One of our most enjoyable things about this phase is how much we can help others. It's such a delight to be able to pick up a check, pay for a girls trip, make a large donation, help a friend with a medical expense, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things will be rocky between now and such time that the rates of infection either drop drastically and or there is a vaccine-which I think will be well into 2021. I am fully preparing for what later fall and winter might be like and if this helps me plug some holes that will be a win for me.

      Delete
  3. It is always interesting to see a tally of expenses and retirement funds for me even though we operate on very different terms. The standard of living is much different in our countries but, knowing the US well and having spent time over there, I always enjoy reading spending logs. Actually, I like reading your posts no matter what you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch grocery hauls from the UK a lot, and I do think overall groceries are much less there than here, which baffles me. In France I thought they were quite a bit higher, but then I was only in Paris for grocery stores, but I wills ay, the quality was better.

      Delete
  4. I am never annoyed by seeing tallies on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, buthopeflly in a way that bored readers can scroll on by.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good to me. I enjoy reading up on this topic as reading is one of the keys to success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pic up a lot of little tips form people on thrifty sites-some I use, some I file for when it might be relevant.

      Delete
  6. Even though I have lived in the US I suspect it would read like a fiction novel to me because it's totally different to over here and I'd be forever thinking "gee, did we pay that much when we were living in the States?". But whatever works for you. You're right to be thinking about this now so that you can see how realistic (or otherwise) your planned retirement dates are. But $2,000/month for insurance??? Wow, that just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like life right now is like a fiction novel! Yes-looking at open market plans that are similar to what I have, the lowest I found was something like $1300 per month, but then copays, deductibles etc, so I think minimally, we need to plan $2,000 per month.

      Delete
    2. Damn! I pay the equivalent of $170/month for excellent coverage worldwide. I REALLY believe that is one thing that a good President should be aiming to improve in the US. Not sure how they would manage that but really, your insurance costs are horrendous!

      Delete
  7. If I am being honest, I glance at the logs briefly because I think everyone has the right to spend their funds as they choose and it is not my place to judge how anyone spends, (and I know I can be terribly judgmental if I linger too long)
    My big kick is seeing savings (like excellent buys) then kicking myself in the pants for not finding equally good deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a "for myself and your welcome to look in" kind of tracking in the blog. I don't comment on how others spend either unless I like a tips they shared, or they genuinely have asked for feedback. YEs-not my business to tell someone else a thing.

      Delete
  8. I skip right over spending logs, but that's not an issue for me. I like your thrifty Thursday posts. Those are good for me to get ideas. Retirement is a few years off for me, Im doing catch up for failures in early career choices.health coverage is a major concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAme as to Anne, welcome to look, but no offense if this is not anyones preferred post. I like to think on Thursdays-am I doing better economy wise in those areas of time, resource, and money?

      Delete
  9. I enjoy seeing the different expenses in different countries, I love seeing the cost of groceries for e.g & perhaps I should share a bit more of that too. I love seeing a good bargain too. I am shocked by the price of insurance in the US. I think share what you are comfortable with and what is helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing grocery hauls and learning about prices in other parts of the world, but even in my own country as the different parts of the US are like countries of their own when it come to store.My daughter bring me back coffee on her various travels-I love that as a non "stuff" kind of buy, but it also cue sme in on prices a bit.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.